360 LA New Build

-
Anyone Know What 412 Means on ROSS 340 Pistons , Looking at another 340 block But he measured with a measuring tape says its 104mm bore 104 would be stock wouldnt it???

A 104mm bore would be ALMOST .060 over by my math. Comes out to 4.09xx so that ain't a stock bore if it is 104mm.

You really need to verify bore size by caliper and bore quality with a dial bore gauge.

A 104mm bore would be ALMOST .060 over by my math. Comes out to 4.09xx so that ain't a stock bore if it is 104mm.

You really need to verify bore size by caliper and bore quality with a dial bore gauge.

True He is not trying Very hard to sell it And From Pics It looks very Rusty in the bore , Was going to buy it as a Backup as It is cheap But May be A Lemon or a Coffee Table

My M8 talked to his engine builder today "He reckoned if a machinist did all sleeved 8 he is just taking your money n doesn't have your interest at heart. He said you'd expect water seepage into the oil under power as the block will distort."

If you talked to your buddy and he has the answers why ask here ?
I can tell you without a doubt there are some very knowledgeable guys on this site that share quite a bit of info and try to help steer others in the right direction .
Wether you want to take their free advise or listen to their knowledge and opinions ?
That depends on you ?

You can lead a horse to water !
Best of luck !!
Hope your m8 helps you sort it all out !!
My M8 talked to his engine builder today "He reckoned if a machinist did all sleeved 8 he is just taking your money n doesn't have your interest at heart. He said you'd expect water seepage into the oil under power as the block will distort."

If you talked to your buddy and he has the answers why ask here ?
I can tell you without a doubt there are some very knowledgeable guys on this site that share quite a bit of info and try to help steer others in the right direction .
Wether you want to take their free advise or listen to their knowledge and opinions ?
That depends on you ?

You can lead a horse to water !
Best of luck !!
Hope your m8 helps you sort it all out !!

Hi Sorry , just trying to gather as much info as I can to make an informed decision , Both opinions could be correct depending on type of sleeve used and who actually does the job, and the way it is carried out , I still want to go Sleeved 340 to help with core shift etc

Hi Sorry , just trying to gather as much info as I can to make an informed decision , Both opinions could be correct depending on type of sleeve used and who actually does the job, and the way it is carried out , I still want to go Sleeved 340 to help with core shift etc
I'm sorry too .
Just stating facts about some of the people giving you info or advice are very knowledgeable .
I can tell you a couple who have commented have built some pretty impressive mopar engines !!
Getting all the facts is a good thing depending on where you get them!
I also understand this is the internet !!
I hope your 340 comes together well and meets your expectations !!
Best of luck !!
Cheers

Picked up my 340 Block Yesterday , next thing is to take both the 340 and 360 for a sonic test, but at a visual the 340 looks good , last digit on engine # is 5 , so walls may be ok but better be safe than sorry

340's typically make more hp and 360's typically make more torque when built the same .
Normally the difference is the same the 340 has the same amount more hp as the 360 ha tq.

Message_1493801559733.jpg
Message_1493801522833.jpg
Sonic tested my 360 block and 340 block today plz note they are the lowest reading in mm not inch let me know your thoughts one is going to be stroked 360. Might stand up better to a thrashing

From what I was told, it is OK. I don't know much about what builders think is good bad borderline trashed. I asked about a 340 block I have. 1 said door stop material, 1 said "Emergency block" the other said OK for grandmas driver. Non performance engine.

i did not do the conversion ... but if that is what it converts to .150-200 with a .060 over bore ... those are descent numbers .....i would want to stay around .160 - .180....or higher .... but i do believe the non-thrust side is most critical ??? leave it to the pros....
See i wouldn't mind taking a block and sleeving all 8 cylinders by a professional like IQ52.... around .060 over and then making it a 420-430 stroker ... that would be a nice torque motor ... with thick walls ....

i did not do the conversion ... but if that is what it converts to .150-200 with a .060 over bore ... those are descent numbers .....i would want to stay around .160 - .180....or higher .... but i do believe the non-thrust side is most critical ??? leave it to the pros....
See i wouldn't mind taking a block and sleeving all 8 cylinders by a professional like IQ52.... around .060 over and then making it a 420-430 stroker ... that would be a nice torque motor ... with thick walls ....

That exactly what I had in mind b4 I sonic tested the 340 but I think at.least 2 cylinders would be better sleeved for insurance was told the 340 would be ok as a streeter but not to thrash on the strip

-
Back