4 speed tunnel position question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
we are just about ready to install the 4 speed tunnel in the Dart Sport. I need to know where exactly this thing goes. We will not have the engine and tranny back in the car till sometime in April and would like to get the tunnel welded in before we take it to the paint shop next month. What is the procedure here from transforming from the automatic to the 4 speed. I don't know exactly how far back from the firewall to align the hole in the tunnel for the 4 speed to fit. I know once it is fitted, we need to cut the floor out underneath the tunnel, weld it in and seam seal it but where does it position exactly to make sure shifter will come up in place. Told you guys I will need help with this. LOL Pics and dimensions and links and if someone wants to come and do it for me, that's ok too. Thanks,Bill

If you are using a re-po floor tunnel is almost self-centering.
Just best fit it th the contour of the floor.
Lay it in place and you will see what I mean.
I can measure mine if you really need the dimensions.

I don't remember it being to difficult to figure like sireland said. I did have the trans in the car without the shifter. I cut a hole in the auto pan and then installed the shifter and used the stick and hole as a centering guide. Marked the outside parameter of the new 4-spd tunnel and cut it out leaving a half inch to an inch inside the marked area. I set the drivers bucket in and made sure I had proper clearance to adjust seat, which I did, then welded it in.

ok, I will sit it in and see what you are talking about. have not tried it yet. I think it came from AMD Thanks

I did the same thing rocky did I bolted tranny to the block and dropped in the car and bolted it up then cut a hole for the shifter and centered the shifter in the
the 4 speed hump and marked it for position. There isn't a whole lot of room for error on placement of the hump so if at all possible I would get the engine and tranny in before hand if only long enough to position the hump

Hey Trudy;if it is a factory or AMD it will almost center itself.If your car is on a fairly level spot you can use a level to get it close.When you have it placed where you want it take a sharpie and trace the outside of it,pull it off make another mark 3/4" inside the trace mark,this is where you cut the floor.Understand the workers that built these cars were not rocket scientists.I know a bunch of the guys from Chrysler in Fenton-great guys but the stories they tell?????

If you are off a bit it's not a huge deal, the shifter boot will allow for some mis-alignment. I had the hump and cross member cut out of a car in one piece so I was able to position the hump using the cross member/rear trans mount as a reference.

he did say that. yes it looks good Demon. I played with it a little yesterday and it looks like it will be pretty easy. I just like to make sure of things before I do it. I am getting too old to waste time. we plan on working more on that this weekend. will post a pic or two. thanks guys. Bill

-
Back