4-post lift and concrete floor finally finished

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
This project's been going on for about nine months. But instead of a dirt/mud floor, I now have a 4000 psi 6" (minimum) slab and a Dannmar D-7 four post lift. (I actually bought the lift 3 years ago and it's been in the crate until this winter).

So 3 days of rain, thunderstorms and maybe hail are coming... I used the lift - to put cars in the shop so they don't get hailed on. The last hailstorm did a lot of damage to the cars that weren't under roof or in another state at the time... now the only ones outside are the '93 F-250 (which I couldn't even tell had BEEN hailed on) and my "Golf Ball" '93 BMW with 329K miles. USAA totaled it for the hail dents, I bought it back for a couple hundred, and I'm still driving it as a backup car. Vickie's '14 Impala sustained $5400 worth of body repair to the hood, roof and trunk!

0310211319-00.jpg

Looks great, wish I had that kind of space. Great for working and for safe keeping both. I'm making do with a 2-car and QuickJacks.

I was in the same boat with the E46 I passed down to my daughter, 240K miles and runs like a top (love those inline 6's), but had to buy back from insurance for a couple hundred after a mishap.

Enjoy that shop!

I am jealous. Nice area. What flavor E39 is up on the lift? I finally sold my 2000 M5 last fall and it broke my heart to do it. That thing was a blast.

Do you have a door at the other end? I think I'd wanted the rack towards the back?>?

But you are WAY ahead of me, at least shop space. My 2 post has the "whole outdoors" LOL

I am jealous. Nice area. What flavor E39 is up on the lift? I finally sold my 2000 M5 last fall and it broke my heart to do it. That thing was a blast.

It's a '97 540i six-speed manual, with Dinan blower. That upgrade alone cost the previous owner nine large at Dinan back in '98! Also the stage 1 Dinan suspension and exhaust. I got it at 66k miles about 7 years ago and it still only has 118k. 414 hp at the crank won't win that many drag races but it sure does surprise some people :) Most trips I take the '98 740iL. Great highway cruiser.

Do you have a door at the other end? I think I'd wanted the rack towards the back?
But you are WAY ahead of me, at least shop space. My 2 post has the "whole outdoors" LOL

Yes, there's a door on each end of the 40x30 building. There is also a plywood "office" in that corner, so access on one side of the lift would have been too cramped to put it on the other end.

The best thing that I did was to seal the concrete floor before I put anything inside. Now it’s much easier to keep the floor clean. I actually use the shop vac instead of sweeping most of the time.

Unfortunately I have so much "stuff" that I had to have the concrete floor done in three stages, and move a lot of it from one side of the building to the other while each slab was poured. No place to put it other than outside, so I would have had to tarp over everything. It just wasn't practical to seal it too (not to mention the additional expense, good sealer is not cheap) since each part would have to cure before it could be sealed...
The other problem is that the sliding barn doors are not airtight and dust inevitably blows inside with the winds. So I'll be sweeping and shop-vacing periodically anyway.
Anyhow, a smooth concrete floor beats the heck out of a damp dirt floor :)

-
Back