408 stroker motor mount and transmission mount recomendations

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for new motor and transmission mounts. I have a 70 dart swinger and will be installing my 408 stroker shortly. Motor is pushing 502hp and 530 ft lb of torque on the dyno. Id imagine I should be going with something stronger than stock replacements. Car is mostly a street cruiser. I will running a 255 rear tire so not expecting to hook up hard. thanks
Mark

Haters gonna hate.

I've recently gotten mine on the road with a similar engine. I went with the poly-loc mounts from Schumaker but it appears they are out of stock. Several members have told me that they won't hold up to 500 ft lbs anyway. Some members drill a hole through the mount and use a bolt and nut to keep them from coming apart. Others use a torque strap to keep them from tearing.

The only other real choice is solid steel.

Haters gonna hate.

I've recently gotten mine on the road with a similar engine. I went with the poly-loc mounts from Schumaker but it appears they are out of stock. Several members have told me that they won't hold up to 500 ft lbs anyway. Some members drill a hole through the mount and use a bolt and nut to keep them from coming apart. Others use a torque strap to keep them from tearing.

The only other real choice is solid steel.

Surprised the poly lock is getting feedback they won't hold up. They are just a bolt and nut through the mount. Just like you say others are suggesting.

The poly locks are nice but under built for strong machines. The through bolt is a very good idea. Couple it with the torque strap. Beyond that, it is the old school methods. The ugly tie down chain or a motor plate. On the trans, its ether OE rubber or a poly mount. So far, I haven't had the need for anpoly trans mount IF the engine is held in place.

OLD SCHOOL ! F'in A! People love seeing it.
20161118_160756.jpg

and it works!
16214-1.jpg

LOL!!!

The poly locks are nice but under built for strong machines. The through bolt is a very good idea. Couple it with the torque strap. Beyond that, it is the old school methods. The ugly tie down chain or a motor plate. On the trans, its ether OE rubber or a poly mount. So far, I haven't had the need for anpoly trans mount IF the engine is held in place.

I thought Schumacher bought the Old Mity Mount company (was local).

But I see thats incorrect and the company still has its old name and now out of Alabama:

Chrysler2

A66-74graphic.gif

Stock mounts and a torque strap from schumacher. It has urethane on one side for dampening and is adjustable. Simple and effective. Super smooth too.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. After doing a little research and advice from this thread, I think I am going to go with schumaker torque strap and the mitymounts. It might be overkill and I bet I could get away with the strap and stock mounts, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the input
Mark

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. After doing a little research and advice from this thread, I think I am going to go with schumaker torque strap and the mitymounts. It might be overkill and I bet I could get away with the strap and stock mounts, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the input
Mark

The Schumacher mounts are a bit thicker than the stockers too. I didn't like how much vibration was transferred into the car and switched to stock mounts with their torque tube. It works well, was easy to install and has been reliable with my 408 in a '68 Barracuda.

Mity Mounts are great too. My 700+ hp 5 speed E-Body with a Shaker hood had those in it. They are good and have held up.

Remember the one person on the internet here who was not trying to spend your money lol. I found a piece of chain and cut it to length- nice and shiny so people couldn't miss seeing it. Of course I could always rattlecan it flat black and make it disappear but again nobody would see it !
If I'm going to spend your money I'm going to do better than that! Why don't you buy one of those big plates that goes across the whole front of the motor that goes underneath the water pump one piece of frame to the other that should be nice and expensive and hold your motor in place.

Stock mounts with the torque strap. Trans I have a Poly mount with custom crossmember and mounting plate

I have a 408 putting down similar numbers, stock mounts. No problem unless you get some real sticky rubber back there. Otherwise it is a smoke show.

My 408 Duster has factory mounts and the Schumacher Torque Strap. It's been like that for over 10 years and I have not had any problems. It barely moves. You can adjust it slightly, to make it stiffer or looser. If it was not for that strap. My old viscous fan would of ate my radiator.

Don't ya just love the sound of the fan gnawing it's way through all that copper? Ooops, dated myself, again. Gnawing through all that aluminum in todays technology.

-
Back