360 stroker questions

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
So I finally found a 360 to begin my build with. It's a standard bore 1975 motor. It's going in a 67 dart with a 4 speed and Dana with 4.56s. I currently have a mild built 340 with edelbrock aluminum heads , Victor intake and a 750 race brawler carb. I'm definitely building a stroker from the 360 , just not too familiar with anything other than the 408. I'd like at least 500hp and a low - mid 11 second street car. What are some other stroker options? do some rev higher than others? I'd like to use my current top end on this stroker , would that work? I'm not afraid of compression or a big cam. Whatever works. I just don't want to build a stroker , only to put it in and have it be pretty much the same power as my 340. Thanks for any input.

The VERY first thing I would do is have the block sonic tested to make sure you can bore it to whatever pistons you choose. I have 2 71 cast 360 blocks, one is over bored .070 and the other is .030, going to .070 to built a 416. I have all of the parts and pieces from a Hensley Motor Sports engine, including the 4" stroker crank, 3 sets of aluminum rods and aftermarket 12.0 to 1 pistons. The new engine will have a roller cam and valve train. Just keep in mind that my application is "Race only" and the dyno sheets from Hensley had it at 623 hp @ 6400 RPM and 537 tq at 5100 RPM.

Heads is where the power/rpm at, 408 don't need to turn much rpm for 500 hp maybe 5700-6000 rpms
But it probably gonna need more head flow than ootb edelbrocks, having the heads ported or a head upgrade. Stock I could see 475 hp.

Heads is where the power/rpm at, 408 don't need to turn much rpm for 500 hp maybe 5700-6000 rpms
But it probably gonna need more head flow than ootb edelbrocks, having the heads ported or a head upgrade. Stock I could see 475 hp.
I plan on having my current heads and intake ported so I hope that would help me get to the 500 mark.

500hp from a 408 stroker with reworked Ede heads and a Victor is a slam dunk…….provided you use enough cam to get it there.

FWIW...you can check out my thread on my avatar "The 72 Demon Follies." The 408 combo is right up front in the thread. Pretty mild relatively speaking. If I had it to do again, I'd add about 8-10 degrees at .050 to the cam duration as these strokers eat up duration. But the car as is has gone [email protected] in the quarter at a DA of roughly 2100. I think that meets what you said you wanted a low to mid 11 sec car.

Hope it helps!! 408's are a hoot for sure!!

500hp from a 408 stroker with reworked Ede heads and a Victor is a slam dunk…….provided you use enough cam to get it there.
With a 4 speed , cam size has no limit to me so I should be good.

FWIW...you can check out my thread on my avatar "The 72 Demon Follies." The 408 combo is right up front in the thread. Pretty mild relatively speaking. If I had it to do again, I'd add about 8-10 degrees at .050 to the cam duration as these strokers eat up duration. But the car as is has gone [email protected] in the quarter at a DA of roughly 2100. I think that meets what you said you wanted a low to mid 11 sec car.

Hope it helps!! 408's are a hoot for sure!!
Thanks!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. It's going in a 3200 lb. Dart with a 4 speed.

My guess is my car weighs right about the same - 3200#'s. So yours should run similar or faster depending on where you end up with your heads/cam. Good luck!

The elephant in the room is getting the car down the track with the stick.
Easier said than done. With that gear and a “ factory” tranny hope you got a little Ronnie Sox in you..lol

The elephant in the room is getting the car down the track with the stick.
Easier said than done. With that gear and a “ factory” tranny hope you got a little Ronnie Sox in you..lol
That's the easy part. Been ripping gears with 833 and My 340 for years. I wouldn't have it any other way. Only difference is won't be shifting at 6800 with the stroker lol

From what I'm hearing, they don't rev as much but I'm sure I'll find out.

Be hitting it with lots more torque than a stock stroke deal.
There will be a definite learning curve. And they rev just fine. Most aftermarket stroker kits have a nice bob weight

What cam specs? Any HP/Torque numbers? 1/4 mile Times?
My class runs 1/8 mile at every track I go to. It’s gone 5.98 once but is usually around a 6.05 which should be a 9.30 or so. This is a Racer Brown cast steel cam made for a streetcar that I bought from a friend.

IMG_5692.jpeg

I’m running a roller cam but my 408 is shifted at 6700-6800 every pass.
Curious, Racing 1/8 mile would you have to shift at higher rpm than 1/4 mile cause there's less overall time to recover from each shift ? or optimal shift points be similar for both ?

Mid 11's should be easy with a 408, my 340 went 11.60 @ 116 in my 3260# Dart. It was 11.4-1, pump 93, ported Edelbrocks, port matched Victor intake, 236/242° @ .050", IIRC the lift was in the .590" range, 4.30 gears and 275 radials. It liked being shifted at 6400. A few years later I put the top end on a 408 with 20° more at .050" and .040" more lift. It too liked being shifted at 6400.

How much power/weight will a stock 833 take?

How much power/weight will a stock 833 take? It all depends on the clutch that is going to be used. Add some slip to the clutch and it will last a lot longer than a clutch like a CenterForce II, that will find every weak point from the clutch back.
A little clutch slip will improve your 60' times, smooth out your gear changes, net you quicker ET's from not letting the engine drop below(or bog the engine down below) its power curve.

-
Back