360 magnum or 318 LA?

-

Sam_318

Reaction score
Hello I was wanting some of you guys opinion on which direction I should go I have a 1995 ram 1500 with a 360 magnum and 46rh I paid $600 for this truck about 3 years ago strictly for the motor at the time I had a 1984 d100 short bed I had planned on pulling the 360 out of and putting it into the 84 well I changed my mind and just started working with the 318 I had in it and started daily driving the 95 ram a little over a year ago I bought a 71 duster roller pulled the 318 out of the 84 and sold it bought a 69 valiant and now I plan on selling the 71 duster I'm trying to focus on one project so the valiant I plan on fixing up well my original plan was to pull the 318 out the duster sell it as a roller but now the 95 ram started making a whistling noise seems to be coming from the torque converter which isn't a big deal but the transmission seem to always have issues with shifting so I kinda already knew the transmission was going to need a rebuild which I'm not gonna do I'm just gonna pull the motor and transmission and sell it with duster probably scrap the truck if no one buys it as a roller now I'm stuck between keeping the 360 magnum or 318 LA for my 69 valiant not really looking for a race car I have a holley efi kit I plan on putting on which ever motor I keep the 318 is a orginal hydraulic roller cam so my question is the 360 gonna be a noticeable difference? If you had both engines in stock configuration which one would you pick and why

Snapchat-799514963.jpg

Snapchat-1626087312.jpg

Snapchat-1711263746.jpg

That is one ..... long.... sentence !!! But I think I made some sense of it and I'll just say the 5.9 magnum is a noticeable difference (by a long shot) over a 318 in their original forms. 5.9 is a roller motor, and the LA front (timing cover, etc) all bolts right on to the 5.9 if you don't like the serpentine belt system. Really, it's a super easy swap... (course you'll need a car 360 oil pan and pick up tube)

That is one ..... long.... sentence !!! But I think I made some sense of it and I'll just say the 5.9 magnum is a noticeable difference (by a long shot) over a 318 in their original forms. 5.9 is a roller motor, and the LA front (timing cover, etc) all bolts right on to the 5.9. Really, it's a super easy swap

360 magnum all day long and twice on Sunday. Yes you will notice a difference.

Cube for cube, bigger is better

If the cubage is the same, the magnum has a more forgiving camshaft, but the LA has heads that don't crack when you stare at them

(That just leaves intake choices)

Think about it, more cubes beats less cubes, magnum beats LA

The 360 magnum is the best of both worlds

Retain the Magnums flex plate!!!!!

I’m having issues finding one for high rpm use. Regular flex plates can be found at summit.

And yea, 5.9 all day long. Stick it with a mild roller cam and give it the basic bolt on parts, headers, intake/carb and a vacuum advance distributor. Then have a blast.

Thank you guys for all the response. Any idea if intake header and oil pan bolts from the 318 LA will fit on the 360 magnum? As well as the oil pump, I already did switch the oil pan and pick up as well as replaced the oil pump on the 318. And replaced the bolts with arp if I can snag them off the 318 instead buying all that again. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the feedback !

5.9l all day, even in the comparable truck with the 5.2l you instantly notice the difference .

Thank you guys for all the response. Any idea if intake header and oil pan bolts from the 318 LA will fit on the 360 magnum?
Headers, Yes, oil pan, NO.
As well as the oil pump,
Yes
I already did switch the oil pan and pick up as well as replaced the oil pump on the 318. And replaced the bolts with arp if I can snag them off the 318 instead buying all that again. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the feedback !
The 273, 318 & 340 share the same oil pan.
The 360 has its on oil pan.
The oil pan gasket for the Magnum and the LA have minor differences. You’ll have to pay attention to the corners of the oil pan and use extra sealant.

Unless i'm wrong (which someone will let me know in 3 seconds after i hit post) Don't forget the 318 is internal balanced and the 360 external, use the right converter or you will at minimum crack the flex plate. Just something to remember is all :)

-
Back