360 magnum question

-

Ori

Reaction score
Hi Guys Im a new member here and I am looking forward to help and learn new things. My LA magnum head 360 wiped the cam the a few weeks go so im deciding whether or not to go to the newer 5.9 roller motors. My 360 is pretty much shot and would need bored because there is a gouge in one of the cylinders. I would really like to buy a 5.9 long block and swap in a bigger cam and put my ported magnum heads on it and run it. Questions:

-Could I use my LA360 B&M flexplate for the 5.9? Im currently running a 904 with a PTC 9 1/2 inch 3000 stall converter.

-Any trusty long block manufactures?? Has anyone tried those long block motors on ebay?

Thanks guys!
Ori

Heres a picture of the beast:
IMGP0614.jpg

-Could I use my LA360 B&M flexplate for the 5.9? Im currently running a 904 with a PTC 9 1/2 inch 3000 stall converter.

the LA and Magnum 360 are balanced differently ...the LA 360 flexplate is not correctly balanced for a Magnum 360 ..the Magnum uses less externally weight on damper and flexplates..

b&m made a magnum 360/904 flexplate but has disconnected it...

If I remember correctly, the balance for the back of the engine is not done on the flex plate. It is done on the converter. All you should have to do is take your converter to the local tranny shop and have them weld on the magnum weight. I have seen both weights for magnum and non magnum applications and they are different. They also are welded on slightly different.

Jack

If I remember correctly, the balance for the back of the engine is not done on the flex plate. It is done on the converter. All you should have to do is take your converter to the local tranny shop and have them weld on the magnum weight. I have seen both weights for magnum and non magnum applications and they are different. They also are welded on slightly different.

Jack

From the factory that is true but B&M makes flexplates to replace the original and they (the B&M plate) lets you use any neutral balance converter. That's what he says he has and Tony is right the magnum plate is different than a LA plate cause their imbalance is a different amount. Since B&M no longer sells the magnum plate he would have to use the old method of adding weight on the converter like you said to get it balanced.

If I got a long block already assembled would I have to take it apart to have a engine machine shop balance everything?

Would this be the basic list i would need?
-360 magnum long block

For the shop to balance;
-damper
-my b&m flexplate
-my 904 converter supplied with weights?

Then i could bolt everything together and run it correct?

Thanks

Your getting some bad info on the flexplate, they DID make a "factory" flexplate with the weights on it, thats what i got from a member, this way i could run a "N" balanced converter, i'm useing a 95 short block, it came with a weighted converter, the flexplate i got was from a later model 360 magnum, so i don't know if they just started adding the weights on the flexplate during the 93-02 run, say around 98-99, but you may want to scout the junkyards & see what they tell you. Either way, you'll need to 'long-gate" one of the holes so it'll line-up on the older converters, no biggie really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-CHRYSLER-5-9-ENGINE-FLEXPLATE-1999-8214-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5192a488a2QQitemZ350352607394QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This 1999 5.9 flexplate does have the weights as i can see them.
If I bought that, it would mount to my 9 1/2" converter(my converter has 3 different mounting positions) ?
-Could I buy a stock later model 5.9 damper and use that? Would like to use a earlier because my stock pulleys would bolt right up to it.

JoeDust451- Whats your engine combo??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-CHRYSLER-5-9-ENGINE-FLEXPLATE-1999-8214-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5192a488a2QQitemZ350352607394QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This 1999 5.9 flexplate does have the weights as i can see them.
If I bought that, it would mount to my 9 1/2" converter(my converter has 3 different mounting positions) ?
-Could I buy a stock later model 5.9 damper and use that? Would like to use a earlier because my stock pulleys would bolt right up to it.

JoeDust451- Whats your engine combo??

Just a little note, my 95 still retains its damper, but i'm useing a later flexplate, so i guess all the 93-02 360s had the same bob weight. If your converter has 3 different positions for mounting, you should be good. That flexplate is the one your after. My early 318 crank pulley bolted on to the 95 damper.

Its just a basic "stock" factory shortblock with some miles on it, RHS heads (OOTB), a re-ground stock cam done by bullet cams, (.477/.477, .218/.218 @50, 112 lsa), this is with stock 1.6 rockers, Crosswind RPM, 650dp, summit headers & turbos, MSD dist.

From the factory that is true but B&M makes flexplates to replace the original and they (the B&M plate) lets you use any neutral balance converter. That's what he says he has and Tony is right the magnum plate is different than a LA plate cause their imbalance is a different amount. Since B&M no longer sells the magnum plate he would have to use the old method of adding weight on the converter like you said to get it balanced.

if you are using an aftermarket converter, the 727 flexplate for the 360 magnum will probably work since the only difference between the oem 727 and 904 flexplates is the bolt circle of the converter...the 727 flexplate should have 3 different bolt circles on it..and 727/904 aftermaket converter generally all use the same bolt circle on the converters...

if you are using an aftermarket converter, the 727 flexplate for the 360 magnum will probably work since the only difference between the oem 727 and 904 flexplates is the bolt circle of the converter...the 727 flexplate should have 3 different bolt circles on it..and 727/904 aftermaket converter generally all use the same bolt circle on the converters...

This is true.

I can also get my hands on 1992 5.9 long block. Would this be better? Since I could bolt up my b&m flexplate and my LA 360 damper.

Is a 92 5.9 a magnum? If so you can not use the damper ...difference in balance weights.

A '92 360 motor will be an LA.

318 magnums started in '92 but 360's didn't become magnums until '93.

I have a '92 B350 van and it is a LA360.

Chuck

-
Back