$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-
I didn't say freeze plugs......... soft plugs in the oil galleries and I said knock all the plugs out..........to try to oval out the holes in the bearings is a waste of time, you are trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing and just as likely cause problems as fix something.

WHAT do you think you will gain??

Just remember, self awareness is a powerful tool, stay focused on it.

You're still looking for a Hone?

it ant,..its effective to cleaning! never know what might be nesting up in side a motor been setting,..rust if nothing else, use old wire coat hanger to dig an poke around the bottom edges in water ports with water hose flushing it out be surprised what youll see come out!!!
when I had it at the carwash I jammed the power washer in every hole until in ran clean ? That's where I started my cleaning process...
a round file would work to...maybe safer for bearing,idk
good idea!

Also, if you do drill it out make sure you peck at it.,if the bit catches it will tear the bearing up. Just use caution if you do drill it..
I didn't think of that, (bit catching) but when you say it I think. "Damn-no ****!" Good point...
I like and dirty white boys approach to it, that sounds More careful.

Everything just went sideways, upside-down, and generally "all jpar-ed up!"
Kind of two steps forward and one step back?
Remember this build is a 360 of very unknown condition. Guy bought a dart with the non-running 360 and pulled it out. Put it on Craigslist for $50 to get it out of his face to start his hemi build. (Nothing vested in moter, just wanted the dart)
SOOOO- Yesterday morning I'm thinking tonight I'll pull the trigger on the re ring kit and last night I did. Soooo, I'm looking at mopar parts on Craigslist yesterday morning before work and see a 318 long block for sale. Ad go's on to talk about the previous rebuild 10 plus years ago- .020 over ect.ect.ect. plus u tube video running the day before. Just bought blueprint stroker - need it gone.
Soooo, I bought it and cancelled the rering kit for now.
he tossed in a few goodies transmission wise...
what to do ???? Change thread???? I did pay $50 from Craigslist for 318 ????
Both have there unknowns. 318 needs a lot more examining, not sure of the year yet, heads, cam ect.. but could/should run fine as is. Motor had sentimental value. I believe he has had the car (66 Barracuda) for over 20 years. Nice guy doesn't live close, but going to let me help him put his new motor in Sunday.

Oh yeah, I'm lazy, stupid, and lack self awareness !
FYI - for those of you out there watching this thread this is a prime example of how not to talk to people to get them to listen to you...
^^^ they could be giving good advice but this is probably all you'll hear^^^

let me get this straight, you add 40 cubes to the duster and now building another 318 for it.
I don't know about you. lol

Oh yeah, I'm lazy, stupid, and lack self awareness !
FYI - for those of you out there watching this thread this is a prime example of how not to talk to people to get them to listen to you...
^^^ they could be giving good advice but this is probably all you'll hear^^^

" All jpar-ed up" and you're the master...........

Still haven't said what you hoped to gain buy ovaling out the oil holes in the bearings..........

Ya been lead to water lotsa' times but you haven't taken a drink.........

What will we find wrong with the "Teener??

Well I might have to go with the consensus on this? I'm not sure if I should change the threat or what but I have made the decision that this 318 is in ten times better condition then the 360 is. All things considering the 318 it much much cleaner and much much more ready to run. It is of the 1972 vintage. Remember this is the motor and tranny combo for my wife's first drag car. I was just kind of wanting to do the motor thread here on the small block part and maybe a reverse stick shift to automatic thread. And then end up on the racing forum with the combo I'll put together? still on the $50 Craigslist budget rebuild anyhow?
Remember the whole time I wanted this to be a plug-and-play deal. Motor transmission And Driveline all of one shot. I do plan to put the Stroker motor on a stand and of course the four speed vertigate on ice. I kind of would like to start putting new stuff on the stroker motor like maybe a roller cam maybe a different profile and some aluminum heads and stuff like that. Maybe check the motor and see if I could check the bearings see how they're wearing and stuff like that, it's all just hobby stuff.
FFYI, I absolutely have not one bit a room for another car that's just out of the question. Please remember I got the 41 Studebaker also which actually was what I was going to use the 360 for anyways...

On a sizeable bet I would want to be able to drive car in the garage at 7am Saturday morning with the 318/904 and able to drive out 7pm Sunday night with the 410/A833.

Will everything on my current motor and transmission is extremely sterile and clean. And I've had it in and out almost every year. And I intend on the new one to be sealed completely and very clean. I want them to each have their own distributor their own manifold and carburetor just share the same headers.

On a sizeable bet I would want to be able to drive car in the garage at 7am Saturday morning with the 318/904 and able to drive out 7pm Sunday night with the 410/A833.
I would just buy a 727, stall converter and all the makings for the 410. A 318 don't have enough poop for my wife.
but then again, neither would the 410. ha ha

Well again I'm thinking make the 410 into something a lot nicer while she's learning with the 318

I was just messing with you. you have a plan and it's your plan.

Okay let's just go with the $50 Craigslist budget 318. lol
No sense in starting another thread for my Insanity will just keep it right here.
here she is....
20170324_140109.jpg
20170324_140044.jpg
20170324_140057.jpg

Supposed to be .020 over. Is said to have 35000 miles on rebuild but I don't think it was anything super major it did get bored obviously and it had an upgraded cam but that's something I want to take out and take a look at and measure just so I know if anything what it is. Want to reseal everything but I don't want to pull the Pistons out and unseat them. But I do want to put my windage tray on and also I would like to put main seal and get it nice and tight obviously it needs a couple other things too but it looks like tomorrow I'll just be continuing cleaning like I was before.

The guy seemed to be pretty good about oil changes it wasn't sludgy or anything like that by a Longshot. It did get oil on the outside of it here and there obviously but he had a remote double or filter on it so I could tell he was careful about that.
In comparison when I was cleaning the 360 oilpan muck mud oil..

I'm a little lost. What car is getting the 318. Which one has the 410 4 speed?

Nm see it in the background of the first picture.

-
Back