440 Test Stand: Do I need a ballast resistor?

-

70runner

Reaction score
For my rebuilt 440 initial startup I don't intend to use the alternator/volt reg circuit. Stock distributor with points. The control panel for my engine test stand will use an original ignition switch. I plan to use the stock "start" circuit from the ign switch, yellow wire (battery) to the starter solenoid and brown (battery) to the coil. For the "run" circuit, I plan to connect the dark blue wire (battery) directly to the coil without a ballast resistor. Will this be OK for the 30min break-in run or should I use the ballast?

Attachments

• instpanel1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 314
I would use a ballast. The coil isn't supposed to see 12V.

I would use a ballast. The coil isn't supposed to see 12V.

and with an MSD set up how much voltage is going to the coil??

now granted he is running a point dizzy which is the only reason not to have 12V at the coil....

and with an MSD set up how much voltage is going to the coil??

now granted he is running a point dizzy which is the only reason not to have 12V at the coil....

Really? The factory electronic ignitions all had a ballast because their coils are not supposed to see 12V. hmmmmm

Coil sees 12v at startup, but I know it isn't supposed to see 12v for extended periods. Just didn't know if 30min qualified as extended.

I would think it would be extended. But as said, coils are cheap.....but ballast resistors are cheaper.

Don't let it stop you. Coils are cheap.

lol

Really? The factory electronic ignitions all had a ballast because their coils are not supposed to see 12V. hmmmmm

well hmm... i guess maybe the newer tech in coil (maybe turn ratio's) allow the coil to take more voltage?

maybe Chrysler just never dropped the resistor from the system?

im interested now!

When I first bought my Duster, we had to hotwire it to get it home. drove it for 2 hours with the ballast resistor out of the picture. Nothing melted, but maybe I just got lucky.

You do need to drop that voltage and run the ballast resistor if you're running it more than just a few minutes. The coil can overheat otherwise.

-
Back