440 Pistons, How F*cked am I

-
This is one of the times I would want to know the whole story and then hold it in my own hands for examination. If I wasn’t in a hurry I would aggressively advertise for a new one then spend some time cleaning that one up while I waited for replies to my ads. With all the facebook groups I belong to the chances of finding a replacement would be pretty good. Then I could use that one on my bench for a pencil holder.

Look on the under side of the piston to see if there is a number, If so, post that number in a "Wanted" ad on the site. There is no telling if someone may have a spare floating around. Personally, I'm with RRR. I wouldn't take a chance because cast pistons can have tiny fractures and with come apart with no warning. Measure expense versus looking time for a replacement.

Someone on here has to have a spare piston floating around. I have a 440 that's hanging on an engine stand, and I am not planning to use the pistons I take out of it, but I really don't want to tear it apart just to pull one piston out. I have a lot of stock 400 pistons I've saved. I'll dig around and see if I can come up with a 440 piston somewhere.

Tom
Thank you

I would certainly replace it.
Would you buy an engine that you knew had a piston like that in it to run it and not rebuild it properly?
If you were selling the same engine, would you warrantee it?
That will give you your answer right there...

It’s mine
I'd clean it up and use it, here's why:

1. You just said it was for yourself.
2. I've done worse when I was young and had no $$$...Ran excellent
3. A different piston will more than likely be a vastly different weight
4. Different piston? Now you need to press it off properly and get the (different one pressed on properly)
5. Major time and hassle savings to put in the bank.

Cast aluminum pistons of that era are quite robust and thick and where you damaged that piston is just in about the best place you could ask. As long as the rod moves freely I'd dress it down and once the oil pans on, forget about it. I dropped a 360 piston/rod assembly on the floor and knocked one entire skirt off about 1/2" below the oil ring land. I was horrified but had no time (my daily) no $$$....Dressed it down and that engine ran just fine. Unless you can find an exact replacement, I wouldn't worry about it. J.Rob

Had a miss hap in the shop and this piston was the casualty. I’m a newer engine builder and I’m out of time and cash. Might be a stupid question but can I run this how it is, or is it a paperweight?
View attachment 1716297664
Looks like you had the whole assembly in a glass bead cabinet. I'd work on making sure I had every last bit of abrasive out of that pin bore or you're pressing all of the pistons off anyways. J.Rob

FYI... Magnaflux is a company that makes dye and penetrants for ferrous and non ferrous metals.
Sure...semantics, ya got me-lol. That's like me saying wipe your bores down with a lint free cloth, not Kleenex and you saying "Well actually Kleenex makes lint free cloth wipes". J.Rob

Sure...semantics, ya got me-lol. That's like me saying wipe your bores down with a lint free cloth, not Kleenex and you saying "Well actually Kleenex makes lint free cloth wipes". J.Rob
you started it! LOL and your analogy is inaccurate as well. I'm just trying to help this guy not be a smart ***.

I never heard anyone actually think to say they're going to leave a poop. Everyone says they're going to take a poop....but essentially it means the same thing.
Just saying.

Magnaflux is a process that requires ferromagnetic (iron or steel) base metal.

Magnaflux Corporation has other NDT products. But in the context used, “magnaflux”, was neither capitalized nor the word “Corporation” used.

RAMM for the win.

Magnaflux is a process that requires ferromagnetic (iron or steel) base metal.

Magnaflux Corporation has other NDT products. But in the context used, “magnaflux”, was neither capitalized nor the word “Corporation” used.

RAMM for the win.
magnafluxing is the process. magnaflux as used in the sentence is a noun. I also did capitalize it for him in post #44 in case he was like you and couldn't tell the difference. Ill work on my capitalization of proper nouns even when I'm in a hurry and it doesn't probably matter to the O. P.

Last edited:
magnafluxing is the process (verb). magnaflux is a noun. I also did capitalize it for him in post #44 in case he was like you and couldn't tell the difference between a noun and a verb as used in a sentence. I’ll work on my capitalization of proper nouns even when I'm in a hurry and it doesn't probably matter to the O. P.
Magnaflux is a verb, or noun. Look it up.

Post #44 appears to be an attempt to recover from your mistake in post 42.

For the OP and others following along, it’s is worth being clear, IMO.

-
Back