440 heat issues...help!

-
OK now im officially lost.Did you put it back together,drill the pr holes, fix the springs,recheck seat pressure?Without a torque wrench?

Looks like they assembled the heads with shims and no seat cups assuming the casting pockets would contain the springs

Yea they put it back together without cups. I now have cups and 10* clips and retainers being installed lol no the heads are at the shop now and I will pick them up tomorrow. I had a torque wrench at the shop where the motor was assembled. The car and motor are at the house now. I will bring my torque wrench home when bolting heads on of course. Do you torque the hold downs for the rocker arm shafts?

I didn't drill the or holes. I cleaned them up with an air angle grinder. Also am ordering 5/16 pushrods .080 thick chromoly with the correct 5/16 cup size.

I'm still very curious as to how many ft-lbs of torque it takes to turn the engine over (no spark plugs) without the valve train and how much with the valve train lashed to spec.

With the valve train adjusted its right around 100 ft/lbs to turn the motor over after fixing heads and pushrods...with the plugs out

I primed it before first fire, oil pressure was 75 when it was cold and about 40 when warm. It's getting oil all the way up in the heads for sure. Vacuum leak somewhere is possible, all new gaskets everywhere in the motor. Rockers were covered in oil and when I pulled them off primed it again
And what exactly does this mean?;and oil was shooting up in the head thru the oil hole.

I primed it before first fire, oil pressure was 75 when it was cold and about 40 when warm. It's getting oil all the way up in the heads for sure. Vacuum leak somewhere is possible, all new gaskets everywhere in the motor. Rockers were covered in oil and when I pulled them off primed it again and oil was shooting up in the head thru the oil hole.
What exactly does this mean?; and oil was shooting up in the head thru the oil hole.;

it means cam bearing in correct, with rockers (and shafts removed) priming pump oil is shooting up thru the head thru the drilled hole to the rocker shaft, like it should?

5/16" pushrods and cups under the springs fixed the issues I was having. Took it for a test drive, 3000 stall converter is new and it flashes 5k...tested it rolling in 3rd at about 30 mph and stabbed it. Instant 5k.

Took it to the track, had a sluggish 1.68 short time and 7.28 @ 94mph. Leaving at 2k. When I shifted to second the shift light never went off so I grabbed third.trans fluid smells burnt, this is a newly rebuilt trans with 5 passes on it. Broke down and bought a proven trans with 10 passes on it and my other one is going back to the builder. Been a helluva battle to get this ol Mopar going.

Can you get ahold of the bar you use to change valve springs with the heads on the motor and check to see if the valves are binding in tight guides? Check after getting hot if possible.

-
Back