440 sitting crooked?

-

standup303

Reaction score
Got the 440 mounted up and it’s a little crooked. Both engine mounts are about in the only spot they can go with still having access to both the underside nuts. Schumacher headers are touching the power steering gear box. Not really anywhere for the motor to straighten out. Just wondering if this is normal?

69 Dart
Original 273 k frame
Schumacher mounts
Schumacher headers

Everything dropped right in, didn’t have to force anything, including trans cross member mount.

IMG_9378.jpeg

IMG_9377.jpeg

I would put a large washer or two under the passenger's side mount.

Got the 440 mounted up and it’s a little crooked. Both engine mounts are about in the only spot they can go with still having access to both the underside nuts. Schumacher headers are touching the power steering gear box. Not really anywhere for the motor to straighten out. Just wondering if this is normal?

69 Dart
Original 273 k frame
Schumacher mounts
Schumacher headers

Everything dropped right in, didn’t have to force anything, including trans cross member mount.

View attachment 1716300035

View attachment 1716300036
I think the Middle Hole in the Core-Supprt is there to Center-Line the Engine... Correct?

uhhih.jpeg

schumacher instructions include a table that shows engine placement measurements. It is offset by 1.25".

eng ctrline.JPG

If the rear transmission crossmember is in alignment,,,,then you know that is right .
The front should measure like the Schumacher instructions read ,,or at least in the ballpark .

These engines are offset to the passenger side from the factory.
They all vary a little bit,,,,,but it should be fairly close.

Use the C measurement like the sheet reads,,,,from your pic that should be the easiest to check .

Tommy

Easy peasy. The frame rails are the same distance apart from the transmission cross member all the way to the front, right? Then measure from the center of the transmission output shaft to each frame rail and match up the center line of the crankshaft with the frame rails in the front.

I feel the front of the engine could go 1”-1.5” towards the driver’s side.
wrong , on a big block they recommend 1 3/8'' toward the pass side .
That's where my 440/505 sets with 2'' headers in a small 68 barracuda engine bay , everything clears , "but not by much "........jfyi

The off set is 1 1/4 . We have a long fixture that slides through the timing cover and out of the tailshaft of the trans to set pinion angle . Proper location of the engine side to side is important for drive shaft alignment. Use thicker mount bisquets if needed. slant six or 80's truck

100_0551.JPG

100_0550.JPG

100_0116 (2).JPG

100_0018.JPG

69 Dart
Original 273 k frame
Schumacher mounts
Schumacher headers

View attachment 1716300035

View attachment 1716300036
Mopar engines are not centered in the car. Is that what you're getting at?

A buddies 440 in a 66 Satellite - his carb has site glass @ the 4 corners & the pass side level always higher than drive side - ??

Mopar engines are not centered in the car. Is that what you're getting at?
It looks to me like it's leanin a little to the passenger's side. That's why I recommended the washers under the mount. Maybe it's one of them there optomological illooshoonists.

Thanks all! Pulled some measurements based off the chart that was posted and I’m happy with it.

Thanks all! Pulled some measurements based off the chart that was posted and I’m happy with it.
Cool. Then you were talking about it being off center, which you found out is normal. Looks good too.

-
Back