392 Hemi info

-

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
This is a subject I know NOTHING about. I may have the opportunity to buy the old 392 complete motor, no idea if it runs, but it's got a dual quad set up blah blah blah. How are these as far as performance go? I know it's not a 426 at all, but I have a somewhat put together 340 that's dyno'd 439 horse at the crank that was going to see Dart duty, but if I can get a good enough deal on the 392, would it be worth slapping in? Aftermarket cam, headwork, rotating assembly etc.???

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

I would either keep it for later as an investment or sell it to the street rod crowd, they are always looking for those things. It is not cheap to build an older hemi to the point were it will be fast enough that it doesn't get beat by a small block or a mild build regular big block, this would be embarassing. There are exceptions to every rule but all of these type old hemi into a newer car that I have seen (5 of them) were slow, meaning they ran 13's one actually ran 14's

Chuck

i say clean it real nice and make it a table in your den.. kick up your feet and enjoy.. then rebuild it one day down the road when you want a sweet HEMI..

engine-block-coffee-table.jpg

engine-block-coffee-table.jpg

Haha nice fellas.

Any specs. I was told it does have the dual quad set up, so wouldn't that make it the 390 horse version? Any idea on aftermarket?

That table is either a Buick or an Olds 215 isn't it? Do you have that table in your house? If I could see the head bolt bosses better I could tell which one it was.

Chuck

340mopar said:
That table is either a Buick or an Olds 215 isn't it? Do you have that table in your house? If I could see the head bolt bosses better I could tell which one it was.

Chuck

I got it in an email a long time ago.
I just googled it to re find it since i knew it exsisted.

Cool tho eh?

note the wine bottles... i think its cool

340mopar said:
I would either keep it for later as an investment or sell it to the street rod crowd, they are always looking for those things. It is not cheap to build an older hemi to the point were it will be fast enough that it doesn't get beat by a small block or a mild build regular big block, this would be embarassing. There are exceptions to every rule but all of these type old hemi into a newer car that I have seen (5 of them) were slow, meaning they ran 13's one actually ran 14's

A buddy of mine has a 392 hemi in his 32 Ford street rod and it's gone mid 10's in the quarter with low 3.xx gears in the rear end and a 727 automatic. It's a stock rebuilt bottom end with a supercharger. Certainly won't be cheap to build one but PAW has a catalog of parts just for the old hemi.

FWIW, the factory dual quad 392's were rated around 375-400 HP they were no slouches in stock form. Plus they were the basis for all top fuel dragsters for many years beyond the introduction of the 426 hemi.

dgc333 said:
A buddy of mine has a 392 hemi in his 32 Ford street rod and it's gone mid 10's in the quarter with low 3.xx gears in the rear end and a 727 automatic. It's a stock rebuilt bottom end with a supercharger. Certainly won't be cheap to build one but PAW has a catalog of parts just for the old hemi.

FWIW, the factory dual quad 392's were rated around 375-400 HP they were no slouches in stock form. Plus they were the basis for all top fuel dragsters for many years beyond the introduction of the 426 hemi.

Perhaps a 6-71 on top of that poking out of the hood of the '67 haha.

hothemiheads.com has just about anything you would ever need. Be ready to spend big bucks though.

I have a 392 Hemi in a 71 Demon. I wanted to build a hotrod that was unique and fast. The hemi has dual Carter AFBs, Weiand intake, .519" 280 Duration Cam, Headers, etc. The old beast makes about 525 HP and can made a high 11s pass down the 1/4. It looks so tough in that engine bay. Even Ford and Chevy guys have to show respect.

www.moparmuscleonline.com

It's old, but it really kicks ***. It is designed to be a cruiser but, runs good too.

Bruce

That is a sick ride you have there. There is nothing like looking down into the engine bay seeing those bad *** valve covers either!

Man that's tempting to make me sell the small block lol.

i just sold a 1957 392 2x4. :blob:
a very good investment.
longarm

If it has the dimples in the valve cover underneath the wire ways then it is probably a 380 horse motor. I had said 390, but the only ones that supposedly got that much was the fuel injection ones. Adjustable rockers and a solid cam. Has it been rebuilt or? I've got a 392 Hemi myself.

Lee

392 cleaned and painted.JPG

QuarterHorse said:
Perhaps a 6-71 on top of that poking out of the hood of the '67 haha.

My buddies 32 Ford also had zommie pipes on it for awhile until he couldn't stand the noise. He slipped baffles from a Harley into each pipe but that killed all the power. He now has conventional headers with side pipes, still loud but liveable.

Oh Ya, the blower on his was a 6-71.

moparlee said:
If it has the dimples in the valve cover underneath the wire ways then it is probably a 380 horse motor. I had said 390, but the only ones that supposedly got that much was the fuel injection ones. Adjustable rockers and a solid cam. Has it been rebuilt or? I've got a 392 Hemi myself.

Lee

I have no idea, I was just told second hand about it. The owner may really not know what it is, I'm supposed to hear back about it. No idea if it's locked up, spins free, or what.

Remember, back in the day, Don Garlits beat 426 Hemis and everything else with his 392 Hemis every weekend. My Hemi is not built to the max, it's a cruiser. It also has 3.8:1 Ford gears and with sticky tire can still get into the 11s. Not bad for a 50 year old engine and still cost a lot less than a 426 Hemi.

Bruce

Hemi_Demon said:
Remember, back in the day, Don Garlits beat 426 Hemis and everything else with his 392 Hemis every weekend. My Hemi is not built to the max, it's a cruiser. It also has 3.8:1 Ford gears and with sticky tire can still get into the 11s. Not bad for a 50 year old engine and still cost a lot less than a 426 Hemi.

Bruce

Thanks for the info, I havn't heard back from this gentleman yet.

-
Back