413 motorhome/truck/industrial motor "chat"

-
I didn't realize RB's were considered small blocks. I'm heading over to the big block forum to discuss my 273. :roll:

I believe a 413 was not called a max wedge untill it was bored to 426 and that is why it was called max wedge.:cheers:

I know this is an old comment...but since the thread has resurfaced and I love to argue, there was most certainly a 413 Max Wedge.

I know this is an old comment...but since the thread has resurfaced and I love to argue, there was most certainly a 413 Max Wedge.
Yes sir there was, for one year in 62 then it was enlarged to a 426 in 63. In the early 70's my mother drove a 64 New Yorker with a standard 413 4bbl and that car would scream. I've got a truck/motorhome engine in a 76 D800 dump truck I drove for years and it would certainly pull, a real Tq monster. It's been parked for years but I think I'll try and fire it up, one more time.

Did anyone mention that the cam spins backwards on a gear drive setup in the industrial version of the 413? Or that the heads use small sodium filled valves?
Basically this engine was designed to function like a diesel. It's an indestructible engine, designed to run at wide open throttle under heavy load forever, without failure. The problem is that everything they did to make this engine bullet proof also made it low performance.
If you want to make any real power, the only parts you will be able to use are the block, crank, and rods. If you just wanted to refresh it and use it in a motorhome, they really are terrific!

They were indeed heavy industrial.. used a lot in heavy truck, like cement trucks, and a lot were used as marine. They had special heads with sodium valves as mentioned, extra water cooling around the spark plug,, had its own head gskt with extra cooling holes. and just about everything big block was interchangable.. And were avail. in the automotive form, with different heads, dual fours.. then bored to 426.. Ramchargers ran em in 63 I think, . . .ahhh memories,, and then came the HEMI..

I always wanted to stick an 8-71 blower on top of one of these indestructo motors in stock form just to see what would happen. (of course I just happen to have a couple 8-71's in my barn and my local wrecker has a 413 in an old Dodge motor home, hmmmm...)

OK 'nuff with the 413 Max-Wedge, and the 426 MAX-Wedge.....What I don't get ok is that they had both these motors as wedge motors, then you here people call the 440 a "wedge" now granted, I know and the rest of you as well should know, that the 440 was the largest "stock" motor CID offered to the general public, WHY wasn't the 440 a "Max-Wedge" in that whole ball of wax? Just a thought, the 413, was the smallest of this, the 426 was the mediocre and the 440 was the largest....

BUT now my question, out side of the above, Was there ANY 413's not cross-ram'd like the Max-Wedge version, for in cars, and what may have it looked like?

I ask, as tomorrow, I'm going to a place that a friend of my Step-Sons got a junk yard fulla Mopar out in the weeds, quite literally, and I want to look an see what this guy may or may-not have.....I will be taking the camera with me!

But I'd love to see what the 413 looked like without being a Max-Wedge set up which was the cross-ram intake......OR was that not done on auto's and just on motorhomes and wreckers and such like that? And to add to it was the 426 Wedge EVER done without the cross-ram intake as well?

I believe a 413 was not called a max wedge untill it was bored to 426 and that is why it was called max wedge.:cheers:

No, WRONG. "Max wedge" has to do with special heads, intake and camshaft, and only a VERY FEW 413 or 426 "maximum performance wedges" were ever built. People going around throwing this term around like it was margarine, and the fact is, most 413s, 426s, are just plain truck / industrial engines, or "car" engines

I ran across this thread while looking for something else. There was a turbo option for later model motorhomes with the 440. Interesting setup, 4bbl draw through via a two sided plate under the carb.

No turbo was ever an "option." They were an aftermarket "hang on" deal. You are probably thinking what was bought out by Accel renamed Turbo Sonic, I'll think of the name in a "couple of days" LOL here's one for a CHivvy

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4z1uVWILw"]Accel Turbo sonic - YouTube[/ame]

I believe this thread was dead, Zed

tumblr_m2lk3eUdoI1qg9ndmo2_500.gif

Turbo was an option, just not from Chrysler. Just like the 427 industriAl ford turbo. Both show up in busses. Man, old thread lol

I have a 71 413 in my garage that I took apart, it looks great inside. I plan on putting 906 heads different cam and some factory flat top pistons from a older 413. I have to get a w200 to put it in too.

will 413 heads fit 440 1976

"It depends"

Yes they bolt on. You want to ID them and you do NOT want the 413 "motorhome heads" that started this thread in the last century, LOL

The 'motorhome' heads have water pump mounting / outlets on the ENDS of the heads.

Take a good look at the following photos, which is one of these engines:

There are "may be" several differences

The crank flange may be different on earlier engines compared to passenger car engines.

The water pump is "high mount" and connects to the ends of the heads.

The heat crossover under the carb is COOLANT instead of EXHAUST. Notice in one photo there there is a temperature sender in the center of the two middle exhaust ports

Also those "dash 3" heads typically use "Ford" spark plugs IE 18mm thread, tapered seat

attachment.php

ramcharger068.jpg

attachment.php

propane it. Some of these motors run off oil well gasses for years operating pumps.

I would think any engine would do well on propane. Our forklift at work, has a 4.3 GM v-6 in it, and it does very well. Our backup generators haven't need touched, the on board computer has a warm-up cycle, that runs them monthly, on Natural Gas. Gotta believe a gas would be a better diet, than a liquid, for an internal combustion engine, most certainly a stationary one.

-
Back