413 dual quad motor/all rebuilt... WIW

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. Let me tell you a little story about a 413 motor. I bought a 65 Chrysler about 10 years ago for the trans and gave the 413 motor to my buddy. He in turn sold it to a street rodder and now through another turn, it's back at my buddys house, not exactly the way it left though. It has now been completely rebuilt and is running a dual quad setup. It comes with complete documentation of everything that has been done, and all of the receipts for all the parts that went into it.

It has been bored, new pistons, Eagle rods, new bearings, cam, crank turned, polished and chamfered, block magnafluxed, heads done, hardened seats, roller rocker valvetrain, Milodon rear sump 7 qt. pan and pickup, dual 4 intake and Edelbrock competition carbs, aluminum waterpump housing, headers, electronic distributor. Also comes with a TCI Streetfighter torque converter, a center sump 7 qt. Milodon pan and a host of other gaskets and stuff.

My buddy wants me to make him an offer on it but I don't know exactly what it would be worth. He is moving to California and is trying to raise $$$ and get rid of most of his stuff. Sooo, any idea on what this motor might be worth?? Any help on pricing this would be appreciated. I don't really need it but I want to make an informed decision. Thanks for any input received, Geof

Attachments

• 100_2966.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 585
  • 100_2967.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 100_2968.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 454
If its a running motor and can be started on a crate in the drive way to be sure its good,it can be a good deal.If you were to do this,it would be easy 3500-4000 grand.So to come in at 1500-2000$ would not be out of line,as the parts are worth more than that.I would go over and assemble the motor to start it and run it and check it out,oil pressure and see how it sounds.If its good,make a offer,mrmopartech

It sure ain't very pretty. Would kinda make me wonder about the rest of the work done if he didn't at least try to make it look good. Know what I mean? Not trying to knock on your friend, but how much does paint cost? It would make me wonder what other corners were cut. I mean, business is business and friendship is friendship. I would throw 2500 out there and see how bad he chokes and go from there. It's your call.

how is that engine worth even half of what you guys are throwing out there???????????????????. i thought 413 were like what noone wanted.lol

Well, I can tell you that the guy who built it was going to run it in his DeSoto, so he made a mockup engine break-in sling out of the frame of the DeSoto, complete with radiator, trans mounted, all electrical and fuel hookups and ran the motor to break in the cam. When it was delivered back to my buddies house, it was still all hooked up and he ran it for my buddy. Sam (my buddy) atests to the healthy sound of the motor, and the smooth pull of the acceleration, and the nice canter of the motor at idle. Sam also got the entire setup, the DeSoto and all, but thats another story.

There are over $2500.00 in receipts for parts and machining on this motor, but again I don't really need it, so the price has to be right for me to bite on it. I was thinking $1500.00 is my top $$ on it, but I don't know how that would fly, so I thought I'd turn to the experts!!! Yea, thats you guys!!!

As for the painting of the motor, I believe that the guy didn't have his paint scheme in mind yet and was planning to paint the motor to match the car, which he never got to. The car itself is immaculate, I believe with only 17,000 original miles, but it IS a DeSoto!!! Anyway, hope this helps in determining the value!! Thanks all, Geof

Well throw out a grand or 1500 and see what he does.

If you get it then sell the duel quad manifold and by a cross ram. It's the only duel quad manifold that should be run on a 413 in the name of the Max Wedge.

When I read the description $3,000 popped into my head. When I saw the pictures it immediately changed to $1,500. I'd probably try to make $1,500 the max I'd pay. Probably less because I have ABSOLUTELY no use for the motor & don't know anybody who does. Still think it's neat & would look good painted up & sitting on a stand in the corner of my shop.

If it is all that is said it would give a 440 of the same a run for its money.that being said I would put it in any car that I would put a 440 in.and I doubt if you could build this motor for the price you can buy it for..and I would go as high as 2500 for it..but like has been said I would start very low say 800.after all he is the one that has to get rid of it.his loss your gain:cheers::cheers: that's my thought......Artie

If it is all that is said it would give a 440 of the same a run for its money.that being said I would put it in any car that I would put a 440 in.and I doubt if you could build this motor for the price you can buy it for..and I would go as high as 2500 for it..but like has been said I would start very low say 800.after all he is the one that has to get rid of it.his loss your gain:cheers::cheers: that's my thought......Artie
Good advise.I would offer $1000 only because you say you don,t need it.The way you get cars,it might come in handy some day.Good luck.

Funny you should say that Scott, because when I was taking the Coronet out to the shop one day, Sam was out at his mailbox so I pulled in. The first thing he said was..."Hey, is this the car we're gonna put that 413 in"??? I tried to sell him the Coronet on the spot, but like I said, he's moving to Cali and selling, not buying!!!

He's got 4 Harleys, a 46 and 47 Merc, his Ramcharger plow truck, and his 51 flamer pickup to get rid of along with the DeSoto and his entire shop full of tools. He's going to sell everything here for the move, then buy one nice old car when he gets there!! Either that or rent one heck of a big semi to get everything there.

I'm going to try to buy the motor and the Ramcharger as a package deal and donate the Ramcharger to Nellas horseriding program, I'm getting tired of driving all the way out there just to plow. I'll let you all know how it turns out!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2970.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 279
-
Back