383 thru pushrod oiling modifications

-

dartlove

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread , but here it goes.
I am in the process of building a stroked 383 for my strictly race 64 dart. I want to go with a thru pushrod oiling up top. Can anybody give some advice on how to go about this properly?
From everything I have read the #4 cam bearing is the life source up there. I don't want to get things all messed up.

Not sure why you want pushrod oiling as mopar shaft rocker system seems to be very good in stock form and with aftermarket components. If you do want pushrod oilers and you have a flat tappet cam get lifters designed for AMC v8 engines. They are the same diameter I believe . Add hollow pushrods. They oil up the shafts in stock form.

I am not an expert but it would seem to me that unless the rocker arm is designed to be oiled through the pushrod then Oil is just pumping into a dead end. In stock form the rocker shaft are flooded and small orifices are drilled on then shaft pointing down to lubricate the rockers. It does a good job woth aftermarket roller rockers. I have seen some cylinder heads that were not lubricated through the stock oil passages and actually had external oil lines from the back of the block to the cylinder heads. I don't remember what brand of head I saw with that though I want to say Indy but I may be mistaken

solid roller cam . oiling was a suggestion from a machinist friend

If you oil thru the pushrod..how are you going to get oil inside the shaft rockers????? no oil in the shafts...I bet they seize pretty quick...

the oil come up thru no. 2 and no 4 cam bearings into the cylinder heads the fed into the shafts and rockers...dont reinvent the wheel....

Thanks for the help. Looks as if I will make the necessary mods to improve the stock oiling system.

My 496 has edi holes in the lifters to oil the cam lobes, also I use smith brothers heavy wall hallow push rods cup and ball style,the oil comes from the lifter I still have shaft oiling for rockers.I run CROWER lifters and a purple 590 flat tappit solid lifters.throught the lights at 7000 rpms. CROWER DID THE OIL HOLES FOR THE CAM LOBES

So I am trying to understand this I'm not sure what edi hole is but somehow you are oiling through the lifters up to the Rockers as well as still using the oiling through the shafts?

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread , but here it goes.
I am in the process of building a stroked 383 for my strictly race 64 dart. I want to go with a thru pushrod oiling up top. Can anybody give some advice on how to go about this properly?
From everything I have read the #4 cam bearing is the life source up there. I don't want to get things all messed up.

Pushrod oiling is fairly simple to accomplish, just buy pushrod oiling lifters and oiling pushrods. That is all it takes. I run pushrod oiling in any big block that is going to have a lot of spring pressure just to reduce the odds on burning up a pushrod cup.

The next question is if you are going to run shaft oiling + pushrod oiling or just pushrod oiling. Depending on the application you can run shaft + pushrod, or pushrod only, or pushrod + spring oiling, etc. It all just depends on the duty cycle on the engine as well as the type of rocker arm assembly that you are using. T&D rocker arms oil thru the pushrod for example while Jesel rocker arms can use either pushrod or spray bar oiling.

It's a hole in the face of the lifter were it hits the cam to add a little extra oil on the lobe.I use HS rockers with roller tips.l have burned pushrod adjusters and pushrods before

I would like the best of both worlds, and have shaft and pushrod oiling. I don't want to have to turn around and keep spending money on the same Parts because of oil failure. So if I could get the best out of my oil system that's what I would like to do. I am purchasing trick flow heads. Not sure on spring rates.

I covered this topic in the Mopar Action articles on my 470 low deck stroker. I use pushrod oiling in that engine with the Trick Flow heads. I showed which roller lifters to use and provided the part numbers.

I will see if I can find that. I am reading your max performance big block mopar book right now. Thanks for the insight and a point in the right direction.

I'll see if I can attach the article. I have it in PDF format so I might be able to attach it.

Attachments

• cams carbs-v2.01.pdf
    567.3 KB · Views: 505
So my son just sent me a picture of the grind card from my new Schneider cam.
Cam lift in .440@282 ex .429@286
Valve lift in.660 @322. Ex.643 @ 326.
BTW Andy F, great article.

-
Back