416 Burning oil and the road to redemption

-
Took some time to check out the cam. Its a CamMotion grind 256 @ .050" single pattern, 110 LSA +4 ground in for 106. Knowing small Mopars are hard on timing chaings, I put the crank gear in the +2 position and degreed it. It came in @ 103.75 instead of 104--close enough. I also checked intake timing @ .050" and it was exactly 257 deg and the intake closes @ 53 deg ABDC. Checking phasing with crank gear in the +4 position showed a 102.25 ICL which I don't really care for. Lobe lift measured exactly .364". J.Rob

View attachment 1714998559
Man that block needs some slim fast!
wonder what year the block is? I don't remember mine having half moon water passages.

Rings came in today! Assembly begins tomorrow. It was only a special order due to the fact Motorstate doesn't stock a gapless top set in that bore size. J.Rob

Rings came in today! Assembly begins tomorrow. It was only a special order due to the fact Motorstate doesn't stock a gapless top set in that bore size. J.Rob
I just got a set of 30 over 340 rings with gap less tops took about 10 days to get them to Winnipeg....and when did rings become so expensive!

Price J.Rob?

Some results are in. I found this really interesting. J.Rob

IMG_20161223_125440.JPG

416BvsA.JPG

Had to go back and look at the cam numbers.

How much are you going to test? I'd like to see what it does on a 110 ICL.

Had to go back and look at the cam numbers.

How much are you going to test? I'd like to see what it does on a 110 ICL.

I tested this engine in the exact same manner as it was before the rebuild. Why would I want to retard the cam? J.Rob

I tested this engine in the exact same manner as it was before the rebuild. Why would I want to retard the cam? J.Rob

That's why I asked how much the owner was willing to test.

If you moved it to 110 you'd be closing the intake later. That's a lot of displacement for that head.

See nothing a $400 set of rings won't fix!

So it not only picked up a good amount of torque but also some 30 HP.
And it keeps pulling where your print ends.

-
Back