360 build

-

Boneswell

Reaction score
Originally I built this engine for my van but I decided that that was a waste and purchased a duster. I decided to throw a more significant cam at it and save as much of the original build as I could. I'm working close with my machinist to make sure it's not scrap metal as soon as it starts up. This isn't an ideal build at this point but I'm curious if someone has run something similar and to what general results? My goals are burnouts, hooliganism and mayhem.

Initial build:
-.060 360 LA
-EQ magnum heads w/2.02 valves measured 62cc
-stock magnum rockers
-Stock resized rods w/arp bolts
-Kb232 pistons .025 down
-Comp xe268h cam

Currently:
Milled heads to 60cc
Recommend by lunati beehive springs
Lunati 60412/20200712 which is a retrofit roller 282/290, duration @.50 231/239, .535/.550 lift, 110lsa
Should be 9.65:1 compression
"2500" stall
391 gears

I'm not a professional engine builder and in hindsight I would have done things a little different but these are the cards dealt to myself.

I don't think you will have a problem reaching those goals. :)
Depending on a few other details that should put you right around 400hp and close to the same for torque.

You do know about the lift limits on the EQ's or did you have the guides taken down?

My Mag is pretty close to that but with 9:1 compression and a cam ground for mid range torque.
It's 214/224 with .512 lift on a 110
EQ's with 1.92 valves and LA intake pattern bolts
Hughes 310lb springs with the clearance retainers
Edelbrock dual plane and Edelbrock 600cfm electric choke.
1 5/8 tube headers into 2.5 inch duals
Mine is a daily driver so I'm not in it for all the HP I can get out of it.

I also have the 1995 Dakota automatic with overdrive and freeway gears in the rear, and man is it a freeway runner.
It gets 25mpg on the hiway at 90mph. :D
(8 miles to the gallon better than the stock 318 and 904 did.)

Last edited:
Yes. As soon the cam and lifters arrive the machinist us going to do his part and make sure everything works together. He's a good mopar guy and has lots of experience with magnum style heads. I've made a few calls to lunati and am trying to make good decisions. I think my weak link are the kb232's. They were fine for the van engine but in hindsight the 107's might have been a better choice.

Yes. As soon the cam and lifters arrive the machinist us going to do his part and make sure everything works together. He's a good mopar guy and has lots of experience with magnum style heads. I've made a few calls to lunati and am trying to make good decisions. I think my weak link are the kb232's. They were fine for the van engine but in hindsight the 107's might have been a better choice.

I think you will be pretty happy with it, and probably still able to run regular in it.
Mine runs just fine on 87 and the only difference I noticed using better gas was it got just a bit better mpg, but I couldn't tell any difference it how it ran.

I think you will be pretty happy with it, and probably still able to run regular in it.
Mine runs just fine on 87 and the only difference I noticed using better gas was it got just a bit better mpg, but I couldn't tell any difference it how it ran.

It looks like you have a nice setup. I think I would have been plenty happy just leaving it the way it was but hey, at least 25% of hotrodding is bench racing and blabbing about your engine build.

Thanks for your input.

It looks like you have a nice setup. I think I would have been plenty happy just leaving it the way it was but hey, at least 25% of hotrodding is bench racing and blabbing about your engine build.

Thanks for your input.

Ain't that the truth.:D
What is it going in?

Ain't that the truth.:D
What is it going in?

Its going in my desert tan '75 duster. I have some pics on my profile page. Ugly car for sure but I've gutted it, POR on the floors, rebuilt the dash and everything behind it. Dynomat. New vents. New windshield, headliner, seat covers and carpet. It's going to feel like new inside. The car was very solid when I got it. It also came with 2 8.75 rears and a small block 727's and a spool mount V8 k frame for 2500 bucks. Rusters fetch a lot of money in western Washington so this was a steal considering my geographic location

-
Back