360 converter to a 318

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the tired 727 in my 66 Cuda with a 904 that I had built several years ago. The 904 cam out of my 67 dart with a 360. I have a 318 in the cuda now. I know the torque converter was good behind the 360. Can I knock the weights off of the 360 converter and use behind the 318?

Your positive the 904 was behind the 360 in your 67 Dart? I ask because the 360 wasn't used until the 70's and the input shaft spline is different on a 67 904 to a newer one. If your sure the converter is right for the trans. the answer is yes you can just knock off the weight and use it behind a 318.

BTW: you said weights as in more than one? There in only one weight used to counterbalance a 360. It's on the front (engine) side of the converter. There are other thin weights on the outer diameter of the converter but those need to be left on cause they balance the converter to neutral balance.

Yes it is a non lockup 904. It has 2 large weights on the front side of the converter. I figured I would try it anyway so I went ahead and took them off. I did leave the small thin weights on the outside of the converter. Hope to have it back on the road by Thursday and try it out. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, remove the big thick weights on the flexplate side and it should be fine.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing while I build up a 360 to use it's torque converter with a 318 in the meantime but I was under the impression the stall will actually be reduced. Mine also has 2 weights, I am still trying to figure out who built it but it is a high stall 360 core (CR13H).

IMG_2011.jpg

Mine had the 2 big weights just like that. Same spot too. Don't know who built my converter. It is painted a turquoise color. No writing on it . Hate to waste a good converter and spend extra cash. I'll let everyone know what happens. Picking up my new drive shaft today and the new starter should be in tomorrow.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing while I build up a 360 to use it's torque converter with a 318 in the meantime but I was under the impression the stall will actually be reduced. Mine also has 2 weights, I am still trying to figure out who built it but it is a high stall 360 core (CR13H).

The stall will be somewhat less with it behind a 318 cause the 318 makes less engine torque. The higher the engine torque the higher the stall speed.

just out of curiosity how did it work and how did you take the weights off? Die grinder? Air chisel? How careful should I be?

Die grinder and hammer and chisel. Be careful not to take any off the converter itself if at all possible. I always grind them to within about a millimeter of being off then use a chisel and hammer to knock them the rest of the way off. Then touch up the area with a die grinder to smooth it down.

in case anyone is wonder I have a noticeable improvement with a high stall 360 converter behind a 318 over a low stall stock 318 converter. Is it as good as an aftermarket 3500+ ? Send me one and I will let you know.:-D

in case anyone is wonder I have a noticeable improvement with a high stall 360 converter behind a 318 over a low stall stock 318 converter. Is it as good as an aftermarket 3500+ ? Send me one and I will let you know.:-D

Noticeable, probably. A big difference, I highly doubt it. Close to a aftermarket 3500+ converter, never in a million yrs. even if it was used behind a very torquey 500 cubic inch engine big block. My guess is it might stall 2000-2100 behind the 318 if the 318 is in good tune.

Noticeable, probably. A big difference, I highly doubt it. Close to a aftermarket 3500+ converter, never in a million yrs. even if it was used behind a very torquey 500 cubic inch engine big block. My guess is it might stall 2000-2100 behind the 318 if the 318 is in good tune.
Does that mean your going to send me one? Actually I only mentioned it at all as I was unsure there would be any difference. I havent switched the ring and pinion out yet so it would be pointless to put anything above 2800 in anyway... for now. It's hard because you want to do everything the right way the first time but then you realise even if you did have enough for a D60 with strange axles a new suspension to support it and a hefty 3500+ tc to power it the wife still wouldn't understand why you need $6,000 for something that you already have in a $2000 car... wives..... so silly.

-
Back