360 4bbl

-

yts

Reaction score
have 360 in 68 barracuda. engine dies after several miles. after restart engine runs fine. anyone have any ideas.

Can you be a little more specific? Is it intermittent? Did it just start doing it?

Welcome to FABO...

We need more information to be able to help you better...

Is this points or electronic ignition?

What is your timing set at?

Does this only happen when cold? or also hot?

Are you running a choke? What kind?

could be like my buddy that found a dead bug in the long line from the tank !!! LOL he is a pro mechanic and changed the tank and pickup 3 times before blew out that line! LOL
he had bought that duster from me, I drove it to work 60 mi one way with no problem for months! LOL

It runs good other than that, we're assuming. So, we know we have compression and timing. That means it's probably one of two things. Fuel/air delivery, or spark. Next time it just "shuts off", pull the air cleaner off and see if it looks wet in the carb/intake. If it looks like a desert, then it could be something as simple as a sticking float (shut), or perhaps something floating in the tank that blocks the fuel pickup screen. If it looks overly wet, could be choke going shut. If it's spark, well, could be several things.... and you'll get to go hunting...

I'm having this problem with My '72 Duster (400 B) right now.
I know there's a few short comings I have to address. One of the first things I discovered last night was the choke linkage was bent on my TQ. It was t opening up all the way which would explain the lack luster performance and rich running engine.

The other two items on the list are fuel line routing and battery cable. It's to short and runs to close to the headers tubes. The fuel line runs along a hot path next to on top of the cylinder heads and block.

Rerouting of these two items should help a lot.
(If not, I might be back asking questions! LOL!)

just bought car. drove back from Iowa with it. ran fine for first hundred miles. filled up tank and approx. 50 miles later car shut off. buddy following me smelled gas. restarted but did it again. got home ok. now it is just after initial start. after restarts it runs fine.

Since you said it did it after you filled it up, I would suspect junk in the tank.

How long did the car sit? If it has garbage in the tank, it could be plugging the sock on the sending unit.

IF the car has been sitting, I would drop the tank and clean it real well, if it's real bad you may need to replace it. Blow out the fuel supply line up to the front in both directions, check the rubber hoses, they could be band and collapsing. Replace fuel filter, and lastly possible carb rebuild.

Now, having said all that you really need to determine if the fuel is the cause, before going to such lengths.

There are other possibilities, if it randomly shuts down with no kind of predictability. If it keeps doing it, kinda keep track of when it's shutting down, sometimes a bad coil or a bad pick up in the distributor can shut you down randomly.

You might drive 100 miles and shut down, it will restart and you might drive 20 miles and it will shut down.

thanks for the info. i'll start with the tank cleaning and blowing out fuel lines.

-
Back