383 into 67 Barracuda stock - input stock exhaust manifolds (69) vs Schumacker headers

go with headers or stock HP Manifolds pictured

• Total voters
-

bryan Schaupp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have set of 69 exhaust manifolds in good shape I also have power steering and AC. I wanted input on people who have used the stock manifolds and schumacker headers and let me know if there is big advantage one verses the other?

My current plan is to use the car as driver in summer months.

I have aluminum intake and carburetor - other than that stock 383. I just here lot of the restrictions on the manifolds but I know there are advantages also. just curious on how big a hit manifolds
383 with manifolds on stand.jpg
will be on performance.

Thanks for any input

Best regards,

Bryan

Your gonna lose 35hp or more with the manifolds vs a good header.

Both tti and Schumacher make very nice headers that will last longer then you will be alive.

My 69 383 ran mid 7's on the 1/8 with factory manifolds and full 69 factory exhaust.

Street use, stick with the cast iron! No need to mess with headers and some of the headaches they can cause. Factory style plug wires and easier service!!!

Your gonna lose 35hp or more with the manifolds vs a good header.

Both tti and Schumacher make very nice headers that will last longer then you will be alive.

Thanks for the information. I kinda figured that with all the research so far. I was checking to get real life feedback. I think these manifolds are worth quite a bit to the guy going original. I may try to see if I can trade for set of schumacker headers and mounts perhaps as I am not going original and really like the ceramic coated schumacker headers. Have not seem TTI but lot of other headers will not work with power steering

Thanks again

Bryan

My 69 383 ran mid 7's on the 1/8 with factory manifolds and full 69 factory exhaust.
c_90_us.png

Street use, stick with the cast iron! No need to mess with headers and some of the headaches they can cause. Factory style plug wires and easier service!!!
Very good points.

You can see why this is not as easy of decision as it appears. Everybody like more HP, But if the HP units are fairly good, they certainly seem like the easier approach and will look nice when blasted and painted. Car is for street use so I am not looking for Big HP. Sounds like you had very good luck/performance with your HP manifolds. Good to know as I already have these and not take much to paint - even have gaskets with the rebuild kit. Did you have heat riser hooked up (passenger side)? I am missing spring and weight.

I also see head shields for plugs on some pictures of these manifolds. Did you use those?

Thanks again for your input.

Best regards,

Bryan

c_90_us.png

Very good points.

You can see why this is not as easy of decision as it appears. Everybody like more HP, But if the HP units are fairly good, they certainly seem like the easier approach and will look nice when blasted and painted. Car is for street use so I am not looking for Big HP. Sounds like you had very good luck/performance with your HP manifolds. Good to know as I already have these and not take much to paint - even have gaskets with the rebuild kit. Did you have heat riser hooked up (passenger side)? I am missing spring and weight.

I also see head shields for plugs on some pictures of these manifolds. Did you use those?

Thanks again for your input.

Best regards,

Bryan

View attachment 1715021002

When I restored it I put all the plug shields back on and the riser is intact. I have a Edlebrock TM6 still on it with the crossover blocked so the riser is tied open but still functional. I currently have an AVS 800 on it with electric choke. Those manifolds flow better than some give them credit for. The head pipes to muffler are 2.5". I used a repro exhaust from Accurate. I don't race it anymore either so street use is just fine!:thumbsup:

Clean and easy service is what I like.

image.jpeg

When I restored it I put all the plug shields back on and the riser is intact. I have a Edlebrock TM6 still on it with the crossover blocked so the riser is tied open but still functional. I currently have an AVS 800 on it with electric choke. Those manifolds flow better than some give them credit for. The head pipes to muffler are 2.5". I used a repro exhaust from Accurate. I don't race it anymore either so street use is just fine!:thumbsup:

Clean and easy service is what I like.

View attachment 1715021009
Very nice!

had them on my 69 dart gt 383 , use a b body hp on drivers side . just shortened the steering column outer tube , moved the lower bushing up
DSC06103.JPG
DSC06104.JPG
to the firewall . 2 1/2 '' out the rear . spark plugs were wrenched in/out from the bottom on drivers side . long arms on the passenger side . headers would have been a plus until plugs needed to be changed . if you have ps too , it makes # 5 a . well on fun .

I have 2" under chassis headers in my 67 dart with 383 and can do all 8 plugs in 30 min

That's pretty damn good!

I can do all mine in about 10 except #7. It takes a bit longer and scratching paint is always the issue, gotta be carefull with that one! Booster makes it harder.

# 6 comes out from under but easy!

Last edited:
That's pretty damn good!

I can do all mine in about 10 except #7. It takes a bit longer and scratching paint is always the issue, gotta be carefull with that one! Booster makes it harder.

# 6 comes out from under but easy!
I have TTI's on my 68 383S and changing plugs is a breeze, just make sure its cool.

How much hangs low with the headers though for you guys running them? And are they fully under chasis?

Do you have access holes cut in the inner fenders for plug access?

What about starter capture?

Last edited:
i vote headers , seams that some b body chassi headers work with a couple of bumps with a mallet . bigblockdart.com had a how to thing if i'm remembering . mine was a budget build . now it has headers with new sparkplug wires , new intake n rocker covers and back to the hp air cleaner and a different chassi although . from to pics .

DSC06103.JPG

DSC07848.JPG

That last pic is no a-body! Room like that is luxury!

image.jpeg

-
Back