360/273 compatability?

-

rattroaster

Reaction score
i have a 273 65 dart wagon with a 4 speed....i want to put a 360(74 i think) in it is the flywheel gonna work off the 273 for this install...i have heard something about balance issues? any help would be appreciated...thx
and the bellhousing...

The fly wheel wont work. Its its neutral balanced for the internally balanced 273. The 360 is externally balanced.

Yes, the 360 is externally balanced so it needs a flywheel for a "regular" 360 or Magnum 360, depending which you use. They are balanced differently.

The early 273 cranks also have a smaller register for a converter snout to fit into. Not into sticks so I don't know if that would affect things with a 360 and a larger register.

will not work due to balance issues and the flywheel and clutch are so tiny that it wont have enough grip to break the 7 1/4 rear, also the exhaust manifolds are gonna maybe be a problem depending on what year heads are on the engine....318 will bolt in and not be a problem to use with all of the stock pieces

any suggestions on the flywheel i should find to make this work? btw waggin my wagon looks like yours plus 2 more doors:-(

I second reading up on the crankshaft register. Despite being a slightly larger hole in later engines (~67+), I recall reading the hole must be deeper to fit a pilot bearing, but I know little about manual trannys.

by the time you get a 360 flywheel then you need clutch ,pressure plate and a bellhousing to fit, then modify the linkage then depending on what year your heads are , if they have the ears for smog ports the drivers side manifold is gonna give you a sealing issue and if you tighten the bolts it's gonna break plus they are gonna styfil the 360 so now your looking for headers or 340 manifolds...none of this is impossible to do but your the man with the wallet
any suggestions on the flywheel i should find to make this work? btw waggin my wagon looks like yours plus 2 more doors:-(

Also engine mounts are different. I'm just finishing putting my 360 in my 65 dart. Took out the 318/273. It's really that hard to modify the exsisting ones to work. Make sure everything is also well balanced.

Brewers has everything you need to make it work. I got my parts from them and will say they really know and build parts that work great.

-
Back