440 Pistons, How F*cked am I

-
Magnaflux is a verb, or noun. Look it up.

Post #44 appears to be an attempt to recover from your mistake in post 42.

For the OP and others following along, it’s is worth being clear, IMO.
that's true but you have to look at the context as which it was used in the sentence to determine that. retake English 101...."shoot it with some magnaflux" is a noun. Capitalizing it in post 44 was making it clear.

After all that ... if you just type "can you magnaflux aluminum parts" into google one of the first results is going to explain how to use the Magnaflux chem dye process on aluminum. It doesn't matter if you cap the M in magnaflux or not.

I know because I did it to avoid posting "hey you can't magna anything that's not ferrous" and being wrong.

Look, I may be the king of "cutting corners" (wow, No Pun intended) as it's taken me years to try and get my Demon back in action due to money and time, but RRR has always been active and helpful. I'd listen to his opinion; It's worth the peace of mind and in the end just a small bump in the road. Like my dad used to tell me... "There's never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it again."

If you decide to keep, you can check for cracks with a die penetrant kit...https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-dye-penetrant-test-kit-aerosol-can-k801s/i/G308644279/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&campaignid=21424294680&productid=G308644279&v=&gad_source=1

We had a three part spray system that we used often in the steel mill like above. On down days we would clean and spray check the gears on troublesome lineshaft gears then grind the crack out so our welders could weld them up. Then we could grind them to proper shape. We used it a lot for shop work rebuilds on lots of projects. I miss some of those jobs sometimes but then I wake up.

If it helps.......

1725733478171.png

Way back in the day at the piston pin mfg. outfit I worked for, a Magnaflux Corporation Instructor was called in to train several of us final inspectors. Certs were a requirement for the MPI of aircraft pins and some locomotive. Lycoming, Continental, and GE were a couple as I recall.

-
Back