5.9 build

-

pat d

Reaction score
Hey guys been looking at these threads for a while need some advice. I have a Dakota r/t with a 408 short block building now -23 dish piston need advice on a cam and heads , currently have pie magnum EQs level 1 and huges air gap fi intake cam now is comp 5.28-5.36ex and 2.18- 2.24 on a 114lsa mid length headers 1 3/4 4.10 gears and stock 46re trans/convert. Looking for 450-500hp for street driver with a/c what can I do with what I have??

Are your heads the older better Australian or New Zealand castings or the current Chinese castings? It will likely make a difference in power potential. If you are not sure how to tell the difference just post a picture of either end of one of your heads.

Have you run the heads? I’m actually contemplating a set of PIE Stage 1’s and Utawesome kegger mods for my 1998 Grand Cherokee.
The new EQ’s have a lot of improvements like a thicker deck and cooling passages, both of which reduce cracking.

Not sure on the heads truck is in shop getting other work done they have freeze plugs on end if I remember they look real good out of box. go for stage 2 if you going to buy new I got cheap and now I’m in this situation, was going for Hemi swap .

Here you go

68394938620__27EAF87A-383B-466B-8D0B-887F6EEA68DE.jpeg

68394941116__38D439A2-6B67-4F90-93B0-B1981BD33712.jpeg

68394945372__EFA6226B-1535-4D3F-B271-5041C09E341B.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

These heads are from pie racing with level 1 porting 2.02/1.60 valves and some intake work done

Assuming naturally aspirated, getting to 500 HP is going to be a challenge.

You will need considerably better head flow and much more cam.

Assuming naturally aspirated, getting to 500 HP is going to be a challenge.

You will need considerably better head flow and much more cam.
Add a 100 shot of GAS, no ring gap worry at that level , $500 gives 100 HP, and a full second in the 1/4 !!
Best bang for the $

Trick Flows are off the shelf proven 500 hp plus heads with reasonable cam and cr, Edelbrocks can probably get there with enough cam but more than likely be under 500 hp unless ported, ported Aluminum speed masters are another option.

Could get yours ported, 500 hp probably a stretch without a lot of cam.

From what I've notice you need around 1.8 cfm per hp with reasonable cam and cr making it 250-280 cfm to make 450-500 hp with like around 10:1 & 240° ish cam.

These guys hers have a lot of knowledge and experience. I believe that they will be able to help you out. I'm not allowed to commit.

Hey guys been looking at these threads for a while need some advice. I have a Dakota r/t with a 408 short block building now -23 dish piston need advice on a cam and heads , currently have pie magnum EQs level 1 and huges air gap fi intake cam now is comp 5.28-5.36ex and 2.18- 2.24 on a 114lsa mid length headers 1 3/4 4.10 gears and stock 46re trans/convert. Looking for 450-500hp for street driver with a/c what can I do with what I have??
Nothing really. Your heads suck and being governed by the computer even if reflashed in a not going to get you there.

Honesty? You got it.

What to do honestly?

Hit the EZ button and get a super charger.
Add 1-3/4 headers if you don’t have them and fab up a good exhaust.
Trickflow heads would be a worthy upgrade.

Nothing really. Your heads suck and being governed by the computer even if reflashed in a not going to get you there.

Honesty? You got it.

What to do honestly?

Hit the EZ button and get a super charger.
Add 1-3/4 headers if you don’t have them and fab up a good exhaust.
Trickflow heads would be a worthy upgrade.

The Performance Injection ported EQ's are damn good heads for a REPLACEMENT for stock. From what I've seen shopping for my top end rebuild on my 5.9 Grand Cherokee is Stage 1 for a stock REPLACEMENT with your normal upgrades (cold air intake and exhaust/headers) and no reflash of the ECU needed. I have a Mopar Performance flashed ECU in my Jeep and would like to stay with that tune so no cam upgrade. Later when the bottom end needs rebuilt I will do a modest cam and see whether it'll needs new tune then.

PIE Stage 2 ported EQ you would need better intake and throttlebody and a reflashed ECU for certain but this is still in the STOCK REPLACEMENT area. Of course the Stage 1 normal upgrades like cold air intake and exhaust. But really, we're not talking about 500 hp Hot Street builds here. The Stage 2 heads and all the other stuff is simply the best you could do with stock equipment. Look at UTawesome's site and the Hughes Dyno numbers for their Magnum Air Gap. Those dynoed engines mostly use a stock head with the exception of one of Hurghes' dyno engines having Edelbrock's which are slightly better than Stage 1 PIE EQ's.

TO get to 500 let's just cut to the chase. You have the wrong equipment. It doesn't suck. It's just that you will need the cfm of Trick Flow 190's and a single plane with long runners. You could go with a number of the billet Magnum fuel rails and use a Victor EFI and a 52mm throttlebody from UTawesome. You would 1000% need an SCT tuner and, depending on your tuning abilities, pay someone to lay out a tune for you. UTawesome can do the remote tune but you still have to have the SCT tuner.

Rob brings up an excellent point about a supercharger. PIE is a Procharger dealer. I have a D1 on a 408 and Hughes stage 2 Edelbrocks and it is/was a beast like no other. You could add a Procharger to your set up right now and with tuning you would have a forced induction engine with a tame-ish cam having linear power and getting up to where your knocking on 500 hp's door. Maybe change out the Hughes intake with the Victor EFI and 52mm UTawesome TB.

-
Back