410 stroker build part 2

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Well I started a thread on this build 8 weeks ago or so and when we checked for zero deck piston they were like .045 in the whole and that wasn't good. Shop ordered wrong pistons..so finally 8 weeks later I have the right ones and we got the crank in tonight and checked the piston to deck height and it's .001 so we're good. I have the Scat cast crank and scat rods. The pistons are Carrillo and the heads are Pro Comp from Mike at MRL. The cam is hydraulic roller from hughes along with their roller lifters and roller rockers. Hoping to make some good power for my street strip 72 Dart 3.55 gear. Goal is low 7 sec range in the 1/8 mile. Mike said with my cam specs I should be in the 525 hp range along with 500 plus tq. Intake is a Edelbrock Air Gap topped by a 750 Quick Fuel double pumper . I think cam specs were 576 intake 587 EX and duration is 238 242 ..I know I could make more power in a bigger cam

20160523_005651.jpg

You could go bigger cam. But a cam like that sounds almost perfect for the street. Once you start getting into .600+ lift and 250+ duration at .05, you start sacrificing street ability. That thing sounds like it'll make torque down low and horsepower to well past 6K. You'll love it.

Well I started a thread on this build 8 weeks ago or so and when we checked for zero deck piston they were like .045 in the whole and that wasn't good. Shop ordered wrong pistons..so finally 8 weeks later I have the right ones and we got the crank in tonight and checked the piston to deck height and it's .001 so we're good. I have the Scat cast crank and scat rods. The pistons are Carrillo and the heads are Pro Comp from Mike at MRL. The cam is hydraulic roller from hughes along with their roller lifters and roller rockers. Hoping to make some good power for my street strip 72 Dart 3.55 gear. Goal is low 7 sec range in the 1/8 mile. Mike said with my cam specs I should be in the 525 hp range along with 500 plus tq. Intake is a Edelbrock Air Gap topped by a 750 Quick Fuel double pumper . I think cam specs were 576 intake 587 EX and duration is 238 242 ..I know I could make more power in a bigger cam

View attachment 1714936902

Rather than new Pistons, why didn't you deck .045 off the block and be done with it? Take .025 off the China rails and it would be good to go.

Seems like wasted time to me.

well it had been decked already and it's his screw up on pistons not mine..China rails ????? those heads are cast in Australia and sent to China for assembly..better then eddy heads

front and rear of the block where the intake sets....

assembled in china?...are you sure?

i bought two sets of cnc pro comp heads about a year ago...they had the price wrong on their website...I called and asked if they were going to honor the price..they said yes..and that the heads would be shipped in a couple days as they were being cnc and assembled down the street from the warehouse in southern cal...
maybe the cnc heads are done in SC
dont want to get off topic on your post...that is what speedmaster told me...

Mike told me he gets them bare ..and does his own and that he really likes the casting a lot..that's good enough for me
Any pics of the heads? I have a setup very close to yours, but with a higher solid cam .610 and flat top pistons...

Nice.... Keep us posted on the progress

Sorry it's been a bit since last post but with my buddies sleep schedule and my work schedule it's hard to get stuff done. We finally got all the pistons in the bores , file fit the rings. Torqued rods and crank to specs per arp and scat. We installed a timing chain tensioner and a Pro Gear timing chain. I must say the timing chain is a nicedk piece from Hughes Engines. We also got the cam degreed on a 106 centerline which is 4 degrees advanced per cam card. All rod clearances and thrust checked out great crank turns free no tight spots.

20160530_001035-600x1067.jpg

20160530_005514-600x1067.jpg

20160530_012732-600x1067.jpg

20160529_235509-800x450.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you lock tite the bolt holding the fuel pump eccentric/cam gear on.

Are you going to fit the heads to the block, scribe the chambers position on the block and notch the top of the bores around the valves and unshroud the valves to match the bores. There's a lot of flow enhancement to be had there.

No not going that deep into since it's will be a street car and also will see the drag strip. If I was purely racing then yes

Well we got some more done on the stroker tonight. Got the oil pump on , pick up tube on , oil pan , timing cover , water pump, harmonic balancer and fuel pump. I just set one of the heads on and valve covers to see how it looked. Next were are gonna put the roller lifters in the bores, get the heads on and check our clearances , make sure the the rocker tips are centered on the valve stems. Then check for pushrod length

20160603_000450-600x1067.jpg

20160603_002220-800x450.jpg

20160603_002228-800x450.jpg

20160603_011452-600x1067.jpg

20160603_011832-800x450.jpg

Got a question....I see the tool being used to degree in camshaft...It looks like the flat tappet attachment is being used to ride on the cam lobe....the tool I got from Comp has a different attachment for a roller cam...or am I seeing wrong...just a question....

Got a question....I see the tool being used to degree in camshaft...It looks like the flat tappet attachment is being used to ride on the cam lobe....the tool I got from Comp has a different attachment for a roller cam...or am I seeing wrong...just a question....
Not real sure I'd have to ask my buddy. These are his tools but I do know it just goes in the lifter bore and expands to tighten so it doesn't move. We used it to find max lift. He used this on his last roller build seems to work good

do you plan to dyno the engine? Would be interesting to see where it peaks with this camshaft, got 242/236 in mine with similar lift. Runs great!

Michael

do you plan to dyno the engine? Would be interesting to see where it peaks with this camshaft, got 242/236 in mine with similar lift. Runs great!

Michael
Not sure if I will . I got a buddy at the local college who has a engine and chassis dyno but doesn't have the connector needed for my engine. I could have it chassis dynoed..good thing is its all free. I could pay to dyno at local.machine shop but I'm cheap. Have you ran yours at track

-
Back