4 speed oil change

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
wanted to change out my oil i had put in 80 90 valvoline limited slip some time ago
was wondering what oil is best? i sometimes have some second gear grindings when flooring it should i go thicker? maybe it would help? i live in Ca. any advice is welcome the a833 has some miles on it that why i wanted to see how thick i can go.

another thing adding oil to my trans from underneath would i use a syphon pump?

There is no definite answer on this because of all the variables.
Since you know how 80-90 works in it just get a bottle or two of 120wt and a bottle or two of ATF and see which one works best.

I run 30 weight gear oil in mine with 4 ounces of Justice Brothers 23P , the 23P is a metal conditioner and makes a huge difference , the trans shifts much smoother and run quieter and cooler

Here's what I did- Bought some clear tubing from Lowes (comes in all different sizes and it's cheap) and ran it down from under the hood, by the oil filter into the transmission. Use a funnel at the top. I put 80/90 Lucas in mine seems to work well. You can call Brewers performance. He is an expert on the 833

There is no definite answer on this because of all the variables.
Since you know how 80-90 works in it just get a bottle or two of 120wt and a bottle or two of ATF and see which one works best.
thanks for the reply i do notice when its cold it does not grind into second at all but once its warmed up it does at times maybe do to the oil getting thicker Or Thinner when warmed up?

thanks for the reply i do notice when its cold it does not grind into second at all but once its warmed up it does at times maybe do to the oil getting thicker Or Thinner when warmed up?

Sounds to me like thinner oil is a possible problem then, since the oil is thicker cold.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to call as poster above anyway.
Other 833's work fine with 80-90 like you had so there may be a condition that Brewers knows why yours does what it does.
Sounds like normally worn synchronizer rings to me. (the colder thicker oil stops the gear quicker than the ring does with thinner oil) and the ring is what is supposed to do it.

Sounds to me like thinner oil is a possible problem then, since the oil is thicker cold.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to call as poster above anyway.
Other 833's work fine with 80-90 like you had so there may be a condition that Brewers knows why yours does what it does.
Sounds like normally worn synchronizer rings to me. (the colder thicker oil stops the gear quicker than the ring does with thinner oil) and the ring is what is supposed to do it.
yes exactly what i was thinking im going to drain it and put some thicker gear oil and see how it goes will update found this cool factory oil weight info.

a833-oil.jpg

yes exactly what i was thinking im going to drain it and put some thicker gear oil and see how it goes will update found this cool factory oil weight info.

View attachment 1714945125

Won't solve the possible wear issue, but it'll probably mask the problem.
Might make it feel like trying to stir peanut butter in cold weather, but hey.:D

Then there's the whole (thicker isn't necessarily better) for the trans either if the oil is too thick to get in places where it needs the volume to lube well and not just seize up.

But I guess you'll just have to make your own judgment call there.
(Or call Brewers for free and find out for sure) :D

Here's what I did- Bought some clear tubing from Lowes (comes in all different sizes and it's cheap) and ran it down from under the hood, by the oil filter into the transmission. Use a funnel at the top. I put 80/90 Lucas in mine seems to work well. You can call Brewers performance. He is an expert on the 833
Brilliant idea Jimmie. A "You suck" to you for not posting it earlier. I did the gear oil gun underneath the car--not very fun!

OK,
Put 50/50 in it. That's 50% Old style ATF(like Dextron III), and 50% EP anything under 100. No additives of any kind. Roadtest it. If it grinds, put new brass in it and deglaze the cones. The longer you keep grinding it, the more it will cost to repair.Pluck it it out early and it will be just the brass and gaskets/seals.I've been running this 50/50 since 1971.I tried other stuff and other ratios. 50/50 works.
You put that thick stuff in there and maybe it won't grind; but it will also be the slowest shifting tranny ever! Unless you have it behind a slanty; then I guess it won't make any difference, cuz you have to wait for the revs to come back down anyways.......lol

update i changed my gear oil from 80w 90w i have ran 85w 140w in my a833 4 speed for a while now and it fixed the grinding and shifts great. i used a gear oil pump from oreillys auto parts cost around 10.00 bucks real easy to change out the gear oil and fast. thanks for everyones replys!

-
Back