5.9L Magnum questions

-
Hot rodding is fun, ain't it. :D

I went with Ken's 1280 grind on RRR's recommendation. But I'm running Edelbrock 2.02 heads so the .517 lift wasn't a concern. I love it.

I sent my short block out for hot tank, hone, polish crank, new rings, main, rod, and cam bearings. Then I put it together myself.

Supposed to have had 75,000 miles on it. Plenty of cross hatch, but cam bearings were all toast (pretty normal).

Happy Hot Rodding!

Got to the point where I wanted to inspect all the bearings. Here's what I found out when I was checking the first rod bearing and I pushed the piston out- a fair chunk of piston between the ring grooves was just held in by the rings and bore. Fell out into my hand. Rod bearings are pretty worn, but no scratches. Cam bearing is DONE, pieces stuck to the pickup screen. Looks like it was eaten by acid. Yippee.

20240929_131120.jpg

20240929_130941.jpg

20240927_134949.jpg

20240927_115957.jpg

Got to the point where I wanted to inspect all the bearings. Here's what I found out when I was checking the first rod bearing and I pushed the piston out- a fair chunk of piston between the ring grooves was just held in by the rings and bore. Fell out into my hand. Rod bearings are pretty worn, but no scratches. Cam bearing is DONE, pieces stuck to the pickup screen. Looks like it was eaten by acid. Yippee.

View attachment 1716309401

View attachment 1716309402

View attachment 1716309403

View attachment 1716309404
That is why you always check, gaskets are cheap.

Looks like typical Magnum stuff. Sealed Power replacement pistons/pins are 176 and change from Summit Racing.

I obviously need new cam bearings. Do I have to buy a tool for this job, or is there a decent way to get them out/in without one?

I obviously need new cam bearings. Do I have to buy a tool for this job, or is there a decent way to get them out/in without one?
Yes, requires the tool. If you're careful, you don't need the tool for removal. You'll have to be very careful not to nick or gouge the bores taking them out. So, if you're taking it to a shop for a hone and clean up, just have them do the cam bearings too.

if you're taking it to a shop for a hone and clean up, just have them do the cam bearings

That's what I did when I swapped to a Magnum.

I tore it down to just crank, pistons, and rods. Had them tear it down and hot tank it, polish the crank, new main, rod and came bearings, hone and new rings. I took it from there and finished the build with a reground cam from Oregon Cam Grinding, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, air gap and carb.

At first I ran an electric fuel pump but later bought the Hughes Cam extension and switched back to a mechanical pump.

Yes, requires the tool. If you're careful, you don't need the tool for removal. You'll have to be very careful not to nick or gouge the bores taking them out. So, if you're taking it to a shop for a hone and clean up, just have them do the cam bearings too.
^^^ this right here.

if you're rolling to the machine shop to have other work done anyway, have them bust out the cam bearings drop the cam in do the freeze plugs/galley plugs etx.

it'll probably be cheaper than tool and two sets of cam bearings (you'll gack at least one getting them in, so you'll buy two sets).

That's what I did when I swapped to a Magnum.

I tore it down to just crank, pistons, and rods. Had them tear it down and hot tank it, polish the crank, new main, rod and came bearings, hone and new rings. I took it from there and finished the build with a reground cam from Oregon Cam Grinding, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, air gap and carb.

At first I ran an electric fuel pump but later bought the Hughes Cam extension and switched back to a mechanical pump.
Sounds like what I was planning ( except with iron heads). What grind did you go with from Oregon? How does it run?

On @RustyRatRod advice I went with the #1280 grind. It's .215 / .223 @ .050 and .517 with 1.6 roller rockers.

I'm running a PTC 9.5" converter and 3:23 gears, but 3:55's are coming before long.

Runs great! I have no complaints. I planned to take it to a local track in Georgia, but didn't get the chance before moving to Florida. Now the closet track is a long drive. I'm not a racer, but I'd love to know what it could run!

-
Back