426 hemi advice

-
Reaction score
I have a chance at a 66 426 hemi block for $1500( yes you read that right). My concern is, the block has had repairs made to an outer water jacket on both sides as well as a repair in main cap area. Seller said he bought it this way and doesn't know anything about the extent of the damage prior to repairs nor does he know who fixed it. Is buying this block as big of a gamble as I'm assuming it is? Are these repairs somewhat common and nothing to worry myself over? I'd love an elephant motor for my dart, but not if it's gonna fly apart the first time I stab the throttle

How much power do you anticipate making with this Hemi ?

A repaired block can still handle a large amount of power in a street car .

Tommy

I would also assume it's a big gamble. What caused the damage? How was it repaired? Is it std. Bore? Is it just the block? Was it froze? The extent of the damage?
We're the repairs successful?

Repairs to area around often indicate fuel or blower use
and a tough life.

For what it costs for the rest of the components to build a Hemi,
it would not be something I would touch.

Way Way back in my Hemi Pro/Superstock days, I sold the block and heads
that were too worn and beat up for me to Funny Car guys (like Gary Densham in
his independent days).

I sure would not want them back when they were done with them!

I would leave it sittin right where it is. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Think about it, who would want it but you(you think right now)? Think about all the guys that turned their nose up at a sleeved 340 or 383 block, even if it was done properly and even really well.

Unless it's a numbers matching piece? I would pass. I passed on a simular '70 block. But had a newly added crack on side as well for $1k. Of course the seller had little knowledge. (It's surprising how one who is selling "Dummies" up?)

JMO

I'm always amused when something is for sale and the seller says "I know nothing about it". That's similar to a fine print disclaimer of "you're on your own".

I'm always amused when something is for sale and the seller says "I know nothing about it". That's similar to a fine print disclaimer of "you're on your own".

Yep,,,,usually a sign to run the other direction .

That block can be fixed,,,but it will be expensive,,,,,and that’s a lot of money for a block that’s hurt,,,,and probably already bored .060,,or .080 and needs another rebore to clean it up .

I think I saw this listed a while ago on EBay,,,,,same money and general description .

If it’s the one I saw,,,,,,something just seemed funny about the listing,,,I never looked any
further .

On the bright side,,,,it made me feel better about the value of my Hemi engine .
I have a 70 model engine,,,,that’s only been bored .010,,,,I’m going to take it to.020,,,just because that’s the pistons I have already .

Tommy

-
Back