408 stroker header size

-

reese

Reaction score
Hi there I recently bought a 408 stroker with a 727 transmission with a 2800 stall. The motor made 418 hp to the rear wheels in the previous owner car with shorty headers but he said it was choking it up a bit. I'm putting this engine in my 1971 Plymouth duster with power steering, it currently has 3.55 rear gears in it. What size headers do you guys recommend It looks like only dougs or tti fit my car. Should I go with the tti stepped header or the 1 7/8 headers? the car is going to be a street strip car and I may spray like a 100hp shot occasionally.

Ether will do well. The tti will fit well in the engine compartment and has no tubes going out of the engine compartment.

The other headers you mentioned are Hedmans? I’m guessing.....
The Hustlers are excellent as well BUT may have unusual paths on the primary tubes you may or may not be aware of.
They shouldn’t be a problem.

I have a 408 with w2 heads that dynoed at 547hp and 562ftlbs torque, i went with the step headers. These dyno numbers were with these headers. It is my opinion that on a street strip car go with the smaller, race only go larger. On my four speed Dart with manual steering it was fairly tight fit as it was. Dyno results have shown exhaust header size changes don't have as much effect as changes made to the intake side. I faced this same choice while building my engine, Im glad I went with the stepped.

I want aware of any header that was bigger than 1.625 that would fit with power steering.
With manual steering you can use a 5204 Hooker. Or better yet, if you can find them 5303 Hookers.

But you can't have power steering.

I went with TTI shorty's for my 408

20170905_230339.jpg

I went with some Headman shorties, primarily for the fit on my 408. I have a fast ratio pitman arm with power steering and I wasn't sure what would fit. These are a drop in and they are fairly reasonable, around 250. Sorry, I have not drove the car and don't have any dyno numbers. They are 1 5/8. Rod

IMG_4450.JPG

The TTI shorties look nice and I like the fact that they sweep back a bit. The Headman's drop straight down so you have to do a very quick 90 on the exhaust. Rod

If you do hedman hussler, one of the primary tubes runs through the inner fender...its a sacrifice for stepped big tubes. Curvy under chassis or shorty headers on a 500 whp car will be restrictive imo.

IF you go this route...let me know and I will get you some measurements. I know I would have made my cuts alot smaller hand someone offered to help me. They don't come with templates or anything.

Fairly safe bet to say that shorties are more restrictive than full length headers, but they are considerably better than stock manifolds.

Hi there I recently bought a 408 stroker with a 727 transmission with a 2800 stall. The motor made 418 hp to the rear wheels in the previous owner car with shorty headers but he said it was choking it up a bit. I'm putting this engine in my 1971 Plymouth duster with power steering, it currently has 3.55 rear gears in it. What size headers do you guys recommend It looks like only dougs or tti fit my car. Should I go with the tti stepped header or the 1 7/8 headers? the car is going to be a street strip car and I may spray like a 100hp shot occasionally.

What exhaust pipe diameter are you running?

Dont know....Lol..and they are not going on a car with ps.....the front tube goes out and under the K member just like the 5204 header.

I'd suggest the 1 5/8"-1 3/4" stepped because it's a dual purpose car and you have street-type gears and converter. Straight 1 5/8" anything will be a restriction. 1 7/8" if you go to mainly strip with more gear & converter. The stepped header can handle a lot. I've been 11.14 117+ with my race only 360 Dart @ 3540 lbs with the 1 5/8"- 1 3/4" step TTI, X pipe & straight through mufflers.

If he isn't running a 3" or bigger exhaust, what diff does it make, the pipes will choke it.
Run a 1 5/8 or 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step, as long as you hook it to 3" + pipe the difference is slight until you use a real race cylinder head.

If he isn't running a 3" or bigger exhaust, what diff does it make, the pipes will choke it.
Run a 1 5/8 or 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step, as long as you hook it to 3" + pipe the difference is slight until you use a real race cylinder head.
I am interested in how the TTI W2 1 7/8 headers fit, I have a 68 Dart with a 408 and now have Tubular Automotive 1 7/8 they are worn out and am debating between them and the TTIs I like the idea of getting away from the 90 degree filter adapter

IMG_0021.PNG

I don't have power steering in my cuda but all I know is the TTIs long tubes are good headers and fit great. I really like mine.
I recommend contacting TTI and see what they have to offer in long tube for you car and horsepower. Sometimes bigger isn't always better..:)

I am interested in how the TTI W2 1 7/8 headers fit, I have a 68 Dart with a 408 and now have Tubular Automotive 1 7/8 they are worn out and am debating between them and the TTIs I like the idea of getting away from the 90 degree filter adapter

View attachment 1715126102
I had the 1 3/4 w2 headers in my 67 dart and they fit perfectly. The only issue I had was with the gaskets from remflex and it made it impossible to get the spark plugs out.
I am now switching to the 1 7/8 w2 headers because of a head change. I am hoping they fit just as nice.

I went with TTI step headers on my 408 build. Nice fit and finish. Worth every penny. They are flowing into 3" pipe with a Dr. Gas X pipe and custom free flowing mufflers. No tail pipes...yet.

I went with TTI step headers on my 408 build. Nice fit and finish. Worth every penny. They are flowing into 3" pipe with a Dr. Gas X pipe and custom free flowing mufflers. No tail pipes...yet.
Thanks Guys! and Happy New Year! I have been looking online at the TTI 340AW2s, And have a few more questions: Will they fit with a Moroso oil pan and can the starter be taken in and out ok with the headers in? What oil filter are you using, can I use a shorty? I have had 90 degree adapters for years and they always seem to leak. Would be great to get away from it. PS Congrats Locomotion on your Championship!!!

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! and Happy New Year! I have been looking online at the TTI 340AW2s, And have a few more questions: Will they fit with a Moroso oil pan and can the starter be taken in and out ok with the headers in? What oil filter are you using, can I use a shorty? I have had 90 degree adapters for years and they always seem to leak. Would be great to get away from it. PS Congrats Locomotion on your Championship!!!

View attachment 1715126284

Thank you.

I'm guessing that the W-2 headers follow the same pattern as the regular ones - 1 5/8"- 1 3/4" stepped versions.

I do use a shorter oil filter, something about 3.5", and most common headers, including TTI, will fit with the straight sump Moroso 8 qt pan. It's the Milodon 8 qt with the slightly shallower flared out sump that causes problems with some brands. But the TTI's fit those too. I can get my mini-starter in & out by some careful maneuvering of the starter with the steering cranked all the way over, to the right I believe. The wiring stud extension is removed. There seem to be a couple of different size Mopar ministarters, but I don't recall which I have.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I'm guessing that the W-2 headers follow the same pattern as the regular ones - 1 5/8"- 1 3/4" stepped versions.

I do use a shorter oil filter, something about 3.5", and most common headers, including TTI, will fit with the straight sump Moroso 8 qt pan. It's the Milodon 8 qt with the slightly shallower flared out sump that causes problems with some brands. But the TTI's fit those too. I can get my mini-starter in & out by some careful maneuvering of the starter with the steering cranked all the way over, to the right I believe. The stud extension is removed. There seem to be a couple of different size Mopar ministarters, but I don't recall which I have.
Thanks Myron

View attachment 1715126315

View attachment 1715126316

-
Back