5.7 k member for 68 barracuda

-

dartboy73

Reaction score
Mods please move if this is in the wrong thread
so I picked up a 1968 barracuda fastback and want to put a 2004 5.7 hemi in it . I have already found a motor and the guy already has it bolted up to a smallblock 727.My question is the car has a /6 k member what options and companys do I have for a k member swap?
is there some way to just change the k member and keep the stock suspention? or should I just man up and upgrade the whole front end?

Find a stock 73-76 A body V8 spool mount K frame, and buy TTI mounts. I used one in my 70 Duster with a 2006 5.7, and it fits good. I did some modifications to my drivers side motor mount in order to be able to keep the AC compressor in the stock location. If you are using a motor from a truck instead of a car, that modification isn't necessary. My motor came from a crashed 2006 Wagnum R/T. Look thru this New Hemi Swaps forum to find my thread titled TTI spool mounts vs AC compressor to see how I moved the drivers side mount if your motor is a car motor. Good luck.

I'm actually thinking of buying new. There are no auto wreckers anywhere near me and I dont want to be outside wrenching it's cold in alberta this time of year lol

If you are wanting new then you can go either with the RMS set up or a hemidenny k.

Ya that's the only two I could really find k thx :)

Personally, If I was going to spend the big $ on a aftermarket K frame I would not use one that keeps the factory front suspension. (Id go with the alterKation or Denny's)

The Torsion Bars make the HEMI install quite a bit more difficult for header clearance and so on... There are a few companies that make K-members to keep the factory stuff, but I have been under the impression that they are lightweight "race only".

If money is a concern, you can find those 73-76 spool mount K members for sale here on FABO for like 150ish... and stay outta the junk yard when its chilly.

JOE

That's the answer I was looking for I'm looking to spend around $3500 is that a realistic number or am I out to lunch

That's the answer I was looking for I'm looking to spend around $3500 is that a realistic number or am I out to lunch

If you squeeze the nickel until the buffalo S&%TS, it is possible, but not very likely. The little stuff adds up fast. You could probably do it for $3500.00 IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A MOTOR.

Electronics range in price from $1500.00 to 3000.00 alone. If you go with TTI Headers and motor mounts that's another $1000.00, fuel system adds more. Add in oil pan, oil filter block off and remote oil filter and the costs continue. If you are looking for a turn-key solution $3500.00 probably won't cut it. But if you pick components carefully you can save a lot.

and if you are clever you can save a lot.

Make your own harness and potentially save over a thousand. Some people have used Jeep manifolds instead of headers. Some people make their own mounts for a few bucks. I've even see one guy cut up a truck stamped steel oil pan to fit a C body. As you can see if you have some good fab skills you can save a lot.

Best of Luck.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I have the motor already and it has been turned into carboration I just ment the k member and coil overs etc etc

Few options for k-member
There may more, but this all I can think of at the moment.

Keep the stock one, use swap mounts, aftermarket may be easier

Magnum force
http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=3

AJE racing
http://www.ajeracing.com/mopar.php

Qa1
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/...ion-components/k-members/mopar-k-members.html

RMS
https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16176&cat=268&page=1

Just found this one, don't know if it'll work for your application
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tuk.html

I have the motor already and it has been turned into carboration I just ment the k member and coil overs etc etc

I bought a '73 Spool K-Member for $100.00 a set of TTI mounts is $250.00, rebuilding the front end including swapping in disc brakes has a huge degree of variable pricing. For example are you going to replace the upper control arms with tubular ones? Are you going to replace the torsion bars? Are you going to upgrade the brakes?

I made a spreadsheet with all of these possible numbers, basically if you replace EVERYTHING you can do it for a couple of thousand dollars.

Obviously if you go with a coilover setup the price rises substantially. Reilly's setup is $4500.00 before brakes.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I could never see swapping my entire front K member and suspension over to facilitate an engine swap as making much sense, to each their own. The HDK is the best thing going in that dept. though IMO.

Hey 72BBSwinger, think of it as buying a used car a going through it thoroughly. All you need to do is remove the T bars, strut rods, remove the rotors & calipers , unbolt the ball joint knuckle, tie rod ends, and than lower control arms. Than unbolt the k member, and reverse everything. I did it twice in one day last week, and found 4 bend strut rods, one bad ball joint, and 2 bad lower control arm bushings. When you re install the new k member, don't bolt it up tight. Slide the T bars in, and if you can put the clip in you're golden, if not, apply some forward pressure to the k member to get it to move. Once they are both in Woo Hoo !!! If you use a k member with biscuit mounts, elongate the top of the oval slot and use washers. Gen III's tend to fit tight.

I could never see swapping my entire front K member and suspension over to facilitate an engine swap as making much sense, to each their own. The HDK is the best thing going in that dept. though IMO.

I seriously considered a RMS setup and probably would have bought one if I could have afforded it. Not simply because it makes swapping the Gen III Hemi a LOT easier but because you get the added benefit of power rack and pinion steering, all new components, and a setup with excellent geometry that gives the car a modern feel.

So there are a number of benefits to various aftermarket setups, but you're right if the ONLY reason your doing the K-Member swap is for the ease of installing the motor it would be a waste, you have to look at it from the perspective of your overall project.

For me at the end of the day, with a wife, two kids, and a mortgage and the fact that I want to finish this project before I'm 100, I chose to simply upgrade the stock suspension.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

-
Back