440 Source Flywheel

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use a flywheel from 440 Source? I need a new piece and one is for sale locally.

They work great, I know of a couple guy's using them, I just bought mine from Al's Rapid Transit on Ebay for about $50 cheaper though! I'll post the item number for you

Jeff

It's not SFI approved. At least their website does not say so. I guess that's why the low price.

It's not SFI approved. At least their website does not say so. I guess that's why the low price.

Correct, I'm sure it's straight out of the C H ina auto part's company, and I probably wouldn't be out running a 700 hp big block up against it, but for street use they seem to work fine. My buddy is running a built 416 stroker, with a centerforce dual friction clutch, and he pounds it pretty good, holding up good so far. The Chinese are great at copying part's so I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I'm using one . Bought it because it works with internal and external balance motors and it works fine

The one 440 source sells is a chinese knockoff of the one McLeod sells minus the sfi rating, the balance weight from 440 source will fit on the McLeod wheel and vice-versa, the weight is generic though as far as the actual weight needed to balance each engine that it is said to fit. As far as quality goes I'd trust the 440 source wheel more than I would trust a 40 year old stocker.

I'm running their billet steel flywheel behind my 340 and it hasn't sawed my foot off yet. So I guess it's not half bad.

My experience is this:
Bought new 440Source "billet" flywheel
New ACT PP
Used a slightly used Zoom Kevlar disc.
Worked good, no problems, except for 3-4 times on a hard 2-3 shift it would slip out of 2000 miles driven. Took it apart for an engine swap, the flywheel looked like a brake rotor after 20,000 miles with no linings, I swear. The disc was ok and the PP looked like brand new, I even sold it to a member on here it was in such flawless condition. After that, no more of those POS flywheels.

I went ahead and bought the flywheel. I'm off on Fridays so I will install it first thing. Thanks to all who responded. I'm ready to bang some gears!!! :burnout:

Anything other than Organic linings are going to be rough on a flywheel. They work from the heat of friction just like racing brake pads, they need to slip to warm and grip.

Wondering......Does that Kevlar disc require a flywheel with a special face or insert?

Very possible, but what intrigued me was the fact the PP was like brand new, not a scratch. Those clutches didn't spec a special flywheel from what I have seen. The flywheel was toast, just a fair warning. Hope everyone elses experience is better. I am running RXT disc's this time.

I went ahead and bought the flywheel. I'm off on Fridays so I will install it first thing. Thanks to all who responded. I'm ready to bang some gears!!! :burnout:

One other thing to check, this could be the Quicktime bellhousings fault, I had to shim the starter about .060" away from bellhousing to get the starter drive to release from the flywheel teeth.

The 440 Source flywheel is installed. Had to open up one of the holes in the PP slightly to bolt it to the flywheel. I have a QuickTime bell housing. Had issues with starters chewing up the last flywheel. Found out the bolts that hold the starter together were actually coming loose. I put loctite on every freakin' bolt. Fired it up, spins like butter! Kicked my *** though. :burnout:

The 440 Source flywheel is installed. Had to open up one of the holes in the PP slightly to bolt it to the flywheel. I have a QuickTime bell housing. Had issues with starters chewing up the last flywheel. Found out the bolts that hold the starter together were actually coming loose. I put loctite on every freakin' bolt. Fired it up, spins like butter! Kicked my *** though. :burnout:

Congratulations, the effort on the small details,make the damn difference.

OK, I was interested in where the balance weight was mounted ( distance from center of crank) and how much the balance weight weighed.

The 440 source weight comes in at 130 grams (a little heavy for a small block) and the bolt holes for the weight are 4.650" from the center of the crank hole.

My engine was internally balanced so the weight was removed from the flywheel.

-
Back