3800 converter too much ?

-
Calculations and formulas are helpful to a degree, but sometimes you gotta just do it old school... Pretend all you have is “seat of the pants” (feel it, listen, etc) to make determinations. Go out and drive it and you’ll know whether you can tolerate it’s characteristics.

I know I’m late to the party, but I had the same question about two weeks ago, I followed the advice given on this website and bought a 3500 9 1/2” stall converter from Dice preformance converters in Southern California I told him that I was going to drive it on the street and strip so it needed to be tight, but I wanted it to flash 3500 minimal, it’s now in my 74 Duster with a 360 magnum in it, and it launches like a bat out of hell. I’m glad I bought a higher stall converter that was suggested to me. It drives nice on the street too. And I have 3:91 gears.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to learn something new. I'm about to start cutting up lockup converters to see how to increase stall plus beef up the clutch; if performance fibers are available. I say bring back the ol' switch/pitch!

My PTC converter flashes around 3800 rpm behind the 340 in my Dart. I have had this car and combo together since 2001. No problems yet!

Yeah, I learned something .. the car really kicks in with that converter. We took it out and drove normally and then really got on it and it was completely fine both ways. I thought it would feel like the trans was slipping until 3800 but it was fine. He uses both the radiator cooler and auxiliary one with a gauge. This car is quick. Made him an offer on the car... we'll see.

So, you should have told me you were on here! ( I'm the seller) what happened with the car in Webster?

Yeah, I learned something .. the car really kicks in with that converter. We took it out and drove normally and then really got on it and it was completely fine both ways. I thought it would feel like the trans was slipping until 3800 but it was fine. He uses both the radiator cooler and auxiliary one with a gauge. This car is quick. Made him an offer on the car... we'll see.
Thanks for some follow up. Seeing is believing :thumbsup:

modern technology is something isn't it?

Yeah it is. I've been a 4 speed guy for so long never had much schooling on what the proper automatic set up can do OR as important how it works. Old dog thing proved wrong.

i see so many people over look the converter after spending thousand upon thousands on their drivetrain only to cheap out on the converter and never truly be happy with the results. fact is they could have spent less on all the fancy engine **** and more on the right converter and they would have gotten the results they were after.

Gave it my best shot that day. I may just sit until spring and look for something then. As your also aware we're both headed into 6 months of misery .. Surprised you didn't throw it on here to sell, it's a lot of car. You did a real nice job.
Cool, no worries. You have my number. I saw your other cars you had for sale. To bad you didnt still have the green stroker. It was on my list when you listed it.

-
Back