4 Barrel FI kits for a /6 Turbo setup

-

YoungDart75

Reaction score
I'm running through some things for my car and I've stumbled across a deal on a Offy manifold and a set of headers I could use to weld up a turbo setup for my Slant instead of diving off into the 5.7 swap. But I've been combing the Forced Inductionsection looking at all the throttle body injection setups and haven't seen one yet that ran one of the 4 barrel fuel injected kits. I've seen a lot of these setups geared towards alot of the V8 guys and kind of catered to them. But I've been looking at setups like this one from Professional Products and its their Projection III kit(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-70026/overview/) and after getting off the phone with them they confirmed it had a 6 cylinder option on the menu and that the base tune could help get it running and then tuning from there via a laptop which would be the best option for when youd like to turn the boost up a little bit to make some more power. I figure one of these would be a good starting point but haven't quite cleared up how it would tie into the existing ECM already running my slant 6. I may be the test dummy for everyone if I can dig up any info on it prior to the teardown of the car. Any help or advice?

Read the 2 posts running on the FiTech system (link in post 2). It is under $1000, freeing $700 for other goodies, or wait until that competition brings the Powerjection, Holley, Atomic, and MSD products down to earth on pricing.

My plan for my slant is MPFI. I have most of the parts, but it is on the far back burner. A 1 bbl intake would probably flow enough air, especially if I added a turbo (even further back). Probably start right after I retire in a decade. Your approach with the 4 bbl TBI is much easier, but doesn't solve the problem w/ in-line 6 manifolds having poor fuel distribution.

haven't seen one yet that ran one of the 4 barrel fuel injected kits.

Not sure why you seem stuck on 4bbl? Just how much flow (HP) do you figure you need? However, so far as I know, any of the TBI 4bbl systems will operate 4-6-8 cylinders or more.

Not sure why you seem stuck on 4bbl? Just how much flow (HP) do you figure you need? However, so far as I know, any of the TBI 4bbl systems will operate 4-6-8 cylinders or more.

Well I met a older guy at a local meet yesterday that has a offy 4bbl manifold and a set of headers thats been collecting dust in his attic for a couple years and said hed like to get rid of it. Seeing as im the only game in town running a slant 6 anymore i told him id take the manifold and headers off his hands. Doing so and talking with a couple of the guys at the meet who have done the small block and big block swaps, and tbe general consensus was build the slant up for a little boost and throw a turbo on it.

I don't think the headers will help you for a turbo build, but they may be a good substitute till you get a turbo system fabricated.

Well I wwasn't planning on really running them, more so as a handoff\starting point for a manifold build for a turbo setup.

Thanks Jimmy I'm going to have to look into that kit. $700 could def be spent elsewhere.

Well I met a older guy at a local meet yesterday that has a offy 4bbl manifold and a set of headers thats been collecting dust in his attic for a couple years and said hed like to get rid of it. Seeing as im the only game in town running a slant 6 anymore i told him id take the manifold and headers off his hands. Doing so and talking with a couple of the guys at the meet who have done the small block and big block swaps, and tbe general consensus was build the slant up for a little boost and throw a turbo on it.

You misunderstand. Just because you have a 4bbl manifold doesn't necessarily mean you need a 4bbl throttle body. EG the old Holley Pro-jection was a hi-flow 2BBL TBI that fit (with supplied adapter) on a 4BBL manifold

Post 7 is what I started with, 75 bucks, I think, off CL

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=262068

You can find those TBI 2bbl units all over on ebay and other places.

You misunderstand. Just because you have a 4bbl manifold doesn't necessarily mean you need a 4bbl throttle body. EG the old Holley Pro-jection was a hi-flow 2BBL TBI that fit (with supplied adapter) on a 4BBL manifold

Post 7 is what I started with, 75 bucks, I think, off CL

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=262068

You can find those TBI 2bbl units all over on ebay and other places.
I gotch Dart. I misread what you were saying before. Ill do some looking around obviously before i buy, buy that looks to be the direction im going with the /6(TBFI and turbo that is)

What do you mean which pieces? "Anything to do with the carb" I guess. Where are you located, do you have to deal with emissions inspections / laws? That might be a factor. I believe you can set that system up with whatever you have now for ignition.

From what I've read it doesn't require any special kind of ignition setup to run the system. I'd be rebuilding everything on the slant before I threw this on. Voltage regulator and ecm I'm assuming would stay in there and hopefully "play nice" with their learning ecu. I saw on the fuel injection section of this board that someone had emailed them and they said that they've tested it on cars producing as low as 150 hp. I didn't have high hopes before about sticking with the slant but I'm starting to be optimistic towards it.

Slantsix.org has got more info on subjects such as this. Long story short, I think the way the engine is designed will make the benefits near null. For what you want, the intake shouldn't be heated, which will make fuel distribution even poorer and uneven. And the front running lean and the rear running rich would be the last thing I'd want for a boosted motor. For the time and investment you are looking at, might as well take the extra half step and go mpfi. Most every one that I have read about that started tbi switched to mpfi and says how much better it is.

I'm running through some things for my car and I've stumbled across a deal on a Offy manifold and a set of headers I could use to weld up a turbo setup for my Slant instead of diving off into the 57 swap. But I've been combing the Forced Inductionsection looking at all the throttle body injection setups and haven't seen one yet that ran one of the 4 barrel fuel injected kits. I've seen a lot of these setups geared towards alot of the V8 guys and kind of catered to them. But I've been looking at setups like this one from Professional Products and its their Projection III kit(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-70026/overview/) and after getting off the phone with them they confirmed it had a 6 cylinder option on the menu and that the base tune could help get it running and then tuning from there via a laptop which would be the best option for when youd like to turn the boost up a little bit to make some more power. I figure one of these would be a good starting point but haven't quite cleared up how it would tie into the existing ECM already running my slant 6. I may be the test dummy for everyone if I can dig up any info on it prior to the teardown of the car. Any help or advice?

You'd be a guinnea pig for using it on a slant, but I have the powerjection system on my 360 duster. I picked it up used on eBay from a guy who had it on a procharged ford big block in his truck. I suspect he must have run into a limitation at the kind of power levels his truck was making.

I like the system now that I get it all worked out, but it was definitely more trial and error than some of the more mainstream systems.

The big killer for the system is that tech support is kind of a joke. Most of my initial troubles were sorted by using the powejection forum with other people who figured out little hiccups.

I don't mind being the guinea pig for trying it on a slant. The more I think about originality and how rare the /6's are becoming now adays I kind of want to keep it in there. I've yet to see another /6 car at any meet I've been to all year. The idea of having a stand out /6 car that can get great gas mileage and smash a lot of the bigger V8 cars on the strip when I want kinda makes it worth doing all by itself.

Well ive started down the road to boosting my Slant. I picked up the Offy 4bbl manifold and a older used set of clifford headers last night. Most likely going to run one of the FITech power adder 4bbl kits. Havent seen anyone else do it yet so ill be the test mule. Not looking to build any kind of crazy hp car. Something fun to drive is mainly what im looking for and i think ill find it pretty easy after adding a hair dryer setup. Once the parts start rolling in and i get her running on the FI Tech kit ill post updates.

Well ive started down the road to boosting my Slant. I picked up the Offy 4bbl manifold and a older used set of clifford headers last night. Most likely going to run one of the FITech power adder 4bbl kits. Havent seen anyone else do it yet so ill be the test mule. Not looking to build any kind of crazy hp car. Something fun to drive is mainly what im looking for and i think ill find it pretty easy after adding a hair dryer setup. Once the parts start rolling in and i get her running on the FI Tech kit ill post updates.

Good luck keep us informed . did you receive your f i system yet?

Not yet, but here is the breakdown on the setup ill be using straight off their website.
http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFIPowerAdder

Just got off the phone with them and they basically laid out that the only change would be to ensure you select the 6 cylinder option on the tuner before starting the vehicle. The 600hp kit can handle base tuning on about any low horsepower car to start(slant 6 not built), Their 1200 HP will only tune down to about 250hp. I will be going with the 600 hp power adder setup so no issues there. He also agreed with my "staged" approach idea of getting the car up and running on the FI Tech kit before adding the turbo to eliminate more issues later on due to throwing a turbo setup at it.

I've already got the plan to run this tank/sending unit setup from Tanksinc.com to make sure it provides solid steady fuel.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ct_id=481/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd481.htm
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=227/mode=prod/prd227.htm

-
Back