360 Oil Dip Stick Tube Angle/Placement Into Block

-

Korican

Newb
Reaction score
I know this forum has tons of information, but I may not be searching for the correct key words or something. Since I did not exactly find a thread that specifically went over the angle of the dipstick tube should be at. However I did find quite a few on broken oil dipsticks and tubes though.

So the other day I went to check my oil level, and the dipstick was really tough to remove then even harder to put back in. Felt like it was hitting something and getting stuck somewhere but I was able to get the dipstick back in.

Then yesterday I was checking the level again and while trying to place the dipstick back into the tube the tube rotated.

I then attempted to rotate the dipstick tube in different positions to see what would allow the oil dipstick to more easily be placed back in. Below I have attached a pic of the placement it was angled at before and where I left it last night (I have not attempted to start the car).

I am not too familiar with where the dipstick will interfere with anything in regards to placement. So figured to ask more experienced fellows if the actual angle will hinder anything.

I did find this thread that had some good pics, but the dipsticks seem more upright and pointed back to the block than mine.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44532&highlight=dipstick+angle

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 172
It usually comes away from the block more than that, but you just need to get it around the alternator and fuel pump...

It looks like your car had factory A/C and someone removed that?

I wonder if that has anything to do with it, as far as the alternator not being placed 100 % accurate ?

The tube has the lower end crimped outward into a ring shape about 1/2" above the lower end; the tube is just pushed into a hole in the block and this expanded area stops it from being pushed in too far.

The tube tend to bend at this expanded area and can get weak. You ought to carefully examine the expanded end of the tube where it goes into the block with a mirror and flashlight to see if it is starting to crack and break at that point; that could explain why the dipstick was hard to remove and replace and why rotating it made the insertion of the dipstick easier: the tube may be cracking and twisting and the dipstick was hitting part of it.

If the end of the dipstick was straight and not mangled, then it is likely a problem in the tube. But make sure that the end of the dipstick is straight. If it is bent so that it bends towards the crankshaft, then I'd straighten it out. Someone showed a pix here within the last year of a dipstick that got snagged in the crank!

Someone showed a pix here within the last year of a dipstick that got snagged in the crank!

that was on a stroker, and I'm not sure if that engine used a stock oilpan or not, but on a stock oilpan, there is a tube welded to the inside, where the dipstick goes into which should make it impossible for the dipstick to get chewed up like that one did

however, you do make a good point on the dipstick tube being a weak point, and needing inspection
you would not want it to crack there and leak, or become loose and leak

Thanks everyone, I will use a mirror and check to see if there is any damage to the tube at the insertion of the block.

I did come across that other thread where the dipstick got chewed up and the OP had to look for the broken pieces within the pan/motor.

With my motor not being a stroker and/or aftermarket oil pan... Hopefully I won't have to worry about that happening to me :D

-
Back