408 build

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
Hey all! Just got a 68 barracuda and already got myself a 4 speed with all the linkage, steering column, pedal assembly, driveshaft, front disc brake kit, tubular a arms, and now I am thinking of getting a blueprint 408 stoker for her. She's got a 318 now which I was planning on keeping for now but I did a compression test and it didn't turn out so well. Cylinder#2 has 0 pressure. So I'm thinking of getting a 408 short block and using some ported iron 360 heads to save money. I can use my intake and carb and some other accessories off the 318 so that's why I'm not going to get a complete crate Engome. My main question is will I get in the 375-400 hp range with stock 360 heads on the 408? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Trying to do this somewhat on a budget so I'm hoping to use stock heads. Thanks for radi g this everyone!

Hey all! Just got a 68 barracuda and already got myself a 4 speed with all the linkage, steering column, pedal assembly, driveshaft, front disc brake kit, tubular a arms, and now I am thinking of getting a blueprint 408 stoker for her. She's got a 318 now which I was planning on keeping for now but I did a compression test and it didn't turn out so well. Cylinder#2 has 0 pressure. So I'm thinking of getting a 408 short block and using some ported iron 360 heads to save money. I can use my intake and carb and some other accessories off the 318 so that's why I'm not going to get a complete crate Engome. My main question is will I get in the 375-400 hp range with stock 360 heads on the 408? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Trying to do this somewhat on a budget so I'm hoping to use stock heads. Thanks for radi g this everyone!

First of all, welcome & congrats on the Barracuda. The answer to your question is yes depending on if the 360 heads have been worked (ex: ported, valve job w/2.02s installed, etc.) and also what other components you will be using. Do you have a set that have been modified already? If not, there are some good choices out there to start with. What specific parts off the 318 are you planning on using? I ask because parts meant for a 318 may bolt onto a 408 but will not be anywhere close to optimal for it. Also, is that driveshaft set up for which trans & rearend? GL with the project. Btw: Are you near Kings Mountain Rd. by any chance?

Depending on what deck height and dish the 408ci's pistons have you can get away with fairly stock heads. For example, if the pistons are at .025" under deck height and have a 5cc dish the 360's 72cc-ish heads will give about a 10:1 compression ratio with a standard .040" head gasket.

A stock 4bbl intake would be perfect and provide lots of fun for cheap, and the 360 heads if they have been even mildly ported will probably support 350hp or more easily. I think it would be a fun daily driver, and very gratifying to do on a budget.

- boingk

The 1.88 valved heads is good for about 375 hp if opened up to 2.02 standards 400 hp if you do a full port job 450 hp plus.

1.88 valves and some port work could get you 400. There's a sticky on porting stock valves 318 heads you should check out, 318willrun has a good video on the same thing and look up some of the Steve Dulcich 400 hp 318 and 360 recipes on the Web they have some info on porting if your up to trying.

One problem you'll have is your short block is probably gonna be set up for 10:1 CR and quench with closed chamber heads.
So your cr will be a little low for the cam you'll want to run some milling could help but since it's temporary I'd just take a bit off and live with it.

Last edited:
@GTXperience I have not h are of Kings Mountain Rd, what city is that in? I noticed you live in the Sacramento area so it may be n at me since I live in the Santa Cruz area. I am planning on using my performer intake and wanted to know if I could use my existing pulleys, water pump, valve covers, alternator. Oh and I want to know if the bell housing for my 833 will fit. I got the entire 4 speed swap stuff together since I had a guy near me parting out his 68 barracuda so the driveshaft should fit since they are the same year car and both have a 8 3/4 rear. I don't want to spend more than like 600 for a set of heads on this build. Is that too unreasonable? If it is maybe I'll look into pumping up my 318

If I was you I'd find a good running engine.
My plan for my cuda is to eventually build a 408 even though I'm not the hugest fan of the design I feel if you want 400 plus cid go big block but the smaller engine bay of the early A Bodies and my budget since I got a good running 318, 408 is what's in the cards. I already picked up a decent cam intake and carb off my cousin cheap gonna run it like that with duals for now. Then replace the top end in separate projects of the next couple of years. Headers and fuel injection will be on top of the list then air gap intake and eddy heads down the road. Down the road after that point I'll build a 408 bottom end and swap the 318 top end on to it. Down the road from there always can have the top end fully ported and bigger cam. And if that's not enough there's always Nos :)

@GTXperience I have not h are of Kings Mountain Rd, what city is that in? I noticed you live in the Sacramento area so it may be n at me since I live in the Santa Cruz area. I am planning on using my performer intake and wanted to know if I could use my existing pulleys, water pump, valve covers, alternator. Oh and I want to know if the bell housing for my 833 will fit. I got the entire 4 speed swap stuff together since I had a guy near me parting out his 68 barracuda so the driveshaft should fit since they are the same year car and both have a 8 3/4 rear. I don't want to spend more than like 600 for a set of heads on this build. Is that too unreasonable? If it is maybe I'll look into pumping up my 318

Actually, I was thinking of Mount Hermon Rd. Kings Mountain is off of H35/Skyline Rd. Anyway, I lived in Los Gatos for awhile and use to go to a Wed night cruise-in at a shopping center on Mount Hermon. Don't know if they still do it or not. Also, after I lived in LG, there was an auto shop/biz sponsoring a get together at their place in Scott's Valley.

Re: the parts interchangeability. As mentioned above many (if not all) will bolt on but some may not be optimal for a 408. Ex: The Performer will bolt-on and work but I'm sure it's the 318/360 version with the smaller ports. Again, will work for now. Although not mentioned, I'm guessing the carb is a 600-625 cfm (vac sec?). Also will work but might be on the smaller side. A lot has to do with the final cam selection and head/mod you select. Everything else you mentioned will be fine (you may want to inspect your water pump before installing). The driveshaft also sounds like the right one now that it is clear it is out of another A-body with a 833/8.75 setup. One last thing: Inspect your trans components (ex: pressure plate, flywheel, etc.) before installing as well. Sounds like you are on your way.

I would tell you to stay far, far away from any production engine rebuilder. Their prices look good but that's about it.

Don't step over a donut to pick up dog poop.

My plan for my cuda is to eventually build a 408 even though I'm not the hugest fan of the design I feel if you want 400 plus cid go big block but the smaller engine bay of the early A Bodies and my budget since I got a good running 318, 408 is what's in the cards. I already picked up a decent cam intake and carb off my cousin cheap gonna run it like that with duals for now. Then replace the top end in separate projects of the next couple of years. Headers and fuel injection will be on top of the list then air gap intake and eddy heads down the road. Down the road after that point I'll build a 408 bottom end and swap the 318 top end on to it. Down the road from there always can have the top end fully ported and bigger cam. And if that's not enough there's always Nos :)

I would totally get a used engine but honestly I would just feel better buying a rebuilt one so that I know itll last for a long time. I like the way you are planning yours. letme know how it goes because I really like the idea of a 408.

I would tell you to stay far, far away from any production engine rebuilder. Their prices look good but that's about it.

Don't step over a donut to pick up dog poop.
I have actually heard really good things about blueprint engine. byt yes I wouldnot trust companies like powertorque and ATK.

Actually, I was thinking of Mount Hermon Rd. Kings Mountain is off of H35/Skyline Rd. Anyway, I lived in Los Gatos for awhile and use to go to a Wed night cruise-in at a shopping center on Mount Hermon. Don't know if they still do it or not. Also, after I lived in LG, there was an auto shop/biz sponsoring a get together at their place in Scott's Valley.

Re: the parts interchangeability. As mentioned above many (if not all) will bolt on but some may not be optimal for a 408. Ex: The Performer will bolt-on and work but I'm sure it's the 318/360 version with the smaller ports. Again, will work for now. Although not mentioned, I'm guessing the carb is a 600-625 cfm (vac sec?). Also will work but might be on the smaller side. A lot has to do with the final cam selection and head/mod you select. Everything else you mentioned will be fine (you may want to inspect your water pump before installing). The driveshaft also sounds like the right one now that it is clear it is out of another A-body with a 833/8.75 setup. One last thing: Inspect your trans components (ex: pressure plate, flywheel, etc.) before installing as well. Sounds like you are on your way.
I live like a mile away from Mt Hermon! But I have not heard of the cruise, Ill need to ask some friends if they have... Yes you are correct about my intake being a 318/360 which i figure ill use for the 408. I actually have a 750 Double Pumper that I want to use for the 408! so stoked to finally use it Tried it on my 289 mustang and it was just way too big. The head and cam selection is where I need help becuase I do not want to spend well over 1500 on eddy heads its just insane. Id rather get some stock iron heads and get some work done on them. Also does anyone know if my bellhousing will bolt to the 408?

I live like a mile away from Mt Hermon! But I have not heard of the cruise, Ill need to ask some friends if they have... Yes you are correct about my intake being a 318/360 which i figure ill use for the 408. I actually have a 750 Double Pumper that I want to use for the 408! so stoked to finally use it Tried it on my 289 mustang and it was just way too big. The head and cam selection is where I need help becuase I do not want to spend well over 1500 on eddy heads its just insane. Id rather get some stock iron heads and get some work done on them. Also does anyone know if my bellhousing will bolt to the 408?

Bellhousing is good. 750DP is good for the 408. Performer intake iffy but ok for now.

As far as the heads go, you go after what your budget allows unless you want to hold off and save up for something "better". If you are patient (while you are working on other sub assemblies) a pair of heads might come up for sale that will fit your build. Something better than what you were going to settle for. It always happens. As for the cam selection, everyone has their opinions/suggestions but it's always good to start with the mnfr's tech folks. Most are very good about working with you on figuring out good cam options. The only drawback is that they will want to know certain info on the motor/drivetrain that you may have not figured out yet. Still (on paper) you can develop an idea of what everything should look like.

Bellhousing is good. 750DP is good for the 408. Performer intake iffy but ok for now.

As far as the heads go, you go after what your budget allows unless you want to hold off and save up for something "better". If you are patient (while you are working on other sub assemblies) a pair of heads might come up for sale that will fit your build. Something better than what you were going to settle for. It always happens. As for the cam selection, everyone has their opinions/suggestions but it's always good to start with the mnfr's tech folks. Most are very good about working with you on figuring out good cam options. The only drawback is that they will want to know certain info on the motor/drivetrain that you may have not figured out yet. Still (on paper) you can develop an idea of what everything should look like.
Theres a set of 1973 340 heads for sale near me right now for 250. casting number is 3671587. I would like to get heads before I pick out a cam. Are these heads worth looking at?

Start at the rear and work forward. Build a solid balanced bottom end and change or upgrade your heads as you can afford (I did).
OR - put a four barrel carb/headers and fix things as they break. :welcome::popcorn:

Theres a set of 1973 340 heads for sale near me right now for 250. casting number is 3671587. I would like to get heads before I pick out a cam. Are these heads worth looking at?

Depends on the condition. I suggest you figure out a couple of different scenarios re: work they may need so you can get an idea what it's going to cost you.

If your going the create engine path, get the whole engine. Your really not going to be saving money with iron heads. While they would be cheaper, the performance level and how well it does it is limiting.

For the cost, Edelbrock heads are a bit more expensive but also worth the price and performance return. In terms of dollar spent vs. power gained, it is a home run.

If your going the create engine path, get the whole engine. Your really not going to be saving money with iron heads. While they would be cheaper, the performance level and how well it does it is limiting.

For the cost, Edelbrock heads are a bit more expensive but also worth the price and performance return. In terms of dollar spent vs. power gained, it is a home run.
yeah I have heard that from friend's experiences. what brand do you suggest?

Sorry, No, no experience in the matter myself. I have heard good things but nothing up close.

There are a few fellas here that have been reported to do wonderful work. Perhaps a chat with one of the fellas that are local to you?

The bennifit is there a phone call away, there all very personal and up front, all have proven honest and worthy with great results. There looking out for you a fellow MoPar brother here at a shared forum. You both get to talk and understand where your going with the build and what will be needed and done as well as what to expect.

I choose my local engine builder. 30 plus years in the field with engines in the winner circle on more than just many occasions. He builds me what ever level I'm after. Hyd.Street cam replacement passenger mills to as far as my wallet will take me. However I want it done. Off set stroke, no problem, custom angle milling? No problem. Jack *** move, I will be warned! Alao, we get to break bread and tell stories. It's awesome.

Good to know. The thing is my budget for the motor was around 3-3500. If I was going to keep the car forever I wouldn't hesitate to buy a complete $5000 408 but since I'm 19 idk how long I'll be able to keep the car. I always have heard people say they had to get rid of their cool cars when they get married and have kids. I don't want to sell my babies!! Haha so basically not sure I want to put that much money into a motor if it's not a gaurentee I'll even be able to enjoy it for long

Last edited:
I don't know what a gauge tee is, but her is the beauty of all ready owning the car....

It doesn't have a payment
It doesn't owe you a thing
It is YOUR toy, excellent stress relief
It keeps your hands from being idle
They make excellent 2nd cars for the times your "In a pinch" because your normal car is down for whatever reason.
By the way, once your married, your insurance payment drops. Once you can get classic insurance, it's pennies a day to insure!
You just need a lockable garage.

WARNING!!!!!!

Never have a girl/wife that bitches about your car and what you put into it. EVER!
Find a girl that is into cars. While she may not get greasy with you, at least she can be in on the fun with you.

My wife's car.....
IMG_0201.JPG

And hopefully completed soon!
Getting close!

My wife's car.....
View attachment 1714993560
And hopefully completed soon!
Getting close!
That's sweet! Is that a 67? My daily right now is a 66 mustang that I recently did a v8 and 5 speed swap on. I finished it over summer and needed a new project so I got the cuder! But yeah your right I shouldn't worry about that right now. Is 3500 a reasonable goal if I start with a 408 bottom end which costs 2000. Then get some 360 worked on and use as much stuff off my 318 as possible? Also will the 408 crank accept the input shaft of my 833 going in? And will I be able to use my flywheel?

It is a '67.
IF you all ready have a 408 bottom, then an additional $3500 would be awesome! IF you only have $3500, you may need to save a bit more. Shop around and pay close attention to what is and what is NOT included with the kit.

Your going to find the Chryslers a little more expensive than the Fords.

The crank MAY accept the manual trans input shaft. Tell it to the machinist that you will be issuing a manual transmission. Then the appropriate steps will be taken to make sure things happen.

My machinist always asks me because I have both transmissions in the stable. He knows my stable a bit.

The front of the 318 can donate everything. But not the damper or oil pan. You should purchase a top quality damper instead. Internally balance the 408. The stock 318 is internally balanced. You can reuse the flywheel.

It is a '67.
IF you all ready have a 408 bottom, then an additional $3500 would be awesome! IF you only have $3500, you may need to save a bit more. Shop around and pay close attention to what is and what is NOT included with the kit.

Your going to find the Chryslers a little more expensive than the Fords.

The crank MAY accept the manual trans input shaft. Tell it to the machinist that you will be issuing a manual transmission. Then the appropriate steps will be taken to make sure things happen.

My machinist always asks me because I have both transmissions in the stable. He knows my stable a bit.

The front of the 318 can donate everything. But not the damper or oil pan. You should purchase a top quality damper instead. Internally balance the 408. The stock 318 is internally balanced. You can reuse the flywheel.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bpc4080/overview/make/chrysler Heres what I am thinking of buying. I am going to be calling around to local machinests for some quotes. If this is the best deal that I can get then I'll try save some dinero by getting some 360 heads and getting them ported or somthing. I just think its carzy how a set of eddys is $1600!!!! and btw this motor is externally balanced will that affect my flywheel?

-
Back