5.9 grand Cherokee limited swap to 1969 dart

-
My question is what tourqe converter do I or can I use? Please stop the hype of Magnumswap.com. They provide a lot of info, but not enough to pertain to every application.

Again, I hear all of you guys say that using the search function will help me in my research..... wrong. I've tried every combo of a magnum swap or 5.9 swap and only get a few threads. So, a few hands on accounts will help a lot more than a few suggestions to the search engines and God forbid Magnumswap.com. Any of your hands on tried and true accounts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million! I'll be posting every step in my swap to better help new members.

Use the OEM magnum harmonic balancer and the magnum flexplate. Elongate one hole on the flexplate to fit the 904 neutral balance converter from your 318. You may have to grind the block just above the oil pan rail driverside rear for the mini starter to clear. I also had to grind the center pad engine mount on the driver side for the summit headers to clear. I used a mopar M1 dual plane and modified the stock LA V8 throttle valve linkage to work. You also need to modify the drivers side engine mount from your 318 to fit the 360, passenger side is the same as 318. Center sump oil pan needs to be used.

Thx mderoy, I've researched a ton of sites. This is my favorite. Everyone on here is awesome and has great experience. This old dart was bought new by my great grandmother so I will have it forever. I just want to do it right. Magnumswap.com helps greatly if you are a seasoned motor vet, but I'm just a freaking aerospace welder.

Haha, tig welding is easy in theory but very tricky. Mig welding is for monkey's lol. Thanks to everyone for your tips and advise. I'll be delving into this swap around March or April to avoid the hell on earth that is the summer in Phoenix. Never let anyone talk any of you into moving here, yes it's nice in the winter. But you have to live thru over 6 months of 105+ degree temperatures. I'd rather shovel snow and chop wood than work a full day when it's 118-120 degrees outside. That's just me tho. Enjoy the polar vortex! It was 81 degrees here yesterday, hahahahahaha!!!!

I have been researching this swap for months and will be doing the swap within 2-3 weeks. I would be doing the swap this weekend but something came up and I will be out of town. I wish you wouldn't say anything negative about magnumswap.com when it was put up by one of our fellow members and has been EXTREMELY helpful to me on this project.

I will try to document the weekend I actually swap these engines and start a thread to post pictures and let everyone know if I run into any issues that haven't already been addressed in this thread. Feel free to PM me if you have any quesitons. Here is a pic of my nasty black junkyard dog waiting to be dropped in the Dart.

Also thanks to all the FABO members who have helped me with this project!

Attachments

• Magnum 360 - 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 119
I wish you wouldn't say anything negative about magnumswap.com when it was put up by one of our fellow members and has been EXTREMELY helpful to me.

I never said anything negative about Magnumswap.com. I was just looking for more info and everyone just kept referring me to that site that doesn't have the answers to the questions I was asking. That site has helped me immensely too but doesn't answer every question I had, so therefore I started this thread. I will be looking forward to your new posts of your progress and hope I can get some advice from you when I need it the most. Rock on my friend, and good luck on the swap!

Yes it is a 80,000 mile 5.9 magnum out of a 2001 RAM i found in a junkyard. Pulled the heads off and found no cracks and you could still see factory cross hatching in the cylinder walls. My dad helped me do a little head clean up (bowl blending) but other than that I just used Hughes 1110 springs and retainers and put the stock heads back on with the thin Mr. Gasket head gasket to up the compression a little bit.

Using an Edelbrock Air Gap and a 4779 Holley 750 DP. The cam I got custom ground from Comp and the specs are listed below.

Duration at .50 - 230/236
Lift - .506/.513
Centerline - 106
LSA - 110

I am hoping for low 12s right now because I only have a 2500 stall converter. Later this year I hope to beef up the trans and have a reputable company build me a custom converter for my application. Running a 3.91 SG with a 275/60/15 MT drag radials.

I think everyone has covered the major magnum issues in this thread so far but feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I will probably know more in a few weeks when I actually do the swap.

These engines,are amazing... Mine was for free,had 150k on it. Bearings were good on main & rods,perfect crosshatch. O.P,sorry I couldn't help on the 904 setup,it's the same as the 727 I did.

I sent my fairly small roller to oregon cams and they reground it for 150.00. Talk to Ken he's real knowldgeable and can grind it with several options. He changed mine a great deal and it sounds nasty as hell. Mine is a LA roller 5.9 but shares the same cam as the magnum without the mechanical fuel pump eccentric. Good luck on the build I'll be following. I have a cherry stock roller cam if your cam is wiped at all I'll sell you cheap that you could have reground.

-
Back