440 in '65 DART

-

A/MP

Reaction score
I could not find a search button with the new format. I have a 440 with about 600 HP. I have a 10 pt. cage and the frame tied, Dana 60 ready to replace the 8 3/4. What problems do I need to know for this swap? I can switch to a custom K member if that helps.

Street/strip or race ? You'll need 2in fenderwell headers and have to trim/ tip back right shock tower. What oil pan ? LRT k frame would make things a lot easier.

Street/strip or race ? You'll need 2in fenderwell headers and have to trim/ tip back right shock tower. What oil pan ? LRT k frame would make things a lot easier.
Strip only. Right now the oil pan fitsAB and E, Milodon 7 qt.

You'll need the "dropped" V8 centerlink. Using a Motor plate ?

I was thinking to notch the firewall to help slide the engine back gain some clearance.

I was thinking to notch the firewall to help slide the engine back gain some clearance.

Then you will probably have to modify trans tunnel and trans crossmember. You may also have trouble with centerlink and oil pan

I presently run a small block with a 904 trans. I had modified the trans tunnel for a little extra room but then opted to cut out the hump and make a larger space for a blanket, cooling and to get my hand up there.

It may be worthwhile to cut holes in the firewall where the top trans-engine bolts are and plug them with body plugs. That's what I intend to do on my 66 BB project. It may be wort thinking about at least to ease future maintenance.

I'm not quite sure moving the engine back would be worth the trouble. Between firewall clearance, trans tunnel clearance and possible oil pan/centerlink interference, what would by moving the drivetrain back a couple inches?

With the engine in the stock location and V8 centerlink, you'll have plenty of room for the oil pan. Here are a couple shots of my pile.

PA250015.jpg

IMG_0381-2.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Just curious- What rear suspension do you plan on running?

I did this 440 in my 64 dart drag car and I moved the firewall back 4 inches which mad it easer to fit the fender wall headers and have room for the rad...you will also have to mod the trans tunnel and support....also the front part of the rockers were the fender meets will have to be trimmed........if you need more info pm me

I've opted for the motor plate. I'd like to move everything back to get some better weight transfer. Does the brake pedal situation change with moving the firewall back?

I've opted for the motor plate. I'd like to move everything back to get some better weight transfer. Does the brake pedal situation change with moving the firewall back?
well yes and no....if you want to lift it up so you don't have to remove master cylinder when adjusting valves then yes.......I am thing about doing a large post on the hole thing ..with pics........what do you think............thanks let me know

Last edited:
-
Back