4spd swap checklist for a 68 Dart GT 318/904

-
This particular one was a known running engine pulled from a Ram pickup. My lil 318 seems to run pretty good but I plan to do probably a magnum 5.9 at some point. Hard to believe that the 5.7 hemi has been around 20 years now.. magnums are getting tougher to find..
Yes, they are. I can’t seem to find a decent low mileage unit around here and I live in Phx which is a huge metro area. But, I have time so will come across sooner or later. Same goes for the 8.75 and A833 I’m searching for. Should’ve picked this one up in the thread but I hesitated.

Yes, they are. I can’t seem to find a decent low mileage unit around here and I live in Phx which is a huge metro area. But, I have time so will come across sooner or later. Same goes for the 8.75 and A833 I’m searching for. Should’ve picked this one up in the thread but I hesitated.
For me here in Louisiana, I had to take an 8hr round trip to Mississippi to find just an 8 3/4 housing. It was only 600 bucks with just the axles included. Whether it was cheap or overpriced.. I needed it.

On the 4 spd prior to the one I bought for sale, I was looking at a 500 mile radius and found a few B and E body transmissions. When an A body one came up, it was an overdrive unit that looked like it had been under water the last 20 years. People on eBay are really really proud of their stuff to lol

Keep looking though, there’s a seller on eBay that sells refurbished 8 3/4 housings with axles in all factory widths. It’s expensive but, it’s a sure thing.. I wanna say with shipping it’s around 1500 bucks with new large bolt axles. It’s not ideal but I would have had to go that if there were no other options outside of getting an explorer 8.8 and have it modded to make it work.

For me here in Louisiana, I had to take an 8hr round trip to Mississippi to find just an 8 3/4 housing. It was only 600 bucks with just the axles included. Whether it was cheap or overpriced.. I needed it.

On the 4 spd prior to the one I bought for sale, I was looking at a 500 mile radius and found a few B and E body transmissions. When an A body one came up, it was an overdrive unit that looked like it had been under water the last 20 years. People on eBay are really really proud of their stuff to lol

Keep looking though, there’s a seller on eBay that sells refurbished 8 3/4 housings with axles in all factory widths. It’s expensive but, it’s a sure thing.. I wanna say with shipping it’s around 1500 bucks with new large bolt axles. It’s not ideal but I would have had to go that if there were no other options outside of getting an explorer 8.8 and have it modded to make it work.
I had an 8-3/4 cut to fit with all new parts built by a guy on ebay out of Michigan. I don't remember exactly how much it was but it wasn't a lot more than buying all the parts and building it myself - plus he cut down and welded the housing to A-body width. It's worth looking into unless you're in for the thrill of doing it all yourself. :thumbsup:

I had an 8-3/4 cut to fit with all new parts built by a guy on ebay out of Michigan. I don't remember exactly how much it was but it wasn't a lot more than buying all the parts and building it myself - plus he cut down and welded the housing to A-body width. It's worth looking into unless you're in for the thrill of doing it all yourself. :thumbsup:
I don’t know how to weld so the A body housing I did find and then bought was lucky.. I just had to spend a day road tripping it.. I’m getting a center section from a fellow member here and possibly some brakes also from a fellow member here. It’s coming together slowly.. maybe by Christmas I’ll have my 4 spd and 8 3/4 rear in this ole Dart.. give it a new lease on life. Nothing wrong with a 904/7.25 car.. it’s just not the route I wanted to go..

Side note, I put in for a personalized plate and with the speed of the OMV in Louisiana, I may have this stuff swapped in before that plate arrives :lol:

I don’t know how to weld so the A body housing I did find and then bought was lucky.. I just had to spend a day road tripping it.. I’m getting a center section from a fellow member here and possibly some brakes also from a fellow member here. It’s coming together slowly.. maybe by Christmas I’ll have my 4 spd and 8 3/4 rear in this ole Dart.. give it a new lease on life. Nothing wrong with a 904/7.25 car.. it’s just not the route I wanted to go..

Side note, I put in for a personalized plate and with the speed of the OMV in Louisiana, I may have this stuff swapped in before that plate arrives :lol:
Sometimes your better off buying the whole car or truck, taking what you need and sale off the rest that you don't need, but someone else does. Looking for a 360? Many trucks and vans had them.

Sometimes your better off buying the whole car or truck, taking what you need and sale off the rest that you don't need, but someone else does. Looking for a 360? Many trucks and vans had them.
Yes, I’ve seen many for sale that would be good donors. I just don’t have the room to be able to hide it from the HOA. I already have to shuffle things when I need to work on something. My side yard has my flatbed, the Dart is in the backyard and all 3 garages spaces have my other rides.
Things will turn up eventually.

-
Back