4 speed 4 door

-

74valiant

Reaction score
Haven't seen much discussion on putting a four-speed in a four-door but I imagine it would be the same process as a two-door? I have a 74 Valiant with a 408 Stroker motor that I'd like to put a four-speed behind. From what I've read, non overdrive would be what I want with the iron case. Any specific years or part numbers to look for? I saw there was a couple different bellhousings but couldn't figure out if they all worked or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Also does the floor pan transmission hump fit the same on a four-door as a two-door? If somebody has a full Dropout kit from a donor car that they're looking to sell I would be interested. Located in Michigan

Haven't seen much discussion on putting a four-speed in a four-door but I imagine it would be the same process as a two-door? I have a 74 Valiant with a 408 Stroker motor that I'd like to put a four-speed behind. From what I've read, non overdrive would be what I want with the iron case. Any specific years or part numbers to look for? I saw there was a couple different bellhousings but couldn't figure out if they all worked or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Also does the floor pan transmission hump fit the same on a four-door as a two-door? If somebody has a full Dropout kit from a donor car that they're looking to sell I would be interested. Located in Michigan

Now this is an a-body I would like to see when its finished!

Here's the 4-speed hump. Should fit fine.

If you are going to be using the stock bench seat, some mods to the shifter handle may be in order.

I'd cut the floor and mount the trans first before doing any welding.. Then , position the hump for correct fit with the bench seat in place also.

Go to Brewers Transmissions or Passon transmissions web sites for trans info. They are both very reputable.

Post some pics of your progress!!

1710883813399.png

I had a factory 68 Dart 270 4-door 273 4-speed with A/C. I sent it off to Bill Reilly at AlterKtion fame but don't know if he ever did anything with it. The 4-doors are the same wheel base and front floor pan as a 2-door, you change the quarter panels, b-pillar, rear floor section, and roof and you have the same tub as a 2-door hardtop...

4 door 2 door 108 or 111 wheel base '67 - '76 all the same except drive shaft length. Minor difference across years like pedal style diff on later models ect diff style shift handle but other then that same parts. Want 4 spd in 4 door you are golden on parts availability.

I've been collecting parts for a few years to 4 speed swap my 360 powered 68 4 door dart. the only sheetmetal you should need is the 4 speed hump. If you want a bench seat then you will want to look for shifter handles specific for mounting with a bench seat. If you want buckets then your options are completely open for handles.
For the trans try to look for a slip-yoke output shaft trans. The early a body style (don't remember the name off the top of my head but has a 4 bolt flange instead of a slip-yoke) won't work because the speedo cable is different according to the good people at brewers. I believe the slip yoke started in '66 so you would want a '66 or newer trans
Then pick a bellhousing that uses a 130tooth 10.5 inch flywheel. There is a cast iron option and an aluminum option for that. Just make sure they are for 4 speeds (The aluminum bellhousing has both 3 speed and 4 speed bolt patterns threaded in from the factory)

I've been collecting parts for a few years to 4 speed swap my 360 powered 68 4 door dart. the only sheetmetal you should need is the 4 speed hump. If you want a bench seat then you will want to look for shifter handles specific for mounting with a bench seat. If you want buckets then your options are completely open for handles.
For the trans try to look for a slip-yoke output shaft trans. The early a body style (don't remember the name off the top of my head but has a 4 bolt flange instead of a slip-yoke) won't work because the speedo cable is different according to the good people at brewers. I believe the slip yoke started in '66 so you would want a '66 or newer trans
Then pick a bellhousing that uses a 130tooth 10.5 inch flywheel. There is a cast iron option and an aluminum option for that. Just make sure they are for 4 speeds (The aluminum bellhousing has both 3 speed and 4 speed bolt patterns threaded in from the factory)

Also, here's a part you will need that most people forget about when changing from auto to 4-speed.

Frame bracket for pivot mount.

1710953599352.png

What exactly is that piece for? What is the pivot mount for? The clutch linkage?
It's a frame reinforcement for mounting the z-bar. You can see it in the picture of the orange wheel well on the right hand side. Looks like 2 of the holes are welded to the frame and the top hole has a bolt running through it. On the opposite side of the frame will be where the Z-bar is mounted

It's a frame reinforcement for mounting the z-bar. You can see it in the picture of the orange wheel well on the right hand side. Looks like 2 of the holes are welded to the frame and the top hole has a bolt running through it. On the opposite side of the frame will be where the Z-bar is mounted
ok, so i shouldnt need that with a hydraulic setup

-
Back