4 Speed Swap

-

GMachineDartGT

Reaction score
Like many, I am almost finished with a manual trans swap. One thing that is overlooked is how many small parts there are to do the swap completely. For me, I was going from an original console auto 904 to a console 4 speed. My parts list was pretty long and expensive, even thought I started off buying a group of parts at a reasonable price. Just for giggles, I'll list my parts list:

AMD tunnel
Carpet
Console carpet
Clutch pedal set
Brake/Clutch pedal pads
Brake pedal bushings
Clutch pedal bushings
Clutch neutral switch
Reverse indicator light
Console
Lower boot
Upper Boot
Shifter handle
Shifter knob
Shifter knob lock nut
Shifter mechanism
Shifter mechanism mounting plate
Shifter rods
Shifter rod clips and washers
Transmission
Transmission fluid
Reverse light switch
Driveshaft (1350 joints)
Rear axle yoke
Clutch pedal rod
Clutch pedal rod and z bar washers and clips
Clutch fork rod
Z bar
Bellhousing ballstud
Bellhousing ballstud bolts (2)
Frame mount ball stud
Frame ball stud reinforcement bracket
Frame mount ball stud nut and lock washer
Ball studseals (2)
Clutch set
Clutch fork
Clutch fork boot
Clutch fork bracket
Clutch fork bracket bolts (2)
Flywheel
Flywheel bolts
Clutch bolts
Pilot bearing

Pretty good list, pretty sure its complete.

yea, i just did it to my twister. i am now driving the car and rowing through the gears.lol it was well worth it... i was on a road with a mustang teasing me, and got cought at the light. well, let me just say that this 340 by the time i hit second, i was out in front by 4 cars.lol. i banged 3rd so hard, i literally broke my shifter handle in two.

when i modified to use with a console, i did not realize that i did not grind all of the chrome plating off, and the welds did not hold to the chrome.lol but i pulled it apart tonight, and made sure i got rid of all the chrome. turned out great, and had to go take it for another ride to row through them gears. all good!
btw, it was like a 2004 mustang gt----slowwwwwww

yea, i just did it to my twister. i am now driving the car and rowing through the gears.lol it was well worth it... i was on a road with a mustang teasing me, and got cought at the light. well, let me just say that this 340 by the time i hit second, i was out in front by 4 cars.lol. i banged 3rd so hard, i literally broke my shifter handle in two.

when i modified to use with a console, i did not realize that i did not grind all of the chrome plating off, and the welds did not hold to the chrome.lol but i pulled it apart tonight, and made sure i got rid of all the chrome. turned out great, and had to go take it for another ride to row through them gears. all good!

runs like 14.5 stock...

The nickle and dime stuff is a killer. We got great deals on some parts though. The heavy duty clutch and flywheel were the most expensive parts for our swap...we didn't change the carpet as the auto carpet still fit over the floor hump.

Good. So my valve adjustment recommendation worked out good then? glad it's runnin so well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ oooooooh, she purrs, until i unleash the beast.lol

and i drove over 100 miles today with it, and it took 7.5 gallons. so i figure i am getting like14 mpg. not bad for a 340!

thanks for this post! as I am currently doing my parts search/purchases for this swap now!

-
Back