50$ paint job..

-
697C1C20-D6AC-4BE1-B452-F166BC5225FB.gif

I did it to my dart in 2003. It looked nice and shiny for about 2 years then got dull. Started to show thru to the primer in 5-10. Now 18 years later looks like it does now.
Oh and I should add that was gloss black tractor emplament enamel.
View attachment 1715706216

View attachment 1715706217

View attachment 1715706218

View attachment 1715706220

View attachment 1715706221

View attachment 1715706226

I really LOVE how you've stuck it out with that car all this time. That's just super cool, Kevin. Totally badass. It just keeps evolving. You're doing a great job on it, too!

I really LOVE how you've stuck it out with that car all this time. That's just super cool, Kevin. Totally badass. It just keeps evolving. You're doing a great job on it, too!
Thanks bud I appreciate it. Here is a picture of it in 2001. I was a real dumbass for wanting to paint it. I love the original color now, back then I hated it!

20210311_221234.jpg

I'd rather this not go to body and trim but just be an open discussion...
I spent hours reading about this last night. Fascinating to say the least...
I was wondering if anybody's done this recently? Of course pictures are worth 1,000 words when it comes to something like this..
For those that don't know what I'm talking about it's using Rust-Oleum paint and mineral spirits to thin it out. Using a high density foam roller and brush to paint and thousand grit sanding in between every other coat to produce what some considered a very excellent paint.. metallic colors off the table...
Yes.
When getting ready to deploy and the car NEEDED protection from the salty (alkaline) rain

& UV would corrode metal and destroy the Urethane paint of the sailors/administrators’ New vehicles parked on base.
(Their new cars lasted 4-5 years before their base coat was exposed to metal)

my f body purchases came from Colorado and were faded/vulnerable to corrosion once received.-

I rolled on (with a thin, hotdog sized Walmart roller-very smooth), rustoleum oil based enamel all over the car.-it lasted 4-5 years untouched protecting the paint and metal.
Around $30 a gallon and a little over 2 quarts gives coverage.

it comes off E A S Y with chemical paint remover and a green scratchy, long before the faded original paint was effected during removal.

So if you saved up for Urethane paint, cheap oiless compressor, and a paint gun in the mean time.

Jpar, if I remember you live up in the North West, it should last much longer. Plus, they make a clear enamel to topcoat or thin your color with clear.

Last edited:
-
Back