360 clatter - High volume oil pump/deep oil pan

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I've just had a 360 motor rebuilt. It was an original complete motor. Heads were done, block boiled and bored 30 thousands with a mild hydraulic cam. I'm getting a lot of noise and clatter on the top of the motor. I have installed new rockers and shafts (holes facing down pointing toward the outside of the motor). On start up I get 40-45 lbs of oil pressure at idle and then it drops to 15-18 lbs at idle when hot. I have a Melling high volume oil pump with a stock replacement Milodon 5 qt (4 plus filter) oil pan. Yesterday I was inquiring about an oil pump pressure spring to increase the engine oil pressure and was told from a tech at Jeg's that I need to install a higher capacity oil pan (7qt) if I'm running a high volume oil pump because the stock pan capacity won't keep up with demand. He also recommended putting adj. rockers on the motor instead of the non adj. I'm using now. I have only driven the car about 30 minutes in which the ticking under the valve covers disappeared for a short time but returned the next day on a cold startup. I have not driven the car since. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

1. Ceck oil press with a mechanic gauge/instrument

2. wrong mounting of shafts wil only give no oil to rockers, no pressure loss.

3. was the block top decked/milled? and did u install new lifters to

4. pls dont say u have bought proform alu rockers and if so are they 1.6
ratio?

5. if u installed std rocker notise that there is a right and left.. misplacing will make the rockers not
meet valve stem correct

hope this could be some help.
br Joe

Thanks Joe. The block deck was not milled and yes the lifters are new. I doubled checked the l-r rocker position so I'm pretty confident they are installed correctly. I was looking at the proform aluminum rockers but have not purchased anything yet....are they junk? Larry

btw i forgot to say.. only check for 2, 3,4, 5 if the oil pressure guage shows better numbers. if not there is a seriouse oil somewhere or hmmmm, u could always check the clerance from pickup to pan.. should be a minimum 10mm.. if they replaced the pump. check for the easyest issues first..

they are junk.. the was installed on the valvetrain issue 340 i just posted here today. one adjusting ball bolt broke off 1 time (replaced all of em with crane), my friend broke 1 rocker in the middle.. some speedshop sells nice stainless steel on ebay.. they look like a better choice www.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...mQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem19b6acc
578QQitemZ110438958456QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

over to the oil press, u could see the pickup trough the drain plug when the oil is drained.. with a good flashlight.. try this first

Thanks a million...I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to get at it.....Larry

Ticking of lifters has very little to do with oil pressure. It's usually the preload that is screwed up for a variety of reasons. What is the lifter proload as it stands right now? This is the distance between the top of the plunger in the lifter body and the plunger's retaining clip. Best to measure this without firing the egnine in the morning so the lifters have bled down a little.

Ticking of lifters has very little to do with oil pressure. It's usually the preload that is screwed up for a variety of reasons. What is the lifter proload as it stands right now? This is the distance between the top of the plunger in the lifter body and the plunger's retaining clip. Best to measure this without firing the egnine in the morning so the lifters have bled down a little.

Agreed!! Doesn't take much oil pressure to pump up a lifter, check the preload.

Man thats 3 posts of ticking in 2 weeks,I was one of them.I have yet to get rid of my tick.Checking preload for me will be a chore.

Was the plug installed in the vertical oil passage from the guage port to the pump? If its missing or not seated correctly you will not get much pressure.

Larry

Your oil pressure sounds perfectly normal and is plenty sufficient. I've had engines that only had 5 lbs of oil pressure at idle not have any lifter noise. Check the lifter pre-load as Moper said.

BTW: When are you getting the noise? All the time? Only under acceleration? Deceleration?

The clatter is there all the time now....it disappeared for about 15 minutes on a half hour ride but then returned on startup the next day on a cold engine and has not quieted down since....also, the motor builder did not put a pvc valve on the engine although there are breather caps on each valve cover. Dors that make any difference?

Try this I did not sure way tho.lower your idel to almost to the point of stall my tick went away but turn the speed up again comes back.Maybe thats a tell tale of what is happening.

don't forget to see that the port plug is in the lifter passage at the rear, right above the distributor drive gear. remove the dist. and look in the hole.put your finger or a mirror in thr hole and look for the plug. i forgot this pipe plug on a 360 once 20 years ago and it drove me nuts trying to get it to shut up.good luck,postcar.

don't forget to see that the port plug is in the lifter passage at the rear, right above the distributor drive gear. remove the dist. and look in the hole.put your finger or a mirror in thr hole and look for the plug. i forgot this pipe plug on a 360 once 20 years ago and it drove me nuts trying to get it to shut up.good luck,postcar.

It has good oil pressure so it has to have the plug in. Without that plug you have very low oil pressure.

The clatter is there all the time now....it disappeared for about 15 minutes on a half hour ride but then returned on startup the next day on a cold engine and has not quieted down since....also, the motor builder did not put a pvc valve on the engine although there are breather caps on each valve cover. Dors that make any difference?

Ok. Just wanted to verify it wasn't just happening under acceleration which could have been spark knock. It sounds like not enough lifter pre-load as mentioned earlier. Not having a pcv valve could lead to moisture build up in the oil. Has nothing to do with your noise.

How about this?.....if the engine rebuilder reground the cam and decreased the base circle, wouldn't that throw the pre-set adjustment out of whack....on his non-adjustable setup? Or....if a hotter cam was installed and called for adjustable rockers? I always go adjustable on my rockers, especially with a non-stock cam.

-
Back