360 out of a 1977 RV

-
it means there's been some head work.
I personally am not a big fan of RV motors. Most are over taxed : lets take this big @$$ RV and go to the mountains and here's a great idea - let's pull the boat along too! Now before we leave lets pack enough clothes, food, and firewood for the six of us for the nine days we'll be gone. Oh yeah, before we get on the highway lets fill both 40 gallon tanks and the 20 propane tank and while we're here lets just go a head and fill the 20 gallon boat tank. "Honey I'm going to run in the store and grab a 20lb bag of charcoal for the BBQ, I'll be right back". Well that was a great trip and we almost didn't make it over a couple of those mountains, but we groun out first gear for a half hour and made it !! Well we'll see how long it sets (a year? Two?? Three???) Before we touch you again !?? Ask me how I know . ...
Sit at the top of the gear most of the day going slow uphill. Run cheap gas despite heavy loads. (why most had low compression, high compression doing that makes a mess) Sit for nearly years at a time. Well- it's got only xxxx miles, so we won't worry about changing the oil.

When I was looking for an RV I ran across several that had low miles that were much older. I'm not saying it's a bad motor or anything like that I'm just saying if I was to go for an RV motor personally I would be thinking about a total Rebuild. Maybe even more than just thinking.

Ill look into the valve springs a little more. Might not have to replace them but might anyways.

If you put that cam in, it definitely needs springs and retainers. I can see in the photo it has exhaust rotators on it and they don't lend very well to higher lift cams so they need changed. Even though the Summit cam isn't that big it may bind. You might be able to find someone here with 8 good stock retainers they took off something. Stock retainers are all you need with that cam. As for the factory springs, they never had much pressure to begin with. Even if they were new they'd barely be up to the chore of a mild RV cam

Plan on removing the rotators. Have the old and tired 318 I took out. Should be able to get the retainers from it.

Wanted to let you all know the 360 pulls nice. Can definitely feel the hp jump. Now to adjust the darn lokar kickdown cable so the tranny shifts correctly. Will have to drill another hole in the lever in the tranny to get the correct length of travel. Thanks again for all the help and advice my fellow A-Body gear heads.

-
Back