4/7 swap in firing order..

-
Well if you don't want to be straight with me and respectful then there is not much else for me to do here but sit back and watch.

Most of my help will now be through PM's in order to avoid this kind of thing.
sorry to the rest, If ya'll think I might know something you wanna know, just PM me.

My final thought to you TK, is based on a 400 hp engine for reference,
what's more important on the street?
An increase of.....Torque? or HP?

later.

My final thought to you TK, is based on a 400 hp engine for reference,
what's more important on the street?
An increase of.....Torque? or HP?

later.

Torque?

I was being respectful, and will not treat you any different tomorrow, you started it, by bringing me and you up in the Moparchat thread, questioning if me and Abomb were the same guy, ect.

Call a truce? Or follow me around? I don't care. :-D

Personally I think you are both being childish. Get over it, if what ever you have to say isn't going to help this thread then just talk amongst yourselves.

But I really don't have a dog in this fight.

Well I know all the pro stock engines do this. Probably all the comp and SS guys as well but is it worth it for a street engine or a bracket engine? Probably not unless you are scratch building an engine anyway. In a small block I think the 48* tappet angle is worth more than the 4/7 swap but if you are custom ordering a cam anyway, why not go for it. I wouldn't swap cams in a running engine for that reason alone.
i guess along with valve angles too. ie chevy's 23deg(stock) heads vs mopars 18deg(stock) heads. i have no idea what what valve angles on a ford heads are. i watched alot of youtube vids (all chevrolets mind you) the sound healthy enuff. i dunno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TVm2sk-8CU

Interesting that it has a Predator carb on it. I haven't seen one of them in at least a decade. Otherwise it doesn't really sound any different than my engine without the 4/7 swap.

oh yah.. the 1bbl tower of power lol. don't think that one has the built in idle circut lol. i noticed it dosn't sound like a ford either. well at least thats what people say when they do the 4/7 swap.

predator?
I have one in the shop, flows 930cfm but really only what the engine will eat/pull.

friend ran it on his 318, ran good but the rest of the combo wasn't there.

oh yah.. the 1bbl tower of power lol. don't think that one has the built in idle circut lol. i noticed it dosn't sound like a ford either. well at least thats what people say when they do the 4/7 swap.

You can hear the sound out the tailpipes, more than at the front, and when the motor isn't loping. Sounding like a FE ford isn't a bad thing, LOL.

That was a video of the motor from the side, if it was smoothed out, going down the road, it would sound different. (The Ford sound) Not that it's a bad thing.

With the standard firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2... 6-5-7 are hitting the fourth main in series, with the swap will the load is spead out better?

Oh look! Were on at the same time!

LOL

I think that would be the main reason for doing it to a chrysler. Ford did have a better idea in that aspect, lots of FE Fords were put in severe service apps, (471/579 Medium duty engines, turbo, ect.) There may have been a reason other than mistake.

well at least i'm getting somewhere on this. seems that the 4/7 swap favors the dual plane intake setup and mild cam combos (ie: under .600" lift after piecing together the miles of posts i've read). once you get up into the radical camshaft range with large single plane intakes, t-rams, very high rpms, etc. it becomes LESS of a factor unless your looking for every last bit of horsepower. but it seems that the durability works with both sides of the coin (ie: less loading on the mains). i wonder how the VE would change with identical cams, but one has the 4/7 swap. i know the valve timing woudn't be exactly the same but worth a try anyways.

I beleive it will make more torque.

I ALMOST did it, but actually 1wildandcrazy was the deciding factor not to.......
(Took his advice)
A while later I got rid of the hyd lifters anyway..... I shoulda/coulda/but didnt!

ISKY is great about grinding cams. Iguess it wont hurt anything. Could you tell the difference in the FE ford sound?

I beleive it will make more torque.

I ALMOST did it, but actually 'I' was the deciding factor not to.......
Cause it would be a better investment to throw some j heads on my 390 and loose the mismatched 302 heads with the crummy port work I did, probably ruined them too....
A while later I got rid of the hyd lifters anyway..... I shoulda/coulda/but didnt!

ISKY is great about grinding cams. Iguess it wont hurt anything. Could you tell the difference in the FE ford sound?

TRANSLATION above

BE A MAN, YOU WANNA PUT ME ON IGNORE? SWEET!!
NOW BE A MAN AND QUIT TALKING **** YOU GEEK.
AND YOUR POSTS R 1/2 HOUR APART, LIKE I CARE....

You and only you are the deciding factor in your life.

And bring me up 1 more time in your post....

Oh look! Were on at the same time!

LOL

I think that would be the main reason for doing it to a chrysler. Ford did have a better idea in that aspect, lots of FE Fords were put in severe service apps, (471/579 Medium duty engines, turbo, ect.) There may have been a reason other than mistake.

I find it hard to believe that Ford engineered anything for a good reason. Just happenstance or luck though I can believe. lol

I find it hard to believe that Ford engineered anything for a good reason. Just happenstance or luck though I can believe. lol

Fords need oiling work, rod journals are narrow, need head work[new heads for that matter] the intakes short sides are cliff's and the exhausts are curvy pos's.
CJ heads r decent but then what's the port volume???

On the intake side of it, it's all chevy related, or a specific intake design flaw remedy, if even that. I even ``kinda doubt that idea, but would need to look at the intake design of the engine in question that supposedly picked up power from this.

Otherwise it's a main loading issue, more evenly distributes load to the mains, which I wonder if torsioning comes into play, 454's can toss rods like it's going out of style.

:read2: http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115062

Yeah we knew this by the 1st post....

Probably was the fact that they HAD to be different, and somehow got lucky.... I like Fords, there are some real PITA'ses with them, but then again, they made some great power. (some) They made so many different styles of motors, you cant lump them all in one category. The FE is my favorite, other than long pushrods, and cranks not shedding oil at high RPM, they were great motors, last forever treated right.

Probably was the fact that they HAD to be different, and somehow got lucky.... I like Fords, there are some real PITA'ses with them, but then again, they made some great power. (some) They made so many different styles of motors, you cant lump them all in one category. The FE is my favorite, other than long pushrods, and cranks not shedding oil at high RPM, they were great motors, last forever treated right.
OH thier different alright...
you can lump them into 3 catagories:

5.0L HO, 351W(himpy), 351M(oronic), 351C(atostrophic), 400 for the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order

289, 302, 352, 390, 427, 428, 429, 460 for the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order

FE = &%$#ing Engine

*EDIT*
whoops! my apologies.

This is general forum,Do Not use the F word! I have edited it out for you this time.Thank's for your time and attention to this matter 8)
OH thier different alright...
you can lump them into 3 catagories:

5.0L HO, 351W(himpy), 351M(oronic), 351C(atostrophic), 400 for the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order

289, 302, 352, 390, 427, 428, 429, 460 for the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order

FE = &%$#ing Engine

That 427 FE definitely sounded different than a Mopar but I think it sounded kind of weak. It was a little smoother than other V8s when the guy in the video raised the revs for a couple seconds but it was a lot quieter and didn't have that same booming "cannon"-type sound that Mopars have. Hell, my mild 318 with the exhaust unhooked was nastier sounding than that thing (even though the 427 obviously had a cam).

My neighbor's 351C '70 Mach 1 sounds pretty beefy though, and I know that thing is pretty quick (geared too tall though).

-
Back