-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerST

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a gear set for my 4-speed with a 3.09 first gear and 1:1 final drive.
These gears came on 74-75 318 cars and on 6 cylinder cars I think.

Thanks!

Only 4 speed I ever knew that was that late in production was the 4 speed OD and it did have the 3.09 first gear. I have one sittin in the shop.

Thanks for doing the math for me.

I was actually looking to go the other way and put a less steep first gear on my 833 O/D and keep the .7 O/D ratio, so I could run 3.55 or 3.73 final.

I've got a 3.23 SG, so I may just go with that and see.

The Passon Performance site has all the possible gearset parts listed, but doesn't say anything about interchange and swap between the gears.

However, their own modified O/D unit has a less steep first, but a .8 O/D.
Of course, they certainly could have had custom parts made.

BTW, I'm currently running the 833 O/D in a truck that was a factory six but now has a 440.
I can only assume the final drive is a 2.73 (9 1/4 without a tag), since it's a 1980 six truck probably built for mileage.

With that combo, shifting out of first comes pretty darn quick.
That's why I was thinking 2.94 or 3.23 would be the max with that 3.09 first.

I'm looking for a gear set for my 4-speed with a 3.09 first gear and 1:1 final drive.
These gears came on 74-75 318 cars and on 6 cylinder cars I think.

Thanks!

I have a Transmission with those gears. They also came in 64 -65 A bodies. The 64 and 65 have the flanged output also the early speedo cable and gear. I have swapped the gearset into an A body 66 and 67 transmission tail housing and mainshaft to use the 66 up speedometer system and the small slip joint.

i was going to say the same thing.... and usually you can get the 64-5 4 speeds a lil cheaper.im about to put the gear set out of a 65 in my challenger with a 416 as soon as I find a deal on an e tail housing.

I have a Transmission with those gears. They also came in 64 -65 A bodies. The 64 and 65 have the flanged output also the early speedo cable and gear. I have swapped the gearset into an A body 66 and 67 transmission tail housing and mainshaft to use the 66 up speedometer system and the small slip joint.

i was going to say the same thing.... and usually you can get the 64-5 4 speeds a lil cheaper.im about to put the gear set out of a 65 in my challenger with a 416 as soon as I find a deal on an e tail housing.
Years ago I went to the local salvage yard and started looking at all the 4 speed's turning the input shaft with the trans in first gear. Low and behold I found one and I think it had the bolt on rear yoke. Any way to make a long story short between the one I found and the one I allready had I made up a 3.09 tran's and it work'd great. The 69 Dart pulled like a tractor. When you left the gate get ready for 2nd gear.

I have a early 833-4 speed as well as 3 or4 833OD's. I will take a look at them and see if any of them will work for you.

Thanks for the offer but I want a non OD gear set. According to Allpar the gear set I'm looking for cam with 6 cyl engines (and a few small V8 ) :
My low rear end ratio (3.23) should work well with a steep first gear - should be the same as a 2.66 first gear tranny with a 3.73 rear end.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html

I wasn't offering. That OD is going behind my Hemi. I was merely stating that to my knowledge, the 3.09 wasn't offered in a standard 4 speed in the years you specified. I read the article. I think Rick is mistaken. To my knowledge, all of the 4 speeds from the 75 on up era were over drive units. That's the point I was trying to make. I'll put it this way, if there was a non OD 4 speed made in that era, I've never seen one, and I have seen a lot of them. they would have to be rare to say the least.

Thanks for the offer but I want a non OD gear set. According to Allpar the gear set I'm looking for cam with 6 cyl engines (and a few small V8 ) :
My low rear end ratio (3.23) should work well with a steep first gear - should be the same as a 2.66 first gear tranny with a 3.73 rear end.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html

Yes, it should be about the same. If you don't have any luck, contact Jaime Passon at Passon Performance. He can provide you with pretty much anything you want.

I wasn't offering. That OD is going behind my Hemi. I was merely stating that to my knowledge, the 3.09 wasn't offered in a standard 4 speed in the years you specified. I read the article. I think Rick is mistaken. To my knowledge, all of the 4 speeds from the 75 on up era were over drive units. That's the point I was trying to make. I'll put it this way, if there was a non OD 4 speed made in that era, I've never seen one, and I have seen a lot of them. they would have to be rare to say the least.

I had a '74 Dart Sport Rally with a 318 and an iron case non O/D 4 speed with a 3.09 low gear and a 2.70 something gear out back.

Good info guys! I'll see if I can source a 64-65 tranny. I have a B-body A833 in my shop with the correct tailhousing that's why I just need the gears but yeah, a whole tranny might be easier to find.

3.09 gear sets come from A-body trunion 4 speed trannys 64-65. 66fs hit it on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back