4 spd neutral safety switch

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to wire the one wire neutral safety switch? I know its one wire . I have a aftermarket wiring kit in the car. Right now I have one spade connector on the starter relay grounded which I assume bypasses neutral safety switch. I now have installed the factory switch on the pedal. Not sure if I power the wire on the neutral safety switch to an accessory from the ignition switch. If so where is the ground coming from?? seems like I should have one more wire to run to starter or starter relay. This should be simple but I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

The needed wire is not likely in a generic harness. It's very simple.......it goes from the blank spade on your start relay, through a separate grommet through the firewall, and to the terminal on the clutch switch. It grounds the starter relay when the clutch is depressed.

So far as "where" this grommet goes through the firewall, perhaps someone can put up a photo. Nothing I've seen in the last 20 years LOL has one

This actually works the same way as an automatic.......the NSS switch on the auto (center pin) grounds in P or N

so the switch just supplies a ground to starter relay? I guess that means the switch gets its ground from where its bolted to?

I assume so. Last stick Mopar I owned was the 70 RR AND I DEFEATED the switch!!!! LOL

so the switch just supplies a ground to starter relay? I guess that means the switch gets its ground from where its bolted to?

A multi meter or a test light would tell you if the switch grounds to it's bracket.
If it does, then you know it's made to work that way.

A multi meter or a test light would tell you if the switch grounds to it's bracket.
If it does, then you know it's made to work that way.

Ok here is what I learned. I hooked a ohm meter to switch . The issue was the switch wasn't going high enough to complete ground. I adjusted rod going to the lever on the switch. It does get ground from 4spd pedal bracket by being bolted to it. I ran switch's single wire to starter relay un -used spade connector and now it all works.

GREAT!! I must tell you I just don't sweat these. Most rigs I've owned with a stick were too old to have a clutch safety. As I mentioned, I disabled it on the 70 RR along with the column lock mechanism.....shifter had to be in reversed.

These safeties can actually work AGAINST you and did me once, at least. I jumped in the 86 Ranger, started it up without thinking, and of course the clutch was depressed. I thought it was in neutral, and let out the clutch. The thing bumped the back of the shed, did no real damage.

If I had started it in gear WITHOUT a clutch switch, and without depressing the clutch, it would have just "bumped" the rig and I'd said "Oh it's in gear."

The old Farmall 100 doesn't have one, and I bet I check the shifter at least 3 times when getting ready to fire it. Wiggle the shifter, turn on the fuel, insert the key. Wiggle the shifter and pull the starter ring

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi55.tinypic.com%2F24xm4k7.jpg

The 1928 or so Farmall 'Regular' I grew up on. This was after Dad had died in 95, and not too long before we sold it. I DROVE it onto the trailer. NObody ever came close to "almost" leaving it in gear

010_8s-jpg.jpg

Am I missing something? since when do 4 speeds have a neutral safety switch? Sometimes there is a switch on the clutch pedal that won't allow the engine to start unless the clutch pedal is depressed, but that isn't called a neutral safety switch.

Am I missing something? since when do 4 speeds have a neutral safety switch? Sometimes there is a switch on the clutch pedal that won't allow the engine to start unless the clutch pedal is depressed, but that isn't called a neutral safety switch.

No, there is no such thing as a neutral safety switch on a stick.
They are called a clutch safety switch on sticks obviously, but I think we all just kind of let it go because we knew what he was talking about.

Ok here is what I learned. I hooked a ohm meter to switch . The issue was the switch wasn't going high enough to complete ground. I adjusted rod going to the lever on the switch. It does get ground from 4spd pedal bracket by being bolted to it. I ran switch's single wire to starter relay un -used spade connector and now it all works.

Nice. :D

No, there is no such thing as a neutral safety switch on a stick.
They are called a clutch safety switch on sticks obviously, but I think we all just kind of let it go because we knew what he was talking about.
Oops, I certainly didn't meant to not cut someone some slack, I was just a bit confused. When did Mopar start adding the clutch safety switches, and/or was the OP just adding it as a safety feature?

Oops, I certainly didn't meant to not cut someone some slack, I was just a bit confused. When did Mopar start adding the clutch safety switches, and/or was the OP just adding it as a safety feature?

They appeared at least some models, in '70. My 70 440-6 RR had one

Yep, some had them and some didn't for some reason, but like Del I always took them off.
I don't even like the neutral safety switches on my cars, but do have one on the Dart.
Ever stomp the gas and have a car pop back through the carb and die in traffic?
Without the switches you can just turn the key and fire it up again.:D
100% of the time I get in an stick car I push the clutch before anything else, and with automatics I put them in park and set the brake 100% of the time and always have, so there really was never a time when I was "saved" by either one.
It's other people I have to worry about. :D

-
Back