360 Back from the Machine Shop

-
Well here are some pictures of the 360 already to be installed.

Complete Left Side.jpg

Complete Right Side.jpg

Complete Front.jpg

Awesome build! That is pretty much identical to what I plan to build, except I'll be using the XE274 cam with 1.6 roller rockers and RPM air gap and heads.

Let me know how it runs! I'm jealous.

-Alex

Will Do! I am starting the engine swap this weekend. I hope to fire up the engine next week.

I started the engine awap last weekend and I finished up the ods and ends on Saturday. The engine runs strong, stays cool and doesn't ping. :))

Still have to sort out some clutch adjustment issues and gat an appropriate carb for it. I will get my daughter to do a new exhaust this week and get the front end aligned.

Here are some pics of it sitting in the engine compartment.

Engine In #1.jpg

Engine In#2.jpg

dgc333 said:
I started the engine awap last weekend and I finished up the ods and ends on Saturday. The engine runs strong, stays cool and doesn't ping. :))

Still have to sort out some clutch adjustment issues and gat an appropriate carb for it. I will get my daughter to do a new exhaust this week and get the front end aligned.

Here are some pics of it sitting in the engine compartment.

So how does it run with the 1.6 rockers? I have almost the same setup with my 360 and it's XE268 with the 1.5 units, and was considering doing the swap. But I was curious about what it does to your power band: where does does your 360 "wake up"? Thanks!

regarding thepicture of the assembled engine, why is the harmonic babancer have that extra balancing peice of metal, I used a crank out of a 65 A 318 in a 73 318 block with stock rods and pistons, I just hope I didn't **** anything up

mikesduster said:
that intake looks like a EDELBROCK AIRGAP!!!
Yes it does, but it's not. Look closer and notice the "LA" bolt holes. That there be a crosswind.

SilverFish said:
So how does it run with the 1.6 rockers? I have almost the same setup with my 360 and it's XE268 with the 1.5 units, and was considering doing the swap. But I was curious about what it does to your power band: where does does your 360 "wake up"? Thanks!

Pulls strong from 1500 rpm and really comes on strong from 2500 to 6000 rpm. I will rev right on past 6000 but I have 6000 as a self imposed redline. The rocker ratio won't change the rpm range noticebly but should give you more power in the same range.

americanmuscle said:
regarding thepicture of the assembled engine, why is the harmonic babancer have that extra balancing peice of metal, I used a crank out of a 65 A 318 in a 73 318 block with stock rods and pistons, I just hope I didn't **** anything up

The engine is a 360 which is externally balanced. There is an extra weight on the balancer and extra weights on the torque converter with an auto tranny or in my case weight removed from the fly wheel on the opposite side.

mikesduster said:
that intake looks like a EDELBROCK AIRGAP!!!

The Professional Products CrossWind does look a lot like the RPM Air-Gap but if you look at them side by side there are quite a few differences beyond just the dual mounting pattern.

Hi, doing the same thing with a 340, flat tops,xe268 etc. What kind of gas are you planning on running? Is this going to be a street ride? what carb are you going with this set up? walt :thumblef:

I have 10.6:1 compression and have been running the engine on 89 octane. It's strickly a street car. I am currently running a 600 cfm vacuum secondary Holley but will be swapping on a 670 cfm Street Avenger Holley before spring.

Since I won't be spinning this engine past 6000 rpm I feel the smaller carb will be a an overall better performer.

dgc333 said:
Pulls strong from 1500 rpm and really comes on strong from 2500 to 6000 rpm. I will rev right on past 6000 but I have 6000 as a self imposed redline. The rocker ratio won't change the rpm range noticebly but should give you more power in the same range.

That's about what I figured, and yes the RPM range looks very much in line with the way my 360 runs with the 1.5 rockers. I too have found that it will happily pull past 6000, but make it a point to shift anyway as I have no desire to unecessarily abuse the bottom end. Thanks for the input!

I also noticed that you are running a 4150 on it. I know a few anal retentive CFM calculators would say that more would be a waste, but you might want to try something a little larger to see a huge gain between 4-6K. I slapped a 4781 :shock: (had one laying around) along with a 1" spacer on my 360 and I was shocked to discover that it is quite happy. Try it, you might like it......

Cheers! :burnout:

Ultimately I would like to borrow some different carbs to try before investing. I would hate to go out and purchase a 750cfm and find that I have lost some of that great throttle response that I currently have so if I don't get an opportunity to try some I will likely go with the 670cfm Street Avenger.

I have a fairly similar setup. Topped with the Holly 670 street avenger. My motor seems extremely happy with it. If you have access to a few carbs to try out, why not, but I think you would be happy with the 670. If you get worried, Jet downs a 770 ;)

-
Back