440 hp 2

-

gclintonmopars

Reaction score
I have a 440. and on front pad it reads HP 2 block. in a Catalogue I have it says this is a 6 pack block ? any one know Thanks Gary

I have one that came out of 69 1/2 roadrunner six pack and it has HP 2 on it also.

People over time have misconstrued the meaning of the stamp into some desirable skunkworks engine, or a special metallurgical block. It just means the guys who slept all day cast your block. It also has nothing to do with the original HP2 fender designation for the Hemi. Now THEY are special.

aggas.jpg

I dont think the demand ever necessitated 24 hr. production, but we have some retired Chryco workers on fabo who may know firsthand.

That is my question. why no 1or 3 shift. never seen one. Gary
IMO, Lack of a "1" probably assumes 1st shift. Lack of a "3" likely not produced on 3rd shift.
Basic rule of manufacturing, If it don't need it, don't do it.
Spikes in demand may require longer shifts but not necessarily additional employees to open another shift.

-- IMO, Lack of a "1" probably assumes 1st shift. Lack of a "3" likely not produced on 3rd shift.
--
-- Makes sense. - What does "High Performance" (HP) mean, that makes it different from Non HP ?

Based off a lot of years of doing it, and a lot of various reading from the 70s to now. I will never say "always" with mopars...lol.
"HP" stamp on the ID pad refers to the actual engine assembly. Depending on the body it was destined for it could mean a variety of horsepower ratings depending on the displacement. That being said - in 4bbl form - that meant the same heads, the same cam, and the same pistons as a non HP. The difference was in the intakes and exhaust manifolding to package them in the respective chassis and the windage tray. I have seen different specs for HP camshafts vs non HP. I've never encountered that in taking probably 50+ apart.

-- It only shows 2 motors - 350 HP, which must be the standard one, and a 375 HP one, which would be a six pack motor. -- I have pulled HP2 motors from 4 bbl Chryslers. -- Back to question what does HP mean, for example, in a Chrysler ? - I'm not arguing with You - just looking for info. -- Thanks for Your input.
Actually the mymopar link shows variations for several different years. The six packs were the 390 HP. You cant just look at one year though.
There is a ton of information in both those links.
Here are some engine specs that may help. General, tune up, and valve.....................
440SpecGen.jpg
440SpecTune.jpg
440SpecValve.jpg

-- Actually the mymopar link shows variations for several different years. The six packs were the 390 HP. You cant just look at one year though.
There is a ton of information in both those links.
Here are some engine specs that may help. General, tune up, and valve.. --
---- You've hit it - good research job. -- This answers the question re HP & 6 Pack vs. Std. --

Various 440s.JPG

-
Back