408 questions

-

OttawaAustin

Reaction score
Hey guys im working on what to do with the scamp for a new motor over the winter. When i purchased the car it came with a 408 stroker that has had a ton of machine work done, but the eagle crank broke on the front so it needs a new crank but other wise is a complete engine, just wondering if i should go that route, and if a new different brand crank will give me a reliable rig, or should i just rebuild, the 360 in it currently, or buy a different 360. I want some go fast, but dont want to have to wrench on it everytime i drive it. I know im asking a lot, but ive had BB power and NOS, and its fun, but i felt like it was always something and i want a little bit more reliability. Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs of what i have to work with any suggestions would be awesome.

408 cu inch
4.0" stroke
4.03 bore
6.125 rod length
10.8 -1 compression

heads are 2.02 int 91.6 exhaust

cam is 545/285

these are all the specs given to me when i bought it, with all recipts and machine work recipts.

The engine is already set up for a 4 inch stroke, buy anther and put it in. Spend the money and get a forged one that way you never have to worry about it ever with the engine combo you have above.

I'm far from a stroker expert, but I agree with "dart19666".......

Go thru it and put her back together as is.......But with a Scat crank.

P.S...I'm guessing the crank failure was a Eagle "cast crank". Not knowing the "bolt on's" you have.......intake, carb, header size, your cam specs will have a peak power range in the 5000/5500 range. A cast crank should be fine in that rpm range, and the "Scat" cast has a much better reputation vs the Eagle.

Just make sure you check all the rotating assembly for damage.....And I'd have the block magnafluxed after a crank failure before I went too far with the rebuild.

I used Scat for my 408. I went back and forth over it, and ended up using their Cast 9000 crank. Rated for 650hp. Which I don't plan ever coming close too. The forged was about $500 more but I just didnt think I would need it. My machinist had nothing but good to say about it. Only been finished for a year now not very many miles to this point so I cant comment on longevity.

Automotive Machine and Performance up the road in Lawrence is building me a 408 right now using a forged Scat crank. I would at least use a cast Scat crank when you put it back together.

Is this your Scamp? If so, I almost bought it two years ago. Can't be too many stroker Scamps running around in this area.

DansScamp040Medium_zps480835b0.jpg

Put a forged crank in it and be done. Scat is good, Eagle forged cranks are fine (that's what I have in my stroker), but I wouldn't touch their cast crank...even for a low HP build.

No that isnt mine, but it is nice! Absolute is who did all the work to this motor, and who i will probably have finish it when i get a new crank, not cheap but worth it as close as they are to me. Thanks guys for all the advice!

-
Back