5 speed Dakota tranny?

-

cbrxxtreme

Reaction score
Well my 1st post, thought I'd ask a question my father and I have been wanting to do to his one owner 1970 Barracuda convertable. He has a 5spd Dodge Dakota tranny, and we'd like to put it in the cuda. Specifics, the car has the original 318c.i. with a 3 speed manual shift on the floor. Dad couldn't afford the 4speed, and had to have a standard shift when he ordered the car.

How much of a job is this, I was told it is a direct replacement, and since the 3.9 liter Dak engine is a 318 missing 2 cylenders sounds to be true. Although, the Cuda has linkage from the gear chift to the tranny, where the truck there is none, shifter bolts right to tranny. Is this just a case of different body styles, and the tranny's are interchangeable, or is there exstensive modification that needs to be done?

Would love any feedback, especially from anyone that has done this.

Thank you,
Traver.

park 030.jpg

I think this has been asked before, and if I remember correctly, it will work, but i think the some major things get in the way. Also, Ive been told that the dak 5 speed wont hold up long to fun shifting. I dont know any facts however.

Nice Cuda Vert BTW.

In all likely hood the 5 speed from the Dakota is a Borg Warner T-5.

As far as it bolting up to the 318, if the 3.9 is a small block with 2 Cylinders removed, it should bolt up.

As for lasting power, the T-5 can handle about 310 lbs torque, and yes, don't go nuts shifting at 5500 RPM, especially from first to second. My uncles HO 305 in his Camaro is rapidly decreasing the life of his T-5 because of shifting in that range ALL THE DAMN TIME.

Buy the Hurst 5 speed Short Shifter too, they were going for about $150 two years ago.

Kick up that 318 to 275 horse/290 lbs torque and stick bolt up that tranny. The T-5 should last a long while under daily driving conditions.

My uncle bought the Hurst 5 speed short shifter, and really made the Camaro much more fun to drive even though a new tranny will be needed soon :)

i put an a535 5 speed out of a dakota in my 73 roadrunner 318 magnum and it took some tunnel work. but there were a few different 5 speeds dakotas had.

Ok, I did not know the Dakota's had more than one manual shift tranny... not sure then which one we have?

I haven't had much luck finding any info on this topic, maybe we will stick with finding a replacement 4spd.

We just thought it would be cool, and different, plus the o.d. of the 5spd would be nice for trips. The 3 spd, is something we have to remember, as reverse is where 1st should be, more than once found myself almost taking off in backwards, after driving my truck all winter.

Thanks for the replies, lot of nice muscle in here.

I had a v-6 89 dak with a 5 speed and went thru 2 input gears/shafts/bearings in it. The one i had i think was a new process unit but I'm not sure. Shifted ok but wasent very strong.

Most later Dakotas had the NV3500. Pretty strong tranny. Not a quick shifting unit. Physically larger than an 883

Biggest problem with using a truck transmission is the shifter will be pretty far forward. Direct conflict with the dasahboard, heater, etc.

I wouldn't think the shift handle would be a serious problem. Somewhere along the way I think I had heard the Dak 5 speed had a shifter mount cast into the tail housing, but it wasn't drilled or tapped.

Sure wish there was some definitive info on this.

I'm swapping a Toyota Supra Tranny into my Dart and I'm right in the middle of the process.
Tunnel, propshaft and X-Member has to be modified.
Don't know the ratios from the Dakota tranny but I assume the are good for trucks. Supra and Dakota tranny share the tranny case (R154, AX15).

But I need for my swap the front bearing retainer (where the throwout bearing slides on). Does somebody have this retainer in his garage for sale????

http://www.drivetrain.com/vartransp29.html
http://www.drivetrain.com/transmanuallisting.html#ChryslerDodge
http://www.rsgear.com/Trans_IDguide_domTruck.htm
http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html

The links show the 3 manual trannies used in the dakotas. Since early daks using the NP a535/NV2500 could be had with a 3.2 axle, and had 14" tires on the base models, it is likely that the gear ratios are more suitable for a car than other truck trannies, but be prepared for a low first gear from any of them. Most daks with 5 speed had the 3.2 axle and it is not a good idea to have a 5 speed OD tranny with less than 3.2 ratio.
I have heard that the ax15 is stronger than the 535/2500, and just the opposite, depending on the opinion of the person who has had to replace one. Neither are suitable for racing, apparently. If anybody is interested, I have the a535/2500 available, with bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, etc. Got it from a dodge van in a junkyard, the engine was dirty, the tranny was very clean, so it appears to have been rebuilt. I can get it inspected at a nearby tranny rebuild shop that specializes in manual trannies to make sure it is good. [email protected]

I might be interested. Any possibility of pics and dimensions?

I might be interested. Any possibility of pics and dimensions?
I can do pics tomorrow, heading out shortly to visit relatives up in southeast Idaho.
What part of Texas are you in? I grew up in NE Houston area. Left in 64, tho, and rarely go back for more than a very brief visit. I have learned to like a dry climate, and there is no dry in east Texas....

Man you've got that right. "Houston, where temperature and humidity battle it out for top billing every day of the week!"

I'm just south of Ft.Worth, a long way from Houston. I guess there's no rus on the pics. I'm leaving for a lil fishin trip tomorrow, and I don't know that there is internet access where I'll be.

Any idea how much fabbing has to be done to get one of these under our cars? Where does the shifter wind up relative to the stock location?

Aaahh...whatever. Enjoy your day!

I have what I believe is an AX-15 in a 97 Ram Full size.
Truck has 200K.

Trans is by no means a slick shifting, powershift type of transmission, but I attribute that more to the age, then the transmission. 1-2 is not happy when cold, and 2-3 is getting grumpy too. I run full synthetic.

I think my transmission gripes are age related.
I do know that in full size truck with roughly 30 tall tires, and the OD + 3.55 rear gears, the truck feels like it needs an extra gear. It is VASTLY improved to a 727 or non OD 4 speed, but by modern standards, 65 is the perfect speed, anything more puts the truck into more RPM then what it wants to be at. But 65 "happy spot" is with 30" tall tires, and the OD. A car with 25-28 inch tall tires, would have a happy spot of 55-60.

For my setup to be truly comfortable in a car, I think a 3.23 gear would be needed, to keep the RPM down compared to the 3.55 in the truck, with 30" tall tires.

I think an OD vehicle, should be be able to run a deeper gear and stay in the "happy range". Perhaps this particular unit does not have a very deep OD gear.

Any idea how much fabbing has to be done to get one of these under our cars? Where does the shifter wind up relative to the stock location?

Aaahh...whatever. Enjoy your day!
Here are pics, as for body modifications, surely someone has done this before. As you can see, I have bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and if I can find it, a shifter....

5spdtranny1.JPG

5spdtranny2.JPG

I have what I believe is an AX-15 in a 97 Ram Full size.

For my setup to be truly comfortable in a car, I think a 3.23 gear would be needed, to keep the RPM down compared to the 3.55 in the truck, with 30" tall tires.

I think an OD vehicle, should be be able to run a deeper gear and stay in the "happy range". Perhaps this particular unit does not have a very deep OD gear.
The ax15 was only used in jeeps and dakotas. It is way too light for a full size truck. check out the links I provided in an earlier post.

Can't tell without a "side by side", but it really doesn't look that much bigger than an A-833 except for the large flange right in the middle.

Next scary question, what's a rig like that worth?

I'm swapping a Toyota Supra Tranny into my Dart and I'm right in the middle of the process.
Tunnel, propshaft and X-Member has to be modified.
Don't know the ratios from the Dakota tranny but I assume the are good for trucks. Supra and Dakota tranny share the tranny case (R154, AX15).

But I need for my swap the front bearing retainer (where the throwout bearing slides on). Does somebody have this retainer in his garage for sale????

lets hear about this supra tranny swap,,any pics,, sounds kool

Can't tell without a "side by side", but it really doesn't look that much bigger than an A-833 except for the large flange right in the middle.

Next scary question, what's a rig like that worth?
Reman shops want a lot, check out ebay....dirty nasty used ones start at about $100, without bellhousings, flywheel, clutch, etc.

lets hear about this supra tranny swap,,any pics,, sounds kool

I've got a bunch of pics what I did until today. But I'm not ready yet. I only need a few days to complete and a speedo cable. If this is done I'm gonna provide all on my Homepage and/or here...

I have:
Toyota Supra Turbo Tranny with dakota bearing retainer
Clutch from any Mopar SB fits
Dakota flywheel
Advance adapter clutch plate (needed because of Toyota splines)
Hydraulic Clutch release Assy Dakota
Propshaft machined to receive slip yoke from Supra
Selfmade Propshaft hump (floor)
Selfmade X-Member
Selfmade Tranny mount
Stock Pedal 4 speed mopar
customized Hurst Shifter
selfmade adapter to connect tranny input shaft with mopar roller pilot bearing

My deadline ist end of July (mopar nationals germany 1st weekend of August)

what is the advacne adapter you talked about ???? any pics of the dakota hyd unit??? very koool,,,any gear ratios in that tranny your adapting???

nice swap your doing ,,,

Well, I know an NV3500 will last exactly 5 passes down the 1/8th mile before it will explode when it's behind a 540hp 408 stroker..LOL.

Hey 68Sedan......where exactly is "south of Ft. Worth"? I'm here in Arlington right off I-20. You a member of Cowtown Mopars?

Yep. I'm a member and past Prez, Vice Prez, and Activities dude. And south of Ft.Worth is a nicer way of saying I live at the edge of the known Universe....also known as Alvarado. It's the intersection of I35W and Hwy 67.

-
Back